Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • London to Paris bike route – 3 days
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Hi chaps, I’m doing a London to Paris 3 day ride starting next Fri, via Calais and Amiens. I have a couple of reasonable looking route options, but if anyone has any GPX files or route tips from their own experiences it would be useful, as otherwise it’s a bit of a shot in the dark!

Any pointers welcome. 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Via Nerwhaven, Dieppe and Forges les Eaux is the way we did it and the way the official route goes. If you Google those places and “cycle route” you should find maps.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers, but we’re locked in to those waypoints so it’s that or nothing now!

I have found a few online resources with routes for those stopovers, but it’s hard to know without actually doing them what the roads will actually be like, hence a little nervousness about blind faith!

wwaswas

you can plug the routes into google earth and follow them on street view?

dknwhy

There was a similar thread a while ago that I posted links – ta da:

Linky

theflatboy
    Free Member

WW, yep I’m probably going to do that, just to be sure.

dk, cheers that sounds like just the ticket. I will take a look. 🙂

edit – that other thread looks very familiar! It’s all coming back to me now, I was hoping Hustler might pop up and ping me over some GPXs…

thehustler
    Free Member

Hi, sorry had forgotten all about this, cant find the map book but have sent you the garmin files for our first 2 days recorded by a friend, this will give bexley to dover and calais to Arras

theflatboy
    Free Member

Thanks very much for finding that, much appreciated. 🙂

sing1etrack

I’m also doing this, as part of a large group, setting off a day ahead of you, also via Calais and Amiens. I’ll email you the GPX files the organisers sent us when I get to work tomorrow.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Great stuff, that would be fantastic thank you.

I have spent the evening comparing a few routes and think I have the first two days lined up, but your route would really help me get things decided.

theflatboy
    Free Member

sing1etrack, just a reminder in case there’s any chance of getting those GPX files. Cheers!

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m pretty happy with days 2 and 3 of the route, but if anyone has details or suggestions about the London to Dover leg, it would be appreciated. One of the links that hustler sent me looks very useful for that leg. My main hope is to stay off the A2 as much as possible. Any pointers welcome!

flipper29
    Free Member

I did this a couple of years ago and have gpx files from Calais via Amiens to Paris (directly and via the Thiepval monument which is well worth going to if you have the time).

My main advice would be to choose your route into Paris very carefully as Northern Paris is probably the dodgiest place I’ve ever been.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Thanks, anything you could send my way would be really appreciated, as I’m still finalising details. Email in profile.

Point taken about the ride into Paris, I’ve found a pretty good looking option that is a few miles longer than the alternatives, but cuts in from the North West on what look like better (and hopefully more scenic?!) roads, but it’s still hard to know until we’re actually there.

sing1etrack

Sorry, forgot all about you yesterday! Have just sent email so hopefully you’ll have them OK now.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers buddy, received with thanks.

theflatboy
    Free Member

By the way, for future reference we sifted through options for each of the three days and settled on some very nice routes. If anyone wants the details of these for such a ride one day, drop me an email.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘London to Paris bike route – 3 days’ is closed to new replies.