• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Longer Steer Tube with Flat Bars or Shorter with Riser Bars ?
  • noltae
    Free Member

Wondering what folks thoughts were on the difference between the two options ? Is it better to run more spacers under headset to achieve optimum fit and ride flatter bars or cut down steer tube and use riser bars ? Looks wise not keen on a stack of spacers – Surely it’s better to adujust handlebar height accordingly via the ammount of rise ? Are any differences in handling?

jim
    Free Member

If your hands are in the same place, handling will be exactly the same regardless of how you get them there.

Stevet1
    Free Member

^^^ Mostly true, however if we’re nit picking –
    A longer steerer will probbly add more weight than a change in rise in the bars / stem
    Also a long extended steerer moves the cockpit back, 2mm back for every 5mm up for an average head angle.

jim
    Free Member

A longer steerer will probbly add more weight than a change in rise in the bars / stem

But not enough to effect handling.

Also a long extended steerer moves the cockpit back, 2mm back for every 5mm up for an average head angle.

Right, hands in different place -> different handling.

noltae
    Free Member

Thanks for insight guys – I’m thinking little point in retaining more than 5 or 10mm leeway on steer tube – I could understand leaving more if I’d just spent loads on some forks and was concerned about resale value but I’ve got rigid steel ones (Cromoto) .. I’ve been also following the Stooge threads and Jonestown recommended 30-35mm spacers for more upright position – but I was also thinking riser bars would work well with steer tube cut right down – especially considering the frameset’s BMX ‘DNA’ ..

Doug
    Free Member

Stem lengths are measured perpendicular to the steerer tube in a similar fashion to how you measure fork rake/front axle offset. A 70mm high rise stem can be used to put the bars in the same place as a 70mm flat stem mounted higher up the steerer.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Stems are measured from centre of the steerer clamp to centre of the bar clamp. A 70mm high rise stem has a lot shorter reach than a 0 degree stem. In the above example one will have a longer effective top tube and a shorter stem, the other will be the opposite.

noltae
    Free Member

I’m thinking less steer tube also puts less stress on headset ?

honourablegeorge

Stevet1 – Member
    ^^^ Mostly true, however if we’re nit picking –

Plus the riser bar can be angled forward or back to give a bit of fine tuning cockpit length too.

DT78
    Free Member

Longer steerer better for resale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Longer Steer Tube with Flat Bars or Shorter with Riser Bars ?’ is closed to new replies.