Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Long drop brake recommendations?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Sadly Shimano don’t appear to make current 105 or Ultegra long drop brake calipers – the closest I can find is the R650 and that appears to be from two generations ago?

What’s going to work best with my 5800 brifters? Current Tektros are alright but the pads seem to have seized in and I think the bike deserves an upgrade anyway.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I quite like these ones as there is a little shelf to put a spare loo roll on, or a drink or something. Use long screws though otherwise they won’t hold the weight of bigger boned people when they brace, particularly if they rock back while squatting due to constipation.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I bought one of the R650s recently. It replaced a 105 and whilst they look a bit cheaper, in use you can’t really tell the difference.

chakaping
    Free Member

How are the stock pads in the wet Andy?

mrjmt
    Free Member

I was in a rush to get my Kinesis T2 built a couple of years ago and didnt realise it needed long drop calipers.

I just got some miche ones from halfords, around £20 with BC discount. Was planning on replacing with the shimano R650 ones but never bothered. Stock pads were OK, swapped them for some decent ones and haven’t worried about the calipers since.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had some R451s, or maybe R650s, can’t remember but I think it was the cheaper of the two. Don’t think there’s really any difference between the two. They were great, far better than Tektro….got rid of them when the front decided to pop open coming down the front of Gummers How…..

Think TRP do some which are meant to be pretty good.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depending on the frame, you might be able to use standard Shimano calipers. My mate has a Genesis Equilibrium, he just stuck his old SRAM Apex calipers on there and filed the bottom of the brake pad slots out. They’ve been fine; he does lots of miles.

goss
    Free Member

The Shimano R650 and the cheaper version are just fine.
    Stock pads are Tiagra/105 class which works ok in the wet, plenty of power in the dry.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

I ran r450(matt) and r650(shiny) on my old commuter. Apart from cartridge pads being easier to change (r650) and the shineyness I coudn’t tell the difference. Both excellent and long lasting.

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t think the r650s are as powerful as decent standard drop calipers. Make sure you fit some decent pads – I like Swiss stop.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

chapaking – The stock pads are average. I’m using them on my commuting bike and they do the job. If it was my nice bike I’d probably swap for something nicer…

simondbarnes

TRP RG957 are a world apart from any other long drop brakes I have used over the years. Wouldn’t use anything else now.

superjohn71
    Free Member

I’ve got r450’s -good, but thought the standard pads were poor in the wet. Replaced with ultegra ones that I got on offer, much better.

TiRed

R650 are Ultra 6600 and work perfect with modern shifters. They are also very good brakes and I’ve never had a need for more stopping power even in the depths of winter.

flossie
    Free Member

TRP RG957 are supposed to be the best long drop calipers currently available. Expensive in comparison to shimano’s offerings. Also their lever ratio is the same as shimano, so if you are on Campag levers they won’t work quite as well.

http://road.cc/content/review/115645-trp-rg957-deep-drop-brakes

chakaping
    Free Member

I think I’m gonna have to get a set of those TRP after reading up on them, the black ones will look good with my 105 gruppo too.

Just not happy paying top dollar for shimano brakes that are two generations out of date.

Anyone with the TRP calipers: how do they compare with current ultegra please?

TiRed

Define out of date. They stop the same as my Dura Ace and newer Ultra. They also stay looking good a lot longer than the Tektro brakes they replaced!

And all that money for a rusty stainless steel bolt. My R650 have done three winters and still look like new.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

the r650 have bearings rather than bushings but given how tiny they are i can’t see it making much difference.

always fancied a set of these, but a little pricey…
    http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/brakes/calipers/grand-cru-long-reach-brakes.html

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Long drop brake recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.