• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tekp2.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • London to Glasgow – weekly commute?
  • Caher

Bit of a long shot but…
    Has any one ever done this commute over a period of say 6 months? I think can only be done by plane realistically? Should add this would be weekly!

project
    Free Member

Lamington viaduct is still broken so no trains past carlisle till april 2016.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’ve got a few guys at Worthing for 6 months, they travel down (just west of Glasgow) on a Monday morning and back on Friday afternoon.

They seem to think it’s awrite, but I wouldn’t think they’d fancy it if they had to commute in their own time.

Caher

Thanks – might have to be flight only then.

maccruiskeen

Anytime other than now I’d be suggesting looking at the sleeper – my brother is based in Glasgow but hot desks in Kings Cross sometimes and using the sleeper prevents spending working days (or his own time) travelling and saves a bit of accommodation too, but just now trains are borked for that route.

CraigW
    Free Member

The sleeper is still going to Glasgow – on the line via Kilmarnock and Dumfries. It doesn’t actually take much longer, as the usual timetable is pretty slow anyway.
    It is not going to Edinburgh currently.

I knew a few people who commuted weekly from Inverness to London on the sleeper, they seemed happy enough with it.

geoffj

Iirc there is a sleeper bus too – http://www.megabusgold.com/The-Gold-Experience/Sleeper-Service/
    Depends where home is tbh, but flying is probably going to be the preferred choice.

dannybgoode

MTFU and cycle it you southern Nancy 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

I have at various times over the last 15 years commuted between roughly Leeds and West London. Flying is by far the most relaxing way to do it. Getting the tube and standard class train out of London at the end of the week isn’t great. Driving is horrendous. Flying and then picking your own car up is good. All that presumes the company are picking up the tab…

NZCol

I go up and down a bit from Glasgow. I’ve used sleeper on occasion and its alright really esp if you have a couple of sharpeners in the bar-I was in there with Texas one night ! I can sleep anywhere though so if you are a light sleeper then don’t bother. Flying is Ok, access from airport is usually not too bad.

m0rk
    Free Member

I worked in Glasgow for 15 months, so flew Southampton to Glasgow out on Sunday night, returning Thursday night or Friday afternoon.

I got really really good at sleeping on planes from the moment I sat down, chose the seat I wanted to get off quickly and exactly all I needed to pack.

It helped I’d positioned a car at each end, and had a flat in Glasgow.

All on expenses, so life was easier. Except for the ash cloud, or when Flymaybe cancelled or shortened to Birmingham.

Where are you going to be working?

martymac

megabus driver here, there are a number of passengers who do this every week, travel home to scotland for the weekend.
    they seem to manage ok.
    afaik, you can legally drink alcohol on a train, you definitely cant on a bus though.
    it would really depend on whether you can manage to actually get a sleep on the bus.
    me personally, id get a plane if poss.

maccruiskeen

megabus driver here

I knew I recognised you from somewhere

IainAhh
    Free Member

I used to, every other weekend.
    Sleeper down late sun. Straight off train to work.
    Virgin Train back after work Fri.
    I did work in central london so fairly quick to get to the station.

Also did a flight commute from gatwick as I was working in Guildford on a contract. Even with quick boarding it seems to take a while to get to airport in time.

I prefered the train other than not getting on until 5 mins before it left at the londom end. If you are paying it fair adds up and occationally you don’t get there.

martymac

Lol@macruiskeen

squirrelking
    Free Member

Flight is definitely not stress free, one points failure or line closure and you are pushing it if you want to make your flight. At least you know you will get on the next train.

Megabus is alright, done it a couple of times and tbh whilst you get a sleep its not always a good one, the wifi is pretty crap as well (if it actually works).

Sleeper train is by far the best but since the operator changed the ticket price has shot up, not a worry if its on expenses but if its out your own pocket then it looks less attractive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did Glasgow to Warrington, 1st class made the train bearable. In with the commoners was grim once you hit Lancaster on the 6am. The sleeper may be better but the time on the train will add up and eat into the weekends.

I flew a few times after the accident closed the line, depending on where you are in Glasgow the airport is a bit of a drag out, and depending on where you are going in London could be a drag.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Got a friend that does York to London every day..

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Get a private pilots license?

I heard of a guy once who flew himself from Edinburgh to London City each day. Most days he used his Lear jet, but on nice days in the summer he took the Spitfire.

Probably not a very helpful response in hindsight…

imnotverygood

Hmmm. I’m not sure how accurate that particular story is.

tekp2
    Free Member

Yes. I did that for 9 months. Mostly I flew from London city, arriving around 11 on Monday and leaving around 3 on friday. A few of my colleagues preferred the train, and had a very early start on a Monday.

Glasgow is a really fun city.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘London to Glasgow – weekly commute?’ is closed to new replies.