Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Long drive tomorrow, what Radio 4 shows should I download?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got to drive from Yorkshire to Slough and, thankfully, back again tomorrow and as much as I like Radio 2 on that long a drive I prefer Radio 4. The issue is most of their weekday programs are quite dull.

I like comedy stuff, and enjoy some of the stories they have on- any recommendations?

Also, I know you can download TV shows on iplayer for I pads and that sort of thing but can’t seem to do it for radio shows- any options on this?

Cheers.

titusrider
    Free Member

todays media show had quite a powerful few mins about war journalism (as well it might)

Stoner
    Free Member

Friday night comedy
    Money box
    File on four
    More or less

I sync these every week for my train journey to London

titusrider
    Free Member

From our own correspondent and archive on 4 are always good too

(is now the time to admit I also enjoy womens hour….)

Cougar

Is ISAHAC downloadable anywhere?

wwaswas

You and Yours 😉

all the old Desert Island Disks are available.

Duffer
    Free Member

Friday Night Comedy – especially if it’s the Now Show, which is bloody brilliant.

Just A Minute – always good for a laugh.

The Unbelievable Truth – a personal favorite of mine. You’ve really got to listen closely, though!

wwaswas

I think all the Ross Noble Goes Global ones were available for download too.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have all the Ross Nobles. Getting hold of some ISIHAC too. Also found on t’iplayer they have Three Men in a Boat on.

Junkyard
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl/episodes

in our time short intellectual ish documentaries with Melvyn bragg- must be something that interest you in all that

The plays are there as well

Infinite monkey cage? irreverent look at science with Brian cox
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w

awh
    Free Member

Have a look at the BBC World Service downloads as well.

SaxonRider

Who needs to download on a Thursday? You’ve got Melvyn Bragg and In Our Time to look forward to.

EDIT: Of course, that’ll only cover 45 minutes. Go to the archive to get enough for the whole day.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ISIHAC, Now Show, Unbelievable Truth.

I like Woman’s Hour too. Moral Maze and the other John Burke one about turning points or something, Melvyn is a bit academic for me.

JAM is pure Giles Brandridth (sp) SHEEEEOOIIITE!

higthepig
    Free Member

+ 1 for Desert Island Discs, especially their archive, have loads downloaded for long journeys.

Play of the Week (now retitled Drama of the Week)has some good episodes.

Push the boat out from Radio 4, try the Bike Show podcast from Resonance FM and Velo Club Don Logan, both have interesting cycling stuff.

Storer76

Various editions of ISIHAC are available on iTunes, also go for the Now Show, maybe Just A Minute?

TooTall
    Free Member

What Junkyard said – Infinite Monkey Cage is the best thing for ages IMHO.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Desert Island Discs

History of the World in 100 Objects (If it’s still available)

dti

As well as the above – Fighting Talk on Radio 5 is always good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FOOC is radio perfection.

plumber
    Free Member

I download just about anything from R4 an listen to it on drive home or for work

Everything is great IMHO

spandex_bob

I use http://www.nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/ to convert lots of BBC stuff to MP3s, seems to have most Beeb content available.

Pieface

4 thought is good

rossm
    Free Member

Not radio 4 – but I like these podcasts:

This American Life
    Radiolab

SkillWill
    Free Member

Bleak Expectations.

Very funny.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SkillWill – Member
    Bleak Expectations.

Very funny.

^^This^^

Harrumble!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Various shipping forecasts.

Fisher, dogger, german bite. Ahh

Stoner
    Free Member

“bight”.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Oh!

Stoner
    Free Member

I prefer:

The Old Norse forms of the name was just Síri (nominative) and Síra (genitive). The first element ut (meaning “out” or “offshore”: compare the “Out Skerries” in Shetland) was added in the 16th Century. (Sira is also the name of the border river between Rogaland and Vest-Agder.) The inhabitants still call the island just Sira and an inhabitant is called a sirabu. The meaning of the name Sira is unknown (maybe “strong stream”).

Before 1875 the name was written “Udsire”, in the period 1875-1924 “Utsire”, from 1925 on “Utsira”.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The News Quiz

molgrips
    Free Member

I like to listen to it from Today until the afternoon play at 2 or 3pm whenever it comes up. That, the Archers and Desert Island friggin discs are the only thing I turn off.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s podded or not but “James and the Giant Tree” was a good listen last week, there’s a part two this week too

Ever since he was a boy, James Aldred has loved climbing trees. And over the years, James has dreamt of searching out some of the world’s biggest trees including the world’s tallest living tree, a Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) in Northern California called Hyperion, which measures 379.3 feet tall. (The tallest tree in Britain is a Douglas Fir in Argyll, Scotland which is about 209 feet tall). Hyperion at nearly 380 feet tall is about 3 times the height of Nelson’s Column!

Hyperion was discovered on August 25, 2006 by naturalist Chris Atkins and Michael Taylor. The tree was verified as standing 115.55 m (379.1 ft tall) by Stephen Sillett. It’s estimated to be increasing in height at about 2cm a year. The exact location of the tree is kept a secret to prevent human traffic disturbing and causing damage to the tree or its environment. In the first of two programmes, NATURE tells the story of how James and three friends were introduced to Michael Taylor who to their delight and beyond all expectations, offered to take them to see some of the world’s biggest and tallest trees, including an enormous Coastal Redwood called Emerald Giant. And not only did they see the tree, but they got to climb it, as one of the aims of their trip was to collect seed from these trees for a Conservation project at The University of Oxford, Harcourt Arboretum. Climbing these trees is no mean feat, it’s a relentless, exhausting climb. As Ben says, ‘ You gotta earn it”. And then, back on the forest floor, Michael has another surprise in store for them, when he leads the way through the forest to Hyperion, the world’s tallest tree. “It just reminds me of one of those enormous chimneys on Battersea Power Station … it just goes on and on, and on, up and up and up” says James.

BigJohn

Why stick to Radio4? Danny Baker, Adam & Joe, Mayo & Kermode are all excellent podcasts, as is Rhod Gilbert on some Welsh Channel.

verses

Another vote for “Bleak Expectations”, “Look Away Now” is another quality comedy one. If they’re still available…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Long drive tomorrow, what Radio 4 shows should I download?’ is closed to new replies.