• This topic has 63 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Long night ahead (old dog content)
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Away for the night until call from wife at 23:00 that old dog in v bad way. Two hour drive home and now trying to cope with dog with clear vestibular problems – sickness, dizzy, legs gone. Emergency vet £700 call out – but advice so far could be ok, dont panic.

Old boy tried to get out twice for a pee but cant walk and now I have done my back in trying to help him out and in. Panting a lot but in no sign of pain (I hope). Sent wife and son to bed and so Im on duty for the next few hours – grim.

Could be a long night… 🙁

Wondering if its anything to do with apple seed poisoising as he has been ticking in

Another load of vomit to clear up now

Markie
    Free Member

I’m hoping for you guys. Hold tight.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your news, that sort of thing is always worrying. We lost our Bailey two weeks ago now but he’d had two vestibular events over a year before that and pretty much made a full recovery from both so fingers crossed for you.

bruneep

How is pooch?

£700?? How on earth is that justified?

geoffj

Fingers crossed THM

Houns

Fingers crossed, hope there’s a happier update this morning

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thx. Fell asleep at 04:00. Now at vets on a drip. Seems some sort of vestibular issue. Can go either way. Fingers crossed.

At normal vets today but yes sounds like the emergency vet business is quite a money spinner. £700 was the call out fee. Treatment would have ended up close to £2k. Thankfully a bit of TLC at home got the old boy through the night.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Good news mate.

big_scot_nanny

Sheesh, been there before, hopefully won’t have to do it again for a good few years, feel for you. Rubbish. All the best to the mutt.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

House seems very empty this morning. The other dog knows somethings up with his mate too.

headfirst
    Free Member

£700 would give me…

sickness, dizzy, legs gone

Fingers crossed for the old boy.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Sorry for your troubles, THM. Are you sure it’s not somehow the SNP’s fault? 😉

Owners whose vets have had vestibular complaints – what’s been the timescale for recovery? Does it get worse before it gets better?

Our dog appeared to have an episode like this a month ago – similar symptoms. Started with limping, loss of co-ordination and balance, apparently blind in one eye, crashing into things etc. No nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite, though.

The vet reckons it was more likely to be a “sinister neurological event” i.e. a stroke or tumour, and doesn’t reckon he’s going to get improve.

As it is, although he perks up for food and can even manage a hobble round the park. he seems to be partially paralysed on his left side, with little power or control in his left legs. He’s in such a pitiful, faraway state outwith walks and mealtimes that we’re contemplating having him put to sleep this week.

bruneep

so what did you get for your £700 apart from the emergency vet in his limo with a chauffeur

duckman

Been there twice,it’s hideous. The hardest decision to make may yet be ahead of you,but the best advice I ever got was better a week early than a week late. Hope he recovers and has you looking at him in two weeks after he has just rolled in fox crap and thinking ” £700 bloody quid?”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Didn’t spend £700!!

I was in Midlands at an All Souls Day service to remember my father. My wife had to deal with first stages – the £700 was the call out charge for emergency vet. So I got the call to drive back home at 23:30 instead! The upside was M40 and M25 totally clear which was a joy and some interesting stuff in R4!!!

Not sure what the actual vets fees will be.

Seems there are three outcomes – dogs snap out if it and recover; they recover partially but have head droop etc or they don’t. Moderate improvement this morning so looks like we have to deal with 2 or 3.

My limited understanding is that strokes in dogs are quite rare. But there are variations in the effects of vestibular issues.

We shall see. Bloody tired now after staying up until 04:00 stroking the old boy and trying to get to sleep. Our first family dog, so a special one.

Thank you duckman or duck an as apple autocorrect would like to call you. Duckie is easier!!! Actually if it’s 3 it wil be ok, he has had a wonderful life, has not been in pain and has just had a sudden sense of disorientation. He is 14 1/2 which is a good innings for a retriever. We shall see. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

duckman

Cracking choice,Ted sends healing vibes. And the fox crap is a given
    Or it would be if I could post a picture any more.

willard

I remember doing exactly the same thing when my boy (Spaniel, now 9) decided he wanted to eat a crab apple whole and it got lodged. 2k later and he was nursing some pretty serious abdominal surgery. I spelt on the floor next to him for two nights just in case they were his last. He pulled through though (and still eats the damn things, albeit chewed now)

Both he and the younger one (cocker) send their best healing vibes to. Give him a fuss from me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Going to pick him up from vets in 30 mins. Probably have to go back in tomorrow, so could be another long night! Oddly last night he wanted to pee, but didnt want to pee in or near the house. Was desperate to get out into the garden which was so sad as he juts couldnt do it without me carrying him.

Tired the dyna-band solution to support the back legs but that was only partially successful

duncancallum

My Patterdale suffered from this id lidt she has an an episode every 9-15 weeks.

1st one I thought I’d lost her. Vet gave her some steroids and she recovered in about 3 hours.

She’s done it twice since.

My vet’s advise is just keep her calm. She doesn’t seem distressed just drunk.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Our first family dog, so a special one.

Feel for you but it maybe time to let him go….

It’s not fair to keep your fur ball of a best mate living in pain & discomfort for ones own sake…

Obviously, I hope the lad picks up & punches the barsteward with a scythe on the bonce with his fave toy!

jimw
    Free Member

Our retriever had a similar episode when she was 15. Dreadful to watch but within a couple of weeks she was back to where she was before, except for some unsteadiness and a bit of a head tilt. She had a second episode 6 months later, not as bad but she didn’t want to go far away from the house after that..the head tilt went after about 6 weeks. She is now almost 17, so they can recover from it and live a good life, so I hope your dog recovers.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thx, 50:50 staying at vet overnight which is probably best. We will know by Wed/Thur

bruk

Hi Thm Hope he has a good night. Idiopathic Vestibular disease is a tricky one as there are great variations in how quickly and how fully dogs recover and it’s not always linked to how bad they appear at first. Treatment is usually supportive with fluids, drugs to control nausea and sedation if needed. The cause is still currently unknown for most cases.

Most will show a good improvement within the first 48 hours but some don’t and then difficult decisions have to be discussed. There can be further episodes in the future too but no drug has been proven to prevent these some can help with their vitality in the meantime. Hope he improves quickly.

Ps I usually find towels better than dyna bands.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Beautiful Ben was put to sleep this morning. No improvement sadly so vet advised us.

Had three of us with him. Wrapped in a lovely blanket, in front of a warm radiator at the vets and in our arms. He was happy to see us if confused – a peaceful way to go.

RIP Ben

– but practicalities, need to take the other dog for a walk now.

bruneep

sorry to hear this. I do dread the day Archie goes.

🙁

spawnofyorkshire

Sad times THM, but it sounds like Ben had a great life and a family who loved him and were with him when he went.
    Go spoil your other dog now, they’ll be missing their mate as well.

willard

Dammit THM. Like you said early, he’d had a good life and you loved him, so be proud of that.

dovebiker

Sorry for your loss

bluebird
    Free Member

Sad times 🙁

jimmy

dammit 🙁

14’s a good age, though. Remember the good times

bencooper
    Free Member

Ach, very sorry to hear this. Sounds like he had a good life with you.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He did and thanks for comments – isnt it weird, the emotional hold that dogs have over us.

I had reconciled myself to the fact last night when I saw him at the vets but thought we would give him untl tomorrow, but took the vets advice in the end.

As sad as it is, having him fall asleep in our arms without any pain or discomfort was easier that I expected. He had a wonderful life and was a great dog. He passed away very peacefully and with more dignity than most humans!

Still have his hairs on me 😥

AdamW
    Free Member

Very dusty in here.

😥

jamj1974

Very, very sorry to hear this. Take care THM.

Nipper99
    Free Member
    duckman

That’s grim, but at the end of the day you did the kindest thing for him and put his needs over any other considerations, something that is so hard to do with our pets. Your other dog will be pining a bit as well.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers – he’s a bit subdued but still enjoyed his walk!!

Wookster

Oh mate thinking of you.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. 16 year old Boogie I’d being taken to the vet today. Not looking forward to that. Can’t see her 18 year old mum making it through the winter, mark you I thought that in February when I first thought of taking her to the vet. 🙁

hot_fiat

That’s sad news. My heart goes out to you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Long night ahead (old dog content)’ is closed to new replies.