Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Long travel bike ideas/advice
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Right at the back of my mind is the idea to build a ‘fun’ bike i.e something that’ll help and compensate for a 50 year old blokes age and total lack of freeride skills. So basically I’m an old roadie that rides road, a full on xc race mountainbike and singlespeed.
    Now I’m never going to learn much, and I’ll want something I can haul up climbs but also be slack enough to get down mildly technical stuff.
    I want to go the self build route, and I’m thinking that I probably don’t need top end running gear.
    My first bike idea is the Stiffee. But I don’t know this market at all.
    I’ll probably only ever use it in the UK as well.

phutphutend

Get an old stylee Santa Cruz Bullit.

Cheap, pedals pretty well, solid. Also the geometry is pretty good for beginners to the world of crazy…. nice high BB, fairly short top tube and high front.

Tracey

SX Trail frame

Tracey

AndyPaice
    Free Member

2nd the SX trail, a blinding bike. A 2005/2006/2007 enduro would also be similar to an SX trail.

Sounds like most 5″ travel full suss frames with 6″ forks would fit the bill, and with a reasonable build will come in at a descent weight.

If you are used to an XC race bike then a 5″ FS frame will feel like a DH bike. Just fit big grippy tyres for confidence and some safety factor

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Will add, i went from a BFe to a reign thinking ineeded more bounce for more fun, but although it was more comfortable, and required less attention, it wasn’t as fun, and have now sold the Reign, and getting another long forked hardtail.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

How about the Chumba XCL? shortish travel (140mm) but will take up to 160mm up front, very stiff and super tough and pedals well too.

fotorat
    Free Member

Heckler – you can even fit a 48 tooth big ring!

Tracey

Kevins 52 and still manages to get up hill on his

Tracey

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m more drawn to the hardtails like the Stiffee, Pace 305 and Chameleon, bearing in mind I don’t even ride short travel full suss.
    And it would have to be fourth in line budget wise.

flyingmonkeycorps

Well I can heartily recommend the Stiffee, I love mine. Or maybe something like a 456 if you fancy something cheaper and steel?

james
    Free Member

The Ragley mmmbop or bluepig when they come out? CRC says late june

catvet
    Free Member

Would go full sus,I have 140mm full sus and 130 mm hard tail, and run the Fs on a variety of tyres 2.35 minions down to 1.9 trailrackers for winter flat trails. The FS you can ride longer faster and harder.

flyingmonkeycorps

I have more fun riding my Stiffee than my VT, although arguably the VT’s not as good a bike

Gooner
    Free Member

oldgit i’m 48.5 and have this old style Bullit for d/h

(would nt want to be pedalling it uphill very far though!)

and this old style Heckler for a/m stuff

i am taking the Heckler to the alps in a few weeks with the Bullit wheels fitted

StuE
    Free Member

What you want is something like this

Mountaincycle Rumble

oldgit
    Free Member

The mmmbop looks spot on.

phutphutend

Gooner, your old style Heckler is in fact a new style Heckler!

Gooner
    Free Member

phutphut its a 2005 which is the “old shape” frame

the new frame is in my sights

Gooner
    Free Member

this might be more suited to what you areafter;

CountZero

oldgit, I recon the Mmbop would be just the ticket. The Inbred 456 would do nicely as well. Both designed by the same bloke, the 456 is a terrific bike. I have a prototype developement of it which takes up to a 7″ fork, and I’ve put a 6″ travel Nixon on, and it rides like a dream, just feels ‘right’. The Mmbop has some neat features, like the chainstay design that avoids chainsuck issues. Go for steel or Ti, you’ll appreciate the slight “give” in the frame, and get rims that will take a 2.3″ tyre, as that will also give a ride your arse will thank you for. I’m 54, so I think I have a good idea what you’ll find comfortable. There’s a thread a page or two back I think was called ‘show us your steel bikes’, or something like that, and there’s a pic of my 567 on there to give you a clue. I’ll try and post it up, but I’m posting from my phone, so it’s a bit of a phaff. 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

I had a go on a Kona Dawg Supreme demo bike this weekend and hated the whole thing.
    Even after adjusting the settings and re riding sections the ride wasn’t as plush as I’d expected. And the rear clattered all over the place.
    The tyres were pants as well, though of course they could be easilly changed (Maxis Minnions)
    In all I didn’t think any of it’s pay offs were worth the hassle of riding the thing all day.
    I’d rather ride a Trance X.
    So that sort of long travel is a no no.
    Really need to test a good rideable long travel hardtail, something like the mmmbop, anyone know if any demos will be available.

Dango
    Free Member

I’ve got an 08 SX and 08 Enduro, I’ve been playing with the builds of both bikes, with bits I have.

Just took the Van36’s off the SX and stuck them on the Enduro at lunchtime:

Should be a lot of fun and weighs 30.5lb

Jamie
    Free Member

You want something like this:

Added bonus is you can bolt some 160mm forks on if you want to go really silly 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

**cough**

Pitch

**cough**

(If you can find one)
    🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Long travel bike ideas/advice’ is closed to new replies.