Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • London town: driving and parking at tube/overground
  • surfdad
    Free Member

Bringing the family into London town for a night next week. I’ve heard that you can park in a station car park for cheap and with cctv in the outskirts and get the tube or train in which seems like a sensible thing to do.
    Any tips? Will be coming from Southampton area and heading to Westminster.cheers

iamroughrider
    Free Member

ask1974
    Free Member

Depends what you call cheap but I’ve been using Fulham Broadway carpark for several years. 24h and straight onto the District line without going outside, not exactly cheap during the day but still much better than metered parking in the city, however if you arrive after 6pm and leave before 9am the maximum charge is a tenner and that’s very good.

kongman28
    Free Member

We used ‘parkatmyhouse’ dot com for a trip to London recently. It was very easy to use and we got a great secure parking space near Earls Court tube for way less than an NCP. It’s worth a google.

loum
    Free Member

Surbiton may do the trick
    Top of the a3, and v quick train into Waterloo
    Can’t remember what’s best at top of m3, sorry

surfdad
    Free Member

Thanks all. Found this http://www.watchmywallet.co.uk/travel-leisure/motoring/2012/march/revealed-the-cheapest-way-to-get-into-london-by-car/ and it looks like the car park at Morden might work. Concerned though that I’ll only be able to buy parking until the end of the charging period (6pm) and not through the following day as well …

catfood
    Free Member

Just drive in and park on the street in Westminster, it costs between £2.20 and £4.50 an hour on pay by phone parking depending on where you park and it`s free after six thirty and you dont have to bollocks about getting tubes to pick up your car, simple.

grantway
    Free Member

Would think the best area to park would be Richmond
    as its basically the end of the A3
    Also be a better Neighbourhood as you will have your family with you.
    Just jump on the District line and enjoy

catfood
    Free Member

Parking in Richmond will cost you as much as Westminster and the tube is a good forty minutes at the end of the evening, what a pain, parking in town is the easy option.

shermer75
    Free Member

Get the train from Southampton.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

have your driver wait in the car while you shop/eat/etc and call them when you need collecting…simples

catfood
    Free Member

The train is the most sensible suggestion so far.

samuri
    Free Member

just park on the pavement wherever you feel like, that’s what everyone else does.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Train is the sensible option, leave the car at home.

hora
    Free Member

In an ideal world I’d agree.

But the OP would probably find out that theres over running engineering works on the lines and a bus replacement service.

You can find side streets free after a certain time.

vinnyeh

Park at westfield White City. £6 per 24hr mon- Friday, £9 weekends. Easy to get to, on the A40. Tube links just outside the shopping centre.

shermer75
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    just park on the pavement wherever you feel like, that’s what everyone else does.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen this happen

monkeyboyjc

for work I drive to Hillingdon and tube it in – pretty cheep for London parking although the tube is more expensive. Never parked over night though.

njee20
    Free Member

Get the train from Southampton

Absolutely this, madness to bother trying to drive in, it’s hardly far by train.

gogg
    Free Member

If your car is fitted with Hazard Lights, then simply switch them on and park anywhere you like. It’s what they’re meant for isn’t it???

takisawa2

For the men’s Olympic road race we drove down, & parked at a Tube Station, right at the end of the M40. Was £1 a day on a Sat. Don’t know about overnight. There was lots of street parking around there, but looked an iffy area.

surfdad
    Free Member

So in the end we used parkatmyhouse.com to find a parking space a few minutes from clapham junction for £9 for 24 hours then a couple of quid on the train to Waterloo.
    Very straightforward and I’d definitely use it again.
    Thanks everyone!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘London town: driving and parking at tube/overground’ is closed to new replies.