Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Long Sleeve Merino base layers?
  • pk-ripper
    Free Member

Anyone seen any ok deals on them recently? Will be commuting to work a lot more this year, and whilst I wear a howies one over a dri-fit right now (my preferred option, as merino on its own is too clammy) I reckon i’d be better off with a couple more, as they’re toasty.

Anyone found some good ones, as if not, i’ll go for Groundeffect.

DezB
    Free Member

Will be going to Aldi at lunchtime, they’re doing them for £14.59… will report back here if any good.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as merino on its own is too clammy

REALLY ? I find it very compatible. Perhaps I’m naturally clammy ?

bigrich

i got an endura baabaa from wiggle for 20% off, and very nice it is too

pk-ripper
    Free Member

maybe, maybe you smell of clams too?

I just find that it holds onto any sweat, and whilst it stays warm, it’s not that comfortable riding in a top that’s soaked through!

bonzodog
    Free Member

Im happy with my Chocolate Fish base layer, though it needs to be pretty cold out before I put it on.

My GE Submerino is thin and almost threadbare after a couple of years use. I reckon the Chocoltae Fish will last much longer.

bonzodog
    Free Member
    Richyb
    Free Member

Ive got two endura merino base layers and I don’t see what the fuss is about, they’re not as warm as my nylon helly hansen LIFA, they’re more expensive, you have to ride about in a wet base layer, and they still smell of sweat even after ive washed them. Oh and they’re not cut long enough so they ride up and they’re prone to shrinkage unless you wash them really cool which doesn’t get rid of the sweat.

Emperors new clothes.

takisawa2

Aldi in Lichfield had a load in yesterday. They felt a bit thick though, & certainly not as nice to touch as some others I’ve felt.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

I have a howies long sleeve which i find very comfortable and warm got it in a sale last year for £25

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it’s not that comfortable riding in a top that’s soaked through!

well, if it’s at the same temperature as me I don’t notice.

you have to ride about in a wet base layer, and they still smell of sweat even after ive washed them

hmmm, you must have bought rubbish ones, mine doesn’t smell of sweat even though I only wash it every 3 months. I just hang it up to air after a ride. As for wetness, I fell full length in a river about 6 weeks ago, and was soaked to the skin, but it was still warm (despite 2° air temp)

cinnamon_girl

I’ve had the thinnest Icebreaker one for a few years now and reckon it’s great. However, although I’m a girlie, I do “perspire” so it does get a little damp but I don’t get cold. Can’t imagine how blokes would find the Icebreaker, could get sodden … and I’m not implying that some blokes sweat a lot 😉

BoardinBob

Aldi in Lichfield had a load in yesterday. They felt a bit thick though, & certainly not as nice to touch as some others I’ve felt.

Aldi did two different merino tops recently. There was a thinner baselayer one and a thicker jersey type which I assume is the one you saw.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve got the thicker jumper-style top. It’s a bit George-at-Asda-looking.

jimmy

Howies for me. Not too thick to go soggy, not too thin to be pointless. If they’re ever on 50% off again I’ll get another as they are a bit pricey.

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t buy an Aldi one – they’re not base layers.
    More like a mid-layer/jumper type thing. Feels like nice soft wool though.

DezB
    Free Member

..So I’ll wait for Lab-Gear to restock on their Ebay listings.

smorgie
    Free Member

I have a Howies one and an Endura one from Wiggle. Both good, both about the same thickness (thin). I’ve only worn the Endura one once but the Howies one has been worn over and over and never been anywhere near as smelly as the Helly stuff I have.

I personally don’t like putting sweat crusted stuff back on even if it doesn’t smell but my merino stuff doesn’t ever smell after the wash even in non-bio. Not sure what’s wrong with the ones Richyb has (or his washing machine.)

The Endura one with money off seems a good option to me (well it would do cos that why I bought one :-))

I got my Howies one in sale too, but their sales seem a bit poor these days.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Another vote for Choccy Fish, I have lots of their stuff* and it works great…nice long sleeves and bodies too.

SSP

Team Choccy Fish Endurance Rider

*I bought quite a bit before being sponsored!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I personally don’t like putting sweat crusted stuff back on even if it doesn’t smell

a short while after you start riding it’s going to be sweaty again, so I don’t see why it matters, so long as it’s not smelly. As for ‘crusted’, my shirt is just as soft as when it was new…

Richyb
    Free Member

Long sleeve endura baa baa worn for three commutes in the summer and then washed with fairy non-bio at 30 degrees and the pits still smell of sweat/anti-perspirant. And no I don’t have a sweat/smell problem.

smorgie
    Free Member

When I say crusted I mean that nice white salt powder that builds up when sweat drys………it isn’t a look I like (maybe I’m just more salty than most!)

Richyb – I soak my Helly stuff in milton for 5-10 mins then straight into the washing machine if I leave it lying around too long and the smell gets out of hand (i.e when returning from a snowboard trip.) It keeps the smell away for a bit, maybe it will work for your baa baa.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

When I say crusted I mean that nice white salt powder that builds up when sweat drys

not seen that…

bigrich

i leave mine in pile on floor, magically reappears clean and folded in the cupboard. there is some associated noise related to this, but I tune that out.

epicyclo

smorgie –
    When I say crusted I mean that nice white salt powder that builds up when sweat drys

Someone is not drinking enough or has too many electrolytes in his drink.

DezB
    Free Member

My Lab-gear one lives up to the no smell promise of merino.
    (But then none of my cycling gear smells after use, except of rose petals)

smiffy

Dezb, if you buy the base-layer one it is very much a base layer, with matching longjohns available, too.

DezB
    Free Member

You talking Aldi? Cos the only base layers I could find were polyester.

aleigh
    Free Member

I just buy anything and everything that wicks! I have some great base layers that I also use for running.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Embers merino.

I have both embers and howies merino tops and much prefer the fit and feel of the embers ones.
    Embers site

Icebreaker……. the rest are all imitations….. buy the orginal…. high quality but expensive!

miketually
    Free Member

Aldi have three different products that people are mixing up, I think. There’s a jumper-like merino top with a zip neck, a merino long-sleeved baselayer and a synthetic short sleeved ‘comression’ base layer.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Icebreaker……. the rest are all imitations….. buy the orginal…. high quality but expensive!

Or Chocolate Fish which are made in the old IB factory as they moved all production to China and still call it NZ Merino! CF ones are cheaper, last longer (by a factor of about 12 so far in my experience!) and feel softer as they are “super fine” merino which is 18micron or smaller fibres.

SSP

whyter

Another thumbs-up for Embers merino here 🙂

MartynS

i got a trekmates long sleeve merino from Go Outdoors in Stockport for £25, and very good it is to. Used it new years eve (-4ish) and on Saturday (just hovering above freezing) and it was really good.
    Best of all it hasn’t shrunk to the size of something the only a doll can wear like my craghoppers one did…

pk-ripper
    Free Member

cheers for the info folks – have looked at the ones mentioned, and was close to getting the embers one, but then decided to try a Ground Effect one, as I’ve met the guys there and they’re a good bunch. Plus, the stuff of theirs that I have used has been very good…

DezB
    Free Member

How about one of these, only £25 +p&p… hang on, that logo looks familiar…

fivespot
    Free Member

Just got a Fat Face long sleeve merino base layer from Cheshire Oaks outlet reduced from £40 to £12, looks and feels just like my Howies. Bargain.

gingerflash

“Ive got two endura merino base layers and I don’t see what the fuss is about,”

Nor me. i had the endura one and thought it was a bit rubbish. it got wet quickly and stayed wet; it wasn’t that warm once wet either. it took ages to dry after washing and still smelt, not a problem I’ve had with HH Lifa stuff or an ancient karrimor base layer. after about 6 rides, the buckles of the shoulder-straps on my endura tights made holes in the front of the top and I got a refund. I’ll be sticking to manmade fibres for the moment.

Richyb
    Free Member

Hallelujah, thought it was just me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Long Sleeve Merino base layers?’ is closed to new replies.