• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by aa.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Long board skate board
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Working away and board as usual in the evening and part of the w/e I am not working. Mind wonders to fun and exercise I could do while travelling (I hate running), plus it would double up as some transport. Thought about a long board, a (shorter one) should fit in a bag ok. Stupid idea? (Surfed a little 18 years ago, only minimal skating in my youth).

Give me your good and bad long board stories.

urflying

I bought a long board 2 years ago and although good fun quite large to transport around. This summer I got a 22″ penny board. These are brilliant. Take it to the park with my two girls. Really good fun and small enough to go in backpack.

Plus come in a million colours.

jam-bo

Helmet minimum + knee pads, elbow pads maybe.

Tarmac bites, especially at your age.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do it.

Longboards rock.

Old gits on longboards rock even more.

Enjoy whizzing and carving, one of the best feelings carving a nice arc.

Fitness ? Phah, have some fun first.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Mine looks great in the living room. Certainly better than when some silly middle aged balding berk is stood on it.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Either… both great fun. Longboard for last 15 years up to 4 months ago (Sector 9 just because it is simple easy obvious option). Sold it and last 4 months now on a Penny and loving it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Fitness ? Phah, have some fun first.

This is the thing I love doing exercise and am quite active but only when its fun! Show me a gym and I fall asleep.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I personally think do you what you like no matter your age

Be this dude

[video]http://youtu.be/ygpdf8Uq534[/video]

hot_fiat

Have had a 48″ longboard that a mate made for about 15 years It’s great fun. FAntastic for whizzing around the park with the dog when I’m in a rush. It’s also, by quite a long shot, the most dangerous and injurious vehicle I possess, and I ride a motorcycle!

Do it, but get some pads first!

TheBrick
    Free Member

For ease of suitcase transport I was considering as cruiser style one, low 30 odd inches, which probably doesn’t count as a long board but I am less likely to bomb hills more use it to explore where ever I am.

peajay

Loved taking my Landyachtz Dinghy on holiday, not too big and nice to cruise around on.

TheBrick
    Free Member

That looks lovely.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Longboarding is super fun, but:

At some point you are going to wreck yourself. Hard. Its inevitable. Usually I dont mind wrecking, but road rash is awful, broken bones, broken teeth, bruising so bad that you will think you’re internally bleeding. These all take a long time to recover from, eating into valuable leisure time. Oh, and did I mention cars? A small pebble in the road will **** up your life etc etc. The UK sucks to ride due to a patchwork of drains, cheap road surfacing, rain etc etc.

After a couple of these wrecks, you will seriously re-evaluate whats fun about longboarding. The longboard will become a (cool) ornament in your house. Its the cycle of longboarding life.

If you do decide to go for it, learn to ride on one of those “built in 2008 road networks for an industrial estate where none of the buildings got built” – No cars, and nice smooth asphalt.

simon_g

Watching. In my head it would be a nice way to keep up with the young kids on scooters/balance bikes when we go to the park (it’s a bit slow for a bike, and I’m not getting an adult scooter). We were down at Bexhill again with the nice smooth, flat, quiet promenade and thinking that would be lovely to cruise along.

I only ever had crappy skateboards as a kid, what do you need to spend these days to get a longboard that I won’t hate?

For fitting in a bag, saw this the other day: https://goboardup.com/

zilog6128

Done some work for a new skate shop, tempted to get them to sort me out with one of the nice longboards they have on display as part payment! Like the idea of one with big, soft wheels (never really got the hang of a “proper” one BITD) just not sure if I’d ever really use it! Where are people actually riding theirs?

Also:

At some point you are going to wreck yourself. Hard.

dont really like the sound of this!

TheBrick
    Free Member

The UK sucks to ride due to a patchwork of drains, cheap road surfacing, rain etc etc.

Good point. It’s mainly for working away though as if it was in the UK I would though a bike in the car van whatever. Decent gloves as a minimum I think.

jam-bo

+1

jam bo (ex longboarder)…

kayla1
    Free Member

I got a drop through from Aldi when they had them in about a year ago. It’s a good laugh but absolutely shit on anything less than smooth (so everything around here then… 🙄 ) I sometimes take it to track days when my OH is riding and have a bool about on it. Diagonal in Barcelona would be ace I reckon.

zilog6128

I sometimes take it to track days

ahh… hadn’t thought of that… may actually have found a use for Betteshanger (fowlmead) in Kent (lovely smooth closed road circuit)

hot_fiat

Have ridden diagonal on my hybrid, I’d be wanting a brakeboard truck – the cycle lanes are just too narrow and the main street insanely busy. Going west looks like hard work too. 7am on a sunday could be fun.

aa
    Free Member

@Simon G are you me?? I got mine (a z flex) as the children scooting is too fast for walking, too slow for cycling and I too am not gonna start riding an adult scooter.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Long board skate board’ is closed to new replies.