Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Long haul alpine frame
  • adsb
    Free Member

I live in the S French Alps and am looking for some pointers please as to the best HT frame for getting far out into the wilderness. Has to be v good at climbing, like being dragged round steep, tricky switchbacks and put up with a lot of hard rocks on the way down.
    Currently have an old ally trek with 130mm forks which has much better legs over distance than my old fs spesh but struggling when it gets steep and is very shaky on fast bumpy descents.
    Very tempted by buy the Ragley mmmBop but have feeling that a steel frame may be the way to go despite the added weight….? The obvious choice is the DB Alpine but maybe a bit of a lump over really long climbs….?

Bagstard
    Free Member

I currently have a ragley mmmbop and am selling a DB Alpine, but am yet to use the Ragley properly. Although I didn’t do any huge climbs on the Alpine (mostly Scottish and Welsh trail centres)I did think it climbed pretty well, even with the forks at 145mm and a short 50mm stem.

The mmmbop does feel more sprightly, but it is a much lighter build. For the riding you intend I would probably go with the alpine, probably a little more forgiving on rock descents and has a nice low top tube.

If you like your Trek the Ragley will be similar only much better at descending, possibly even climbing and will allow for a longer fork.
    The real choice is probably steel or ally.

firestarter
    Free Member

Blue pig ? Same geometry as mmmbop but steel

cynic-al
    Free Member

“and is very shaky on fast bumpy descents .”

you needs the fs

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Cotic Bfe as another option. I know the TrailAddiction guys all rate their Alpines. I’ve ridden with them on my BFe and there’s chuff all in it. BFe has slightly shorter stays I think.

A decent travel adjustable fork (Lyric U-turn, Fox 36 Talas), big/light tyres (There’s a 2.5 single ply Highroller out now)sensible gearing and away you go. You won’t be the fastest up the hills, you won’t be the fastest down them, but with a bit of grit, you shouldn’t be far off, especially if it gets tight and techy.

adsb
    Free Member

Thanks for the great advice guys – I’m living in a building site so been offline for the last couple of weeks. I have managed to get out on the trails with the locals a few times despite them laughing at my bike, most riders in these parts are very lycra/bling orientated and think you need a full suss with the few HT’s being carbon – some awesome skills to be seen though.
    If anyone’s interested in the Alpes Maritime there are some awesome rides out here – lovely shot of a local trail with the sea on the bacground in the “Alpine Builds” gallery on Dialled’s alpine page.
    There is not a huge amount on the web re. local routes but try: Peille VTT which is a good start. I have a shed that may eventually become digs/workshop for budding explorers so watch this space as they say… Feel free to mail me if you need a hand putting together a DIY holiday: adamDOTbernaysATgmailDOTcom.

Latest bike thoughts: A full suss kills you on a 500m climb and as well as being easier/faster on the way up a hardtail seems much more controllable round tight switchbacks for the moderately skilled so no debate as to which way to go for me anyway. The real key is decent travel forks, some of the descents here are like riding down a stairwell in a block of flats so you have to have something on the front end that can take the hits – 130mm revs doing nicely for now but will upgrade to Pikes eventually.
    As to the bike, pretty much set on an alpine, plugged DB enough so will go on record and say that bright orange or green suck as only color options (sorry Mike) :-), spent most of my money on sand ‘n cement too so after a SH black 17″er if anyone has one..?

Otherwise can’t wait and see how the new Ragleys go down when they arrive, doubt I’m the only one!

Cheers,
    Adam

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Bagstard – you got some details on that Alpine frame you’re selling?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Long haul alpine frame’ is closed to new replies.