Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Long Shot : Anyone work for a Ford garage / dealership ?
  • TheWrongTrousers

Got a question about rain-sensing windscreen wipers and associated windscreen sensor
    TIA

nickdavies

Ask it.. STW is the font of all knowledge!

belugabob
    Free Member

The question he wants to ask is “why!!??”

richmars

The question he wants to ask is “why!!??”

Automatic wipers are the best invention ever. Even better than heated seats.

isitafox
    Free Member

I pretend I have automatic wipers by simply turning the wipers on when it starts to rain

nealglover
    Free Member

I pretend I have the rain sensing wipers from a Ford, by simply leaving my wipers off when it rains.

TheWrongTrousers

Ok, here goes…..
    So, I recently bought a Mondeo estate, 62 reg.
    Dealer I bought it from (non-Ford) said it has rain sensitive wipers, which was an assumption on his part because it has the rain sensor on the inside of the windscreen, up behind the rear view mirror.
    However, it seems that it doesn’t have these rain-sensitive wipers after all (don’t care really, just curious), only the variable speed intermittent wipers.
    So, my question is ……
    What the hell is the sensor on the windscreen for then ? eh ? eh ?

itstig

Light sensor? For auto switching headlights

TheWrongTrousers

Nope, doesn’t have them either
    Nor the auto-dipping rear view mirror thing neither

richmars

Something for the air-con?

scotroutes

Standard windscreen on all models/trim levels?

nealglover
    Free Member

Earth connectors for the heated screen.

parkesie
    Free Member

Some times its all fitted bar a single plug in component so when someone ticks the option all the do is add said component and activate it in the diagnostics software. For example some citroen that didn’t come with drl’s but plug it in and you have them. Ford’s without footwell lights some you just need to fit bulbs.

jamesoz

It doesn’t work that well anyway. On the work hack, one click up on the stalk enables the auto wipe, which means it’s never quite the right speed or wipes the screen with a sudden light change.

Speshpaul

Mine has got auto sense with a intermittent dial as well.
    But you have to have the stark in the one up position.

TheWrongTrousers

Thanks Speshpaul, the intermittent speed wheel actually controls the sensitivity of the auto-sense wipers, if you have them, rather than the intermittent interval if you dont

renton
    Free Member

What model mondeo is it ?

TheWrongTrousers

Zetec Business Edition, 1.6 TDCi

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

My 3 series had it but if it failed it just went back to normal variable intermittent. I think this happens a lot when people put new screen in as the sensor has to be put on the window very carefully with out any dust or anything for it to work. Why not just pop into ford and ask? They will probably have the build info on record. Some features on cars are unlockable but that’s usually only if they need to put the equipment or module in for another feature you have. I don’t think any car manufacturer is putting that sensor in on a car that doesn’t have rain sensing wipers.

allthepies
    Free Member

Oooo, get you.

😉

TheWrongTrousers

I know, I am an ultra-important super marvellous business executive
    Er …..

TheWrongTrousers

johnnyboy – I did ask Ford and they confirmed that it was built WITHOUT the auto wipers.
    I asked about what the sensor was for in that case, they said they probably just put the wrong windscreen in in the factory !
    Somehow, I don’t really believe them …..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

In my car at least you need to turn the wipers on yourself before the auto thing will take over (as long as its set to auto).

TheWrongTrousers

yeah, the idea is that you put the stalk in the intermittent position and if you have auto-wipers, that will switch them on. The slider thing then adjusts the sensitivity to water rather then intermittent interval.
    Mine just do the normal intermittent thing.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Pop your reg* or VIN in here http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

…and it will give you a full list of what it came out of the factory with

*doesn’t seem to work with Safari, IE OK

Saccades
    Free Member

https://www.etis.ford.com/

stick your vin number in and it’ll tell you what your car spec is.

edit: In the time it took me to remember it wasn’t “fortis” – curse you cheese man

TheWrongTrousers

yeah, done that, specifies only ‘variable intermittent wipers’

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Long Shot : Anyone work for a Ford garage / dealership ?’ is closed to new replies.