Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Long shot – international towbar question
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The garage here in Germany has fixed my car finally after its accident, but they have not replaced the towbar because they think it is a UK specific part. I think he just thinks that because it looks different – I can’t imagine VW changed the fittings for the UK.

Anyone know if he is likely to be correct? Do they change stuff like this in different countries?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

ISO standard tow-ball is 50 mm – this would be common to UK and Europe so far as I know.
    What else would make any significant difference?

Can’t see the fitting kit differing for RHD vs LHD.

rickmeister

Not an expert but I would have thought that the frame on the vehicle would be a standard fitting and thet the tow ball would be a euro standard too, 50mm ball… unless your using another towing system…

Google pics of the uk part, then teh same for Germany. They should have this on their system surely…

rickmeister

Westfalia make towbars in Germany for the UK market… cant see what teh problem is here tbh… (just done a Google)…

molgrips
    Free Member

I know, Westfalia are even the VW OEM parts that you get at the dealer! I’m hoping to go in there and Google them into submission with part numbers.

I think cos it looks like this:

And not like this:

He’s confused.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Could be that they tend to use swan neck towbars which are offset more from the car.

edit. Beat me to it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if it is VW it will have a part number on it.

Was it dealer fittted? any (uk) dealer should be able to look up original parts on your car from your reg plate and give you a part number.

HTH

also all diagrams are available here

http://www.wagenstad.com/

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I fitted it which is why it’s different.

thomthumb
    Free Member

where did you get it?

mc
    Free Member

Aren’t 7 pin sockets very much a UK thing?

Also, manufacturer spec towbars are far more likely to be Swan neck, rather than convention two bolt (can’t have a big ugly bit of metal ruining the looks!).

rickmeister

I think that the one on the blue car in your pic is a dealer fit rmovable possibly OEM, the box section steel job on the grey car is an aftermarket one, made by westfalia or similar. If your getting teh car repaired at a dealer, this may be the difference and why they may not want to replace like with like..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – international towbar question’ is closed to new replies.