Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Long distance walks advice.
  • chorlton
    Free Member

I’ll be attempting the 42 mile Rossendale Way In A Day again next month and after having to give up after 30 miles on my first go last year because of blisters. What advice does anyone have?
    Apart from not doing it. 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

prevention is better than cure where blisters are concerned. did you figure out what caused them?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

podiatrist to get all the old hard skin removed from your feet – this helps me avoid blisters.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don’t go out in new boots.

Don’t take boots off mid-walk.

Make sure you have your boots correctly tightened before you start.

Get some shorter walks in beforehand.

djglover
    Free Member

Sod boots get some inov8 flyroc

lunge

Make sure your boots are well walked in.
    I always wear silk liner socks underneath my main socks
    Blister tpae on heels and anywhere else that might rub
    Vaseline where needed as well
    Don’t take your boots off if you can avoid it

chorlton
    Free Member

prevention is better than cure where blisters are concerned. did you figure out what caused them?

Well apart from not walking enough leading up to the event, plus I suppose it was my stupid choice of wearing trainer socks in my walking shoes.
    I’ve probably answered my own question, but just wondered what other, more experienced walkers do.

KennySenior
    Free Member

What djglover said. I wear them all year round for hillwalking, whatever the weather. So much comfier and so much lighter. (Well until crampons are needed of course).

Although irrelevant if you already have boots I suppose.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

good quality socks are a big help, dont by those shitty ones off the market! get some bridgedales or similar. and use blister tape if you blister easily. compede is also great stuff!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just wear a thin pair of socks under normal ones. Or get those running ones with a double layer, it stops any friction on your feet.

Apart from that, all the above advice is sound.

redthunder
    Free Member

plimsolls

richmars

Do you actually need boots? Do you have any running shoes?
    In my view, most walking in the UK, in the summer, can be done in a good pair of running shoes.

highclimber
    Free Member

Don’t take your boots off if you can avoid it

I would say this is rubbish given that you should take your boots off to dry your feet. keeping boots on for extended periods can create more problems thru moisture build-up.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blisters is another one where everyone has their own pet theories.

Me – I do a fair amount of walking. Just done 9 days trekking in Italy. Not a blister or rub of any sort. Comfy light boots, feet attended to by podiatrist ( removing the think layers of skin stops the sheering between the layers that leads to deep blisters), never put any tape or cream or anything similar on my feet unless rubs occur ( it just creates more friction / sweating IMO / IME) thin cotton socks – nothing fancy and expensive needed.

If a rub starts get the boots off straight away and get some soft stretchy tape on to prevent the friction – meefix is good or the old fashioned eleastoplast. Let it go on too long and a blister develops then compeed is good.

for a walk of that length I might take a spare pair or two of socks to change into part way round.

nickjb
    Free Member

As above, two pairs of socks

I use thin coolomax liner socks and then some proper walking socks. TKmax normally have some in, or £15 all in from any of the outdoorsy shops.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I did the 40 mile Keswick to Barrow walk in May, my advice is this.

Go for lightweight shoes or boots, whichever is the most comfy. I wore trainers, however, by the end of the day I was wishing for something with a slightly thicker sole. Zinc Oxide tape is your new best friend http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/4sport-Zinc-Oxide-Tape-P4660/, if it starts to pinch or rub anywhere on your feet, tape it, I didn’t and paid for it. My feet hurt, but my hips and lower back hurt just as much. Core training helps, as does doing lots of walking in preperation. Salt will help you to stop cramping, so take lots of nuts, crisps etc. Drink water, lots of it, electrolyte fluid is better. if you’ve never used SIS, High5, etc before, now is the time. Don’t pack a bloody great rucksack, lightweight is the way to go, you’ll feel it by the end of the day. 70% of it is mental stength, you can make it, you just have to push yourself. Put a beer in the fridge for when you get back, or 2. You’ll have earnt it. Oh, and brag about it to your couch bound colleagues on Monday, most of them will be secrectly very jealous.

Good luck.

RustySpanner

Have you tried walking poles?
    They take a hell of a lot of pressure off your joints and legs, highly recommended.

donsimon
    Free Member

Good quality boots, well broken in. I never suffered heavily from blisters on the feet, I did, however, suffer blisters on the shoulders from a new, to me, rucksack.
    Be sure everything is broken in and comfortable.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’ve never found an approach that works consistently. I’ll try one approach, seems to work and then the third time out with same shoes and socks and I’ll get blisters.

Or I’ll manage to prevent blisters on my heels only to get them on my little toes.

Part of my problem is by the time my feet hurt there’s already blisters there. I do seem prone to them. I’ve had blisters on my hips from a backpack and blisters on my hands from whipping cream!

mrmo
    Free Member

i have done 30-35mile walks in the cotswolds a few years ago in defeets and a pair of trainers. I have boots but fund trainers better as they were lighter. I did a 20 mile walk in my teens in a pair of converse canvas shoes.

but whatever you use I think a huge part of the challenge is in your head.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Assos chamois cream on your socks. Feels weird at first, but works wonders!

chorlton
    Free Member

Assos chamois cream on your socks. Feels weird at first, but works wonders!

Well I’ve got some Udderly Smooth stuff so will try that along with my recently bought Bridgedale Merino socks. 🙂
    Thanks for all the tips.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Make sure the socks are comfy with your boots, some of mine are better than others despite all being decent brand ones..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Try out things and decide what you will do before you go. Some of the things advised on here would leave me covered in blisters in a few miles

brack
    Free Member

Some great advice!

Trail of destruction gives the best though in my opinion.

Having just done the IOW Coastal path in 2 days (bivvying) and Offas Dyke, with the Coast to coast and North Downs way still to do this year I would never underestimate the effect that poor hydration can have upon your feet.

Inadequate hydration leads to swollen feet and there ain’t much a but of zinc tape is going to do for that !

seosamh77
    Free Member

take a bike!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Long distance walks advice.’ is closed to new replies.