Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Long travel bikes – what's the point?
  • captaindanger

I can see why you’d want forks up to 150mm, and 100mm at the back, but unless doing 3m drops or huge gaps why would you ever need any more?

votchy
    Free Member

Here we go again…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Want not need.

/THREAD CLOSED/

captaindanger

ok, why would you “want”!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Because we can?

captaindanger

I’m only asking cos I think I’d like a frame with 100mm at the back and 150 at the front!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My tandem needs a 150 mm fork – for ride height and to absorb big impacts while retaining some small bump sensitivity 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

I’m only asking cos I think I’d like a frame with 100mm at the back and 150 at the front!

get hold of a cotic hemlock – they’re ace.

wors

Don’t think you’ll find many like that, i reckon 130 fork, 110 rear is where it’s at ala Orange st4

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve got one, it’s a skills compensator innit! Bloody great fun to ride though.

Garibaldi?

FuzzyWuzzy

So I can sit down and ride over logs/rocks/small children, with only 100mm at the back you may as well be on a hardtail for anything but trail buzz.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Isn’t the optimal set up a long travel fork wound down to something like 120m, you’ve got the bling but are able to prove you don’t need it ?

wrecker
    Free Member

ok, why would you “want”!

Why not? They’re not particularly heavy, pedal well and add a bunch of versatility. A decent LT will be at home on normal XC, some DH and visits to places like the alps, BC etc.

Anyway, look at the Ragley 10-4. Not sure when it’s available though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but unless doing 3m drops or huge gaps why would you ever need any more?

My fractured radius says 150mm wasn’t enough skills copensation on my last gap jump 🙁

soobalias
    Free Member

tinas, snap, literally
    ok, not literally it was 140mm

you posted that frame yet?

OP – my long travel bike puts a smile on my face even if i only ride it out of the shed door.

Paceman
    Free Member

What’s the point in riding a short travel bike when you can go play on a long travel one?? 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“So I can sit down and ride over logs/rocks/small children, with only 100mm at the back you may as well be on a hardtail for anything but trail buzz.”

I suggest you have a go on an Anthem X (100mm) just as comfy at the back, if not more so than my previous 130mm travel bike, and yes the old one was set up properly.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Great thread. Ask a question in the title:

Long travel bikes – what’s the point?

…then answer yourself before anyone else joins in:

…doing 3m drops or huge gaps…

😆

Macgyver

My bike does have 160 on the front and 100 on the back. Well i say my bike, technically it’s our bike. Ventana tandem!

http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elconquistadorss.html

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Long travel bikes – what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.