Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Long haul flights – what can and can't I pack in what bags?
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

I'm new to long haul flights. In fact I'm new to flights really!

I'm heading out to India for my new job tomorrow morning and I'm packing my bags just now.

I suddenly realised that I don't really know what you can or can't put into bags!!!

I know from flying to London that I can't have liquid/gel etc in contailers larger than 100ml.

Can I stick a larger container in my big bag which is checked into the hold?

I'll be carrying my works laptop with me and I have a charger for that, charger for my phone, plug adaptor and a few other leads for it. Are these okay in my hand luggage or should I stick them in my big bag?

Is there anything else I should know? I bought luggage labels for my bag. I have zip-ties to lock the zips up. While I say my big bag it's not that big and there's not really much in it. Enough clothes for a week and a pair of shoes and my washbag – that's it. I figure that if I need anything else I should be able to get it in Bangalore?……

Thanks

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Check the airport's website… They're nice and clear about what to pack etc.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yup the rules for hold luggage hasn't really changed, so you can put anything in it. if you want tweezers, nail clippers, scissors etc as long as they are in the hold bag which is checked in and not your hand luggage you are okay. I'm not sure about leads, I imagine they would be okay however for safety I would probably put them into the hold bag. Remember you can't take liquids through security so you have to buy them the other side, ie bottles of water.
    I would be careful about zip tying the locks up, i know coming back from America you aren't allowed to lock the bags.
    I wouldn't worry about the size of luggage the size of handluggage IMO is ridiculously big and should be chopped.

iDave
    Free Member

you can't lock your bags

big liquids can go in your checked in bags

chargers are ok in your carry on

small liquids have to be in a small clear ziplock bag.

IA

Electrical things ok in hand luggage. You'll need to take your laptop out the bag to put it thru the scanner on its own. So put it somewhere easy to get out.

Write your name/flight details on a bit of paper and put it *inside* your hold luggage too. Labels on the outside can come off.

If it's all new to you get to the airport plenty early. Better to sit around waiting for a flight relaxing with a beer/coffee than be stressing and in a rush.

AlasdairMc

Any liquids over 100ml in hold baggage, anything under 100ml can go in a ziploc in hand luggage providing all containers fit in a one litre bag.

Laptop in hand luggage, you'll need to put it on a tray separately to go through the x-ray.

Nothing that can possibly be used as a weapon in hand luggage, the airline's site will have more detailed info.

jam-bo

you can't lock your bags

you can, but if security want to look in your bag they will open it…

geoffj

Make sure you put a couple of spare pairs of pants / shirts in your hand luggage and don't put anything you can't do your job without in your checked in bag.
    Remember ear plugs, iPod and inflatable cushion for the flight.
    Good luck

IA

I like buffs for flights. Make good blindfolds and stop earplugs from falling out. And nothing says piss off and don't disturb me like some blindfold action.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

I thought you could lock bags as I always see the little locks for sale evrywhere and they advertise them as such.

Anyhow, so you think my bag will be okay? I shouldn't bother with the zip-ties?

geoffj

You should use the zip ties, they can always cut them off.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Letter explaining any prescription meds (if any). The other half of a standard prescription will do as proof of prescription.

molgrips
    Free Member

I never use locks.

Some airports make you take your shoes off too, so shoes without laces are really useful here. Otherwise, advice is loose fitting clothes, long sleeved I'd say (can sometimes get cold on flights if they turn the aircon down); travel sickness pills if you might be at risk; a book; some snacks – they don't serve you a lot of food in the air so if you are likely to get hungry then take something; gum is also good, or carry some toothpaste and a toothbrush along.. umm..

DON'T take a large 10 month old baby.

TheSponsor
    Free Member

If I were you I'd get locks at the airport tomorrow. Also allows you to lock your bags in the hotel if the room safe isn't big enough to hold all your valuables….yes, someone could just lift your bag, but it's some deterrent.

For info, in my experience, the search leaving Bangalore airport was extensive for all the passengers I could see while clearing security.

PS – The shop at Bangalore airport doesn't have a great selection and is comparatively pricey to boot, so buy your pressies beforehand.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks again. I've a load of zip-ties and I'll stick a few inside the bag so if they want to look then that's fine. I can zip them up again.

long sleeve top – good call, didn't think about that.

I'm flying with BA and going 'world traveller plus' whatever that entails?

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, and CHECK IN ONLINE AS SOON AS IT OPENS. 24 hours before, usually.

Also, sit right at the back. It's quite a lot quieter, as everyone thinks up front is the place to be.

TiRed

You've probably packed by now, but the single most important piece of packing advice is ALWAYS PUT YOUR NAME, FLIGHT AND CONTACT DETAILS INSIDE THE BAG if you are checking it in. Labels come off.

When I used to fly with the Brompton I placed instructions and a brochure in the suitcase. It will get opened, and I just wanted to be sure it could be closed again!

This may also come as a surprise but retractable ID passes on a cord are officially banned from hand luggage – never saw the garroting incident…

NZCol

Yeah i always put details inside bags – contact details, itinerary etc just in case it goes AWOL. Heading to France myself on Friday so just working through our packing – 2 bike cases and 2 bags – we've got 80kgs of luggage allowance to London but then only 46 from there – whoops. Oh well 2 bikes at 23kg in a Serfas case and a 20kg bag will be fine. Best news of the day is the business class upgrade 🙂 🙂

turboferret

Don't forget the most important thing – your bike!

The only problem I've had was CO2 canisters, they don't seem to be welcome in hand or hold luggage, so I don't carry them any more 😕

Cheers, Rich

molgrips
    Free Member

Best news of the day is the business class upgrade

Bastard.

Flaperon

Put a couple of those nylon straps around your suitcase. Not usually needed but if your bag falls off the conveyer they'll stop it exploding all over the ramp. Bear in mind that bags do occasionally sit in the rain if it's chucking it down while they're loading. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes and given that it's monsoon season, they could get significantly wet 🙂

NZCol

Molgrips – I know 🙂 a 'perk' for us both being gold fckn elite ff'ers and therefore spending a lot if time in various planes ! However for a holiday you can be sure I'll aim to be well trolleyed before attempting to boff the wife in the toilets !!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

>Oh, and CHECK IN ONLINE AS SOON AS IT OPENS. 24 hours before, usually

the one time we didnt check in online beforehand the flight was full so we got upgraded so theres an argument for not checking in early (they will upgrade before they bump you off, if a higher class seat is empty its not costing them anything to put you in it).

>Also, sit right at the back. It's quite a lot quieter, as everyone thinks up front is the place to be

sit RIGHT at the back and youll get a fully reclined chair 2 inches from your face, with nowhere to go (back row dont recline in most planes Ive been in).

molgrips
    Free Member

Back row do recline in the planes I've been in, and since it's narrower there they often take out some seats so you end up with more space.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Long haul flights – what can and can't I pack in what bags?’ is closed to new replies.