Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Long travel suspension fork twang!
  • roswell
    Free Member

Hi All,

I have recently built up a bike and purchased a pair of 150 mm RS Sektors with a 20mm maxle from the classifieds here – reportedly in full working order. I have never had experience of a long travel fork (I previously had a 100 mm Tora)so wasn’t really sure what to expect. I took the bike out for it’s maiden ride recently and noticed that the forks were not as rigid as I thought they would be. There is a noticable flex/ twang through the fork, particularly when riding quite hard. It seems to occur at the lower end of the fork i.e. towards the wheel. The headset and crown all appear to be firm. There is a bit of flex when I turn the bike upside down and put lateral pressure on the fork legs.

Is this normal to get a bit of flex? If not what could the problem be? Am I about to experience a catastrophic fork failure?

Cheeers

R

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Depends how hold hard you are riding. I have some sektor and they certainly flex more than the 34 or 35 fork chassis.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have just removed my Revs again having suffered terrible fork flutter…..brake side bushing has developed play… After 12 months hard riding…..again. So much so they’re not going back on I’ve put the heavier Bombers back on the Stiffee for the stouter stanchions to handle my abuse better.
    I had been looking at Lyriks and Fox 36s as they’re more suited for me and they’re inherently stiffer. I would say if they’re fluttering now you need new bushes in them…..

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Sektors are only up to slightly heavier XC riding IMO. They are flimsy, flex and seem to have top out wobble from new, pack up quick after repeated hits no matter how you set them up.

They are more compromised than I expected and just don’t feel robust enough for a 150mm travel fork, not impressed at all.

Northwind

You guys would love a 150mm 32, Rev/Sektor is obviously a lightweight chassis and that has tradeoffs, but stiffer than the competition. I’ve run mine for about 5 years now, yep naturally they’re flexier than my lyriks but it’s never been anything that causes me any trouble

But to fair, OP, it’s realyl hard to say. Could be normal, could be knackered, could be some other effect of the fork

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Bushing play?

If not, put back on classifieds and purchase a set of Pikes/Mattocs/34’s/Sweeps/350 CR’s/DVO Diamonds/Bos Devilles.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Maxle done up properly?

roswell
    Free Member

I guess the questions are; what is the difference between normal flex and excessive play in the bushings? And, how can I tell the difference?

I have to say I spent a bit more time fiddling with the bike last night, making sure everything was tight and trying to set up the fork better and it seemed to make a big difference. There is still some flex (no surprise as i am no racing whippet) but not the audible twang and it feels more planted.

nickc

As Northwind suggests they’re quite long forks on a reasonably slight chassis. I’ve got some 150mm Revs which I adjusted down to 140mm, and I’ve learned to ride around the fact that they’re not the Lyriks I’m used to. If it’s bushings you can feel them ‘clunk’ like a loose headset.

Learn not to brake? 😆

jam-bo

if I’m riding terrain at speed that’ll make my forks ‘twang’, I’m not looking at the forks….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Long travel suspension fork twang!’ is closed to new replies.