Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Longer, lower, slacker…have manufacturers been taking the pee pee a bit ..
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Jut read the reveiw of the latest nomad..longer, slacker etc etc. They said the same about the last one..

Same with any other bike manufacturer out there, they knock a degree of the head angle every year, make it a fraction lower and longer, then market it as an improvement..

Given that this happens as sure as night follows day, is their real motivation to build the best bike possible, or to hold something back to ensure that people with deep pockets will see the need to upgrade every year.

(appreciate the new nomad has some other changes, but you get my point)

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t worry once we’re all riding barges they start going back the other way ! 😉

BlobOnAStick

I think there are better examples of manufacturers doing what they are there to do – i.e. wring every last penny out of the customer.

I am still angry at 27.5. But then I’m old, grumpy and cynical.

NormalMan

Don’t worry, soon shorter, higher, steeper will be the next big ‘thing’ 😉

ampthill

Given that this happens as sure as night follows day, is their real motivation to build the best bike possible, or to hold something back to ensure that people with deep pockets will see the need to upgrade every year.

Interesting question

Could they really have sold this years bike 3 years ago. Even if it was the best possible bike would the market have been ready>

PS 2 bikes bought since 2000, one used. So not really the target market here

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Radical doesn’t sell [well]. Get too far ahead of (or behind) the band wagon and you have a product which, regardless of how awesome it is, doesn’t sell.

For a perfect example look at the orange stage 6, sold out pdq in larger sizes but actually little different from the five 29 which didn’t sell enough a few years earlier when few people did big 29ers (spec. Enduro being the obvious exception)

Look at 29er dh bikes, suddenly awesome or now available from enough manufacturers (pro level at least) to not look novelty and be desirable?

You’ll always have a few early adopters but mostly we’re herd animals.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I suspect you see small year on year increments because they are frightened of making a big change, cocking up and losing market. I’d also check the numbers for myself to be sure there was a real change if it was important to me, in the motorcycle world I remember Yamaha releasing an R6 with claims of a higher rev limit (more revs meant better at the time) but it was found to have an overreading rev counter.

ehrob

On the one hand, there’s a definite air of cynicism about the whole thing.

On the other hand, if you don’t do the longer/lower/slacker thing incrementally and do it in one fell swoop, your design is considered too extreme and your bike doesn’t sell.

650b was different. I don’t know what to think about that. I went from a 26 inch bike to a 29er, now 27.5 and much prefer it. But that’s likely down to bikes rather than wheel sizes. So I’m just a sucker.

matt_outandabout

Don’t worry, soon shorter, higher, steeper will be the next big ‘thing’

I predict that the 29er WC DH rigs will lead this, and by early 2018 there will be ‘radical’ and ‘new’ geometry changes, that mean you can clear bigger rocks without fear of pedal strike, steeper front ends for faster response – yet retaining the ‘proven’ and ‘loved’ long front centre and steeper seat angles. 🙄

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I reckon I’ve been MTBing proper for 14 years, in that time I’ve had 10 bikes, so not a swapper or a one bike guy either.

The bikes have changed quite a bit since I started, but more importantly, the trails have too.

I’m quite happy to be involved in a pastime that evolves, but at the same time if you choose to, you can buy a reasonably priced bike that will last years.

I don’t for one minute think it’s any more cynical than any other ‘sport’.

YMMV.

edit – oh, and I’ll be watching the WC at FW this weekend with great interest, no – not in wheel size as I really couldn’t give a shit, but because it’s the showcase of our fantastic hobby.

Enjoy.

cookeaa

I don’t think it’s really for the annual dandyhorse swappers, I don’t really believe there’s all that many of them TBH.

It’s more so those swapping on a 3-5 year basis notice a bit of a difference and those changing on a 5-10 yearly basis will see significant changes…

Radical doesn’t sell [well]. Get too far ahead of (or behind) the band wagon and you have a product which, regardless of how awesome it is, doesn’t sell.

^^And this^^

Too much change in one go spooks the punters… But they’ve sailled close to the wind in recent years with wheels, angles, uppty downy seats, wheel axles, BBs and ‘Juan by’ gears…

BlobOnAStick

Yep – the ‘too radical to sell’ thing is a big one….

For instance, my 2012 Mega (I’m that up to date folks!) has the same head angles etc as my son’s Foes frame from 2007ish I think. Now you could say that Foes have always been a bit too niche to sell. His bike handles just as well as mine (and is about the same weight) but the Mega was heralded as a fantastic development when it was first launched 5 years later!

I think if we rewind the clock 10 years and show the STW of 2007 what sells these days most of us would have gone “Woah! thats far too rad – I’m not buying that it’s too much bike, where would I ride it?”, but what has happened over the past 10 years is that places like BPW have opened and suddenly there are places to use a bike like that. It’s evolution. And it just happens to help make manufacturers money.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My cynicism is actually fairly restrained by this stuff.
    There’s always been something focused on the march of progression in MTBing, years ago it was travel, the first Spesh Enduro which was one of the first ‘big trail bikes’ had about 100mm of travel, which grew to 120mm 130mm 150mm etc etc – at the time we wondered why they didn’t just make the first one 150mm in the first place and we guessed it was because they wanted us to buy a new bike every year or because they needed to give it a niche because the Stumpjumper was always an inch behind in the travel stakes.
    Then we got more gears, 7, 8, 9 I don’t need to type them all, again, why didn’t they just make 10 when they started and not 7? Of course we all got less in the end but that’s another story.
    Bars got wider every few weeks it seemed, stems shorter etc.
    Now everyone gets the ruler and compass out and wants to know the angle on the dangle of everything.

I could be the Evil Bike Industry has a big pow-wow every winter and decides how much they’re going to eek out for next year and they all agree, but I doubt it.

Partly I think it’s because there’s more going on than most riders understand, you can’t just load up the design of your current bike on CAD and hit a few keys and slacken off the head angle by a couple of degrees without redesigning a load of other things too.
    Also, if you did you might find that the bike is now not quite as nice to ride, or unsoddingridable by anyone who hasn’t got a half dozen Redbull edits under their belt. Years ago there was an interview with Max Commencal about Gee’s DH racebike, I’ve just checked they left Commencal in 2011, god I’m old, I would have said about 2 years ago – anyway, Max was saying how Gee’s frame wasn’t the same as the one you could buy, it had really radical geometry, silly slack head angle for the time (probably fairly steep these days) and they’d never sell it like that because unless you were a world cup level racer it was all but unrideable. Does that mean in the last 6 years we’ve all progressed to the level that would have won world cups back then? I really doubt it, it’s the other parts of the design that have been adapted to make a slack bike work for muggle riders.

Travel didn’t get longer every other year because they just made the same forks a bit longer and fitted a longer shock at the back, it was a redesign to make it not only longer, but usable at the same time. Bars, stems and head angle progress to make each other work, they’re not arbitrary things if you stick a 30mm stem on a 2005 bike it will be a twitchy little shit to ride, same if you stick a 150mm stem on a Capra it may not steer at all.

nedrapier

The circle, the circle of liiiiifffe…

If Jamie could knock up an image of Mufasa holding up Geoff Apps, that’d be super. Ta.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They do want to improve bikes and they do but clearly the industry decided cynically to do things so that you had to buy an entire bike rather than upgrade components hence the array of new standards in wheel size, then on forks, then BB, then on bigger wheels and so it goes on until the market [ those who buy bikes] stop playing the game

Still on 26 so someway from their target audience but one day I wont be able to get spares for it but it is still more bike than I need

MSP

The figures given for the current spesh enduro 29 compaired to the previous one certainly doesn’t equate to the claimed longer & lower.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I reckon I’ve been MTBing proper for 14 years, in that time I’ve had 10 bikes, so not a swapper or a one bike guy either.

😯 I’ve had prob 4 mtb’s in 25 years or so.

chiefgrooveguru

The 2017 Banshee Spitfire is a few mm longer in reach and lower of BB than the 2013 version, and the seat angle is about half a degree steeper. That’s it! They even take all the same axle and head tube standards. The 2013 one was ahead of its time, making a 140mm bike with aggro angles – since then everyone else has been catching up.

But Banshee is a niche brand that can be more daring with its models, it’s never going to have the sales volume of Giant or Trek or Specialized…

chrismac

The bit that gets me is when they say how radical some of the smaller niche brands are, but when you look at the numbers they are virtually identical to everyone elses.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I looked at the new Nomad’s numbers and to be honest the difference between them and my 2015 Jekyll with offset bushings in is pretty minimal.

matt_outandabout

21 years here.
    9 bikes, including two that were stolen, so really 7 if I had chosen.
    You are verging on being a swapper sir.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not if he still has most of them

NormalMan

This just made me do a quick count up. 31 years and 14 bikes, some of which did not last long.

Junkyard
    Free Member

had is the past tense

P-Jay
    Free Member

21 years here.

12 years for me, 7 trail bikes, 2 DH bikes which don’t really count as they were all but ornaments given how little I rode them.

Of the 7, one got stolen which means 6, but really if I drilled it down it’s replacement was pity bike and the one after was a frame rather than a bike per-se and that was shit too.

In reality it was:

First bike, which was the wrong bike (aren’t they always) that I sold after a year.

First proper bike – which I kept for 5 years, until it was worn smooth and knackered, okay, I stopped caring about it so much that I stopped keeping up with maintenance and it became knackered, it was still perfectly serviceable.

Second proper bike which was on paper great, but in actual fact a bit shit in hindsight, just about got it right and some sod knicked it, and it wasn’t insured.

First pity bike, a hardly used, but abused, year older, lower spec version of the above that I bought for a song because the owner thought he’d knackered the forks – £5 in Mojo and it was perfect, rode it for 2-3 years bit always resented it.

Second Pity bike, a well used, badly abused re-frame of the above with a dodgy repaint job, but it was a bike that I’d always wanted, should have saved some more money and bought a better one.

Third Proper bike, my current bike, I love it, it’s a year old, I’ll probably keep it another 3-4 years at least.

9 bikes, but I’d argue only 3 I wanted.

wideboy
    Free Member

All seems a bit farcical these tbh, hence me updating my current LTc with tubeless and a slightly slacker HA rather than fork out £4k on a new bike for largely the same result.

My DH rig is 3yrs old, and 2 wheel sizes out of date already 🙄

Luckily the .01 sec faster for your average WC racer doesn’t relate me too much!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

21 years here.

Meh, if you say so.

You make lifestyle choices that will have an affect how much you have left over for your hobbies, you made yours, I’ve made mine.

I’ve had most of my bikes over the last 3 years, I only rode a Soul with no other bike for a period of about 5 years, I’ve enjoyed trying new bikes since then, probably pretty settled now tbh, though I could sell the spectral 29 full suss as the Bronson is better at absolutely everything, but only having one bike has it’s drawbacks.

paton
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6asQP-e5Qr4
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6asQP-e5Qr4[/video][video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7yvjreKu4E[/video]

poah
    Free Member

major difference between my old 2010 ghost asx and my current transition suppressor. I’m happy with the change. not all bikes are as long or as slack as others, you have such a wide variety of bikes to choose from these days.

ajantom

The circle, the circle of liiiiifffe…

If Jamie could knock up an image of Mufasa holding up Geoff Apps, that’d be super

Thing is, I’ve ridden a couple of versions (including this one) of Geoff’s bikes, and they are amazing for what he has designed them for. Namely off-piste pootling, deep mud, and ridiculously steep hills.

On the other hand for fast, rooty, techy single-track my long, low and slack DME trailstar is perfect.

For a lot of people something like Geoff’s bike would be perfect. But, you know, fashion.

nickc

or to hold something back to ensure that people with deep pockets will see the need to upgrade every year.

Interesting choice of words…Upgrade…Most countries the deal is pretty much that folks change their whole bike every couple of years or so…It’s only really the UK that does this whole customs Frame and bits…thing. which makes stuff like wheel size change a whole heap of trouble that doesn’t really effect the rest of the market in the same way.

I am still angry at 27.5

Really? Why

BigDummy
    Free Member

Unless you’re suggesting that a large industry cartel regulates head angles, if:

– a 3 degree slacker head angle is self-evidently better in 2017; and
    – in 2017 Company A decides to do a 1 degree slacker angle to keep two more years of “improvements” to its geometry in reserve

then Company B,which goes straight to a 3 degree slacker angle in 2017 should expect to be able to outsell Company A in 2017 and 2018 because its bikes are self-evidently better. 😕

It’s far from clear that anything like this is happening. Instead, you’ve got a few mad-sounding people like Chris Porter muttering about the need for everything to be totally different, and everyone else tinkering and refining a bit and hoping for the best and (for example) cobbling together this year’s 29er DH bike from last year’s 650b DH bike’s front end and an angleset.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I am still angry at 27.5

I was, I’ve got over it.

Is it better? Dunno really, my 27.5 bike is a better than my old 26 bike some areas a little and in some a bit more. Is it because of the wheel size or something else? Again dunno. Is the ‘something else’ an advancement made possible because of the wheels? Dunno.

Truth is a lot of the fears we had didn’t come to pass – apart from the odd niche brand and poor old Spesh who went ahead with 29er trail and Enduro bikes (coz that was ever going to work…) the industry ‘went 27.5’ in 2014 which of course was Sept 2013 is you use a calender, 3.5 years ago – can you still get rims? Yes, plenty, can you still get tyres, yes plenty, can you still get forks – okay they’re limited but you can still service the ones you have, and I think it’s fair to say no one is building new, new 26″ bikes, not middle of the road trial bikes anyway.

I’d bet you can still get all the consumables you need to keep a 26er running for years to come, there’s still piles of them being ridden every week.

ampthill

The bikes have changed quite a bit since I started, but more importantly, the trails have too.

I suppose it’s the last bit that is controversial. Have the trails changed? If you talking about say Woburn (local to me) then yes people have cut lines with jumps and berms and these are subject to change with. But the rights of way new work hasn’t. I find the bottom bracket low enough to be a pain in ruts and and it isn’t low by modern standards

jamesoz

Agree with Ampthill. Low bb’s have started to annoy me so much I’m riding my older bikes more and more.
    There’s little difference in speed except I can run what length cranks I want, run more sag if I want and pedal when I want.

People will say technique, ratchet etc etc but on a flattish rocky track or if the trail has eroded into a dip my bike from the early 2000’s is way better than my modern bike.

sargey2003

All geometry is a compromise but ride a 65/66 degree HA 72+ SA bike with a low BB for a while and then jump back onto a late 90’s or early 00’s machine and feel the twitchiness.

I’d happily adopt 165mm cranks to reduce pedal strikes rather than raise the BB 5mm.

Modern geometry works pretty well almost everywhere.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yORN4uCkc_M[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP-wRjE1kU8

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6asQP-e5Qr4[/video]

paton
    Free Member

Geoff Apps says

Stability…

Wheelbase…

cookeaa

My first ‘proper’ MTB was one of these:

I loved it and looking at it now it doesn’t exactly look unridable… But I wouldn’t choose it now over an equivalent bike from the last decade or so…

I mean pretty much everything on it is now ‘obsolete’ and now ~25 years on the frame probably seems a bit more like touring geometry than what people would recognise as a mountain bike today.

I really don’t think “the industry” knew the secret formula for an awesome mountain bike back then but were just holding it back to help 30 odd years of future sales… There’s been a long development curve, technologies borrowed from other areas and some oddballs trying weird things only for them to eventually be adopted by the mainstream.

Of course MTBing is very different today, lots of varied niches and the new golfer contingent, plus being a sport/pastime that you can pick up at 6 and probably still be doing past 60, mean it’s become a much bigger business, the likes of specialized, Trek and Giant are far bigger organisations today and it’s not unreasonable to be at least a bit cynical about the development and marketing of modern MTBs…

jamesoz

sargey2003 – Member
    All geometry is a compromise but ride a 65/66 degree HA 72+ SA bike with a low BB for a while and then jump back onto a late 90’s or early 00’s machine and feel the twitchiness.

I’d happily adopt 165mm cranks to reduce pedal strikes rather than raise the BB 5mm.

Modern geometry works pretty well almost everywhere.

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    Thing is I don’t understand why everybody needs a low bb to ride round the woods or down an Alp for that matter.
    I often switch between a from 99/early 2000’s and a 2015 bike. Takes a few minutes to adjust either way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Longer, lower, slacker…have manufacturers been taking the pee pee a bit ..’ is closed to new replies.