Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • long seatpost 27.2mm who makes the longest
  • handyman
    Free Member

I am after a long seatpost about 430mm 27.7mm does anyone make that sort of length ,as a frame i am interested in needs a long post or i have to goup a size in frame which i would not do

Drac

What's the maximum lenghth of seatpost for the frame?

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, but if you need a post longer than that, you're on the wrong sixe frame. End of.
    🙂

wwaswas

Blackspire do a very long 27.2 post but, as above, you need to look at the frame for both max seatpost showing and fit if you're going that route.

I have a 410mm Thomson in my GF Ferrous but that was more about getting lots of seatpost in the frame (it has a dropped top tube) than needing to have the post sticking out.

Oh, yes, and Bromptons have very long seatposts – might be worth a look 😉

druidh
    Free Member

These bluddy frame designers obviously know jack shit eh? Imaging designing a frame that only fits with a non-existent seat post.

stevede
    Free Member

fsa do a 440mm post – got one on crc a while back, about £25/£30 i think.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

If you need a post longer than 400mm you are on the wrong sized frame.

TooTall
    Free Member

So you wouldn't go up a frame size but you'll go the the limits of component size to force a bike to fit?

Almost forgot to put the word 'chuckable' into this post – just so the OP remembers to use it later as justification.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

[/Rant (ish)]

Pah. So many people are still so influenced by roadie ideas when it comes to mountain bike design.

Imagine there are two frames with the same design, same geometry, top tube length and all that. Except: one has the top tube lowered considerably and requires a 400mm post with loads sticking out (with plenty still safely in the frame) and the other doesn't and only needs a 350mm post. The riding position is identical.

One will have masses of stand over and no chance of ever smacking your balls on the top tube. The other…won't.

It's all about some perceived aesthetic perversion of having a long post. But hear this: mountain bikes are used differently to road bikes, and more stand over never hurt no one!

[/Rant (ish)]

Drac

Mansonsoul we know that but there are limits as to how much seatpost should be exposed and there are limits to how long a seatpost can be.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

One will have masses of stand over and no chance of ever smacking your balls on the top tube. The other…won't.

Go on then, name that frame! 🙂

And why would you need that much stand over anyway? I crash on a frame that doesn't requite a silly seatpost and I've never had a genital interface! You're more likely to hit it at the front anyway ((What's the chances of hitting your nads directly below the seat? Zero?) and you're not going to be able to lower the TT at the headstock are you?

clubber
    Free Member

You're all wrong btw… or at least it's not necessarily the wrong size frame, just maybe not appropriate to you.

For example, I rode a large Pace 303 which is the right length (so the right size) but the seat tube is short and with the gusseted design you need a lot of seatpost in the frame. Mine just worked with a 420mm post.

My mate, same height but longer arms and legs would ride a frame with the same top tube length but with the saddle higher so he'd need a post longer than 420.

So, it's just that the Pace wouldn't be best suited to him rather than being the wrong size.

😉

oh, forgot. The Pace was VERY chuckable. Unfortunately it also broke 😆

Drac

oh, forgot. The Pace was VERY chuckable. Unfortunately it also broke

Did it snap below the seat pin? :mrgreen:

clubber
    Free Member

Yep 😉

Still Pace had said it'd be ok. They were wrong. No hassle on the warranty to be fair.

It still wasn't the wrong size though…

Ola
    Free Member

Gravity dropper does 425mm posts in 27,2mm. But it is a dropper post, obviously.

handyman
    Free Member

the frame is a low top tube 29er and my thomson at 410mm is has about 15mm less in frame than i would like, if i go up a frame size the standover is also 2 inches higher which is a bit closer than i would like. i rode the med yesterday my mates and is nearly the same as my 456 L is in measurements and reach etc but due to the frame design the amount of seatpost needed in the frame is slightly more than the 456 hence the need for a longer one

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Sorry, but if you need a post longer than that, you're on the wrong sixe frame. End of.

+1

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mansonsoul, what about the extra leverage the longer post will undoubtably exert on the frame? Its nothing to do with aesthetics and everthing to do with longivity!

Limy
    Free Member

BBB Longscraper seat post comes in 27.2, is 450mm long and RRP is only £24.95 if you are looking for a long budget post.

accu
    Free Member

the "shannon hardcore" post is available 500mm !! long ..but a bit hard to find, its a small german or austrian company..

have one on my old "way toooooo small frame"… 😉

expensive (bought it used ..ebay)) …heavy….lasts forever..

charliedontsurf

Spacialized do tall saddles if you need to eek out a few more mm.

Macavity
    Free Member

Do you work in a circus?

epicyclo

Bikes with extra long seatposts seem to suffer JRA* failures in the area of the seatclamp.

*"I was just riding along when the (insert part name here) failed without warning, and the bike is only used for my granny to ride 100 metres to church every Sunday on smooth tarmac."

Edric64
    Free Member

It would help if bike builders made bikes for those of us who are tall and actually like to ride with an extended leg rather than like the kid who has grown out of his bike .20inch frames need a 400mm + pin for me and then they always bend

TooTall
    Free Member

It would help if bike builders made bikes for those of us who are tall and actually like to ride with an extended leg rather than like the kid who has grown out of his bike

Not going to happen. They will build for the 80th percentile if you are lucky – so if you are above or below that, you need to work harder.

Saying that – there are taller frames than 20" (with the TT length you need before anyone says how important that is).

robsoctane
    Free Member

If i wanted to run a 400mm in a 14 inch frame, 100mm in the frame, is that going to be okay? what’s the limit regarding leverage?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I run 400mm on my On-One it’s just clear of the min insertion line but is the right size for em and the frame!!

People can easily have long legs and short arms

toys19
    Free Member

yeah what a load of bollocks is being spoken here about wrong sized frames. OP you ride whatever frame you like and arse to the internet experts. This is what is so crap about STW, bloke asks for advice and gets an answer to a question he didn’t even ask. Either tell him the supplier of a long post you know of or shut up and naff off.

wwaswas

Toys – a number of people told the OP of a long post and given he asked the question acurar ago it’s probably either worked or not by now…

Northwind

Obi_Twa – Blocked

If you need a post longer than 400mm you are on the wrong sized frame.

Brant doesn’t seem to agree, he’s twice recommended me a small of his frames and both times I needed more than 400mm.

balfa
    Free Member

Gravity dropper does 425mm posts in 27,2mm. But it is a dropper post, obviously.

I measured my 425mm GD the other day and it comes up as 445mm to the rails.

Sorry, but if you need a post longer than that, you’re on the wrong sixe frame. End of.

I’d agree in most cases but there are exceptions. Some frames require a lot of post in the frame. Liteville frames are sized by top-tube and have relatively short seat tubes e.g. 25″ top tube with a 19″seat tube. A long seatpost is needed unless you have short legs and long arms. They make 480mm 34.9mm posts specifically for this reason.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I seem to remember an Orange bike (maybe P7) in Singletrack. It had triple crown forks & a dropper that looked realllly long. I thought at the time, what a great idea! Now I’m copying that idea somewhat because I guess these lads know what they’re doing…

small bikes look cool & should ride well too. (opinion only)…

trail_rat
    Free Member

I seem to remember an Orange bike (maybe P7) in Singletrack. It had triple crown forks & a dropper that looked realllly long. I thought at the time, what a great idea! Now I’m copying that idea somewhat because I guess these lads know what they’re doing…

nah you remember psychles franken bike mess ….

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘long seatpost 27.2mm who makes the longest’ is closed to new replies.