Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • London to Brighton – how hard?
  • Will_B
    Free Member

Trying to get into the road bike to boost my fitness. Currently commute about 11km (flat) each way but haven’t really ventured much further with the exception of a bit of interval stuff on a turbo trainer.

Was thinking of spinning down to Brighton from Fulham on Sat as normal off road buddies aren’t around. Will it kill my legs? Only really serious hill looks to be down by ditchling, how bad can it be??

5lab

its easy. ditchling beacon hill is a bit of a slog, but otherwise fine. I know a lot of people who don’t ride at all who’ve done it, I did there and back for a giggle, which wasn’t very hard either

MrTall
    Free Member

It’s not too bad, Ditchling Beacon is a bit of a slog but mostly because you’ve already done around 50 miles by then.

I did the BHF ride there twice when i lived in London and found it really hard the first year but miles easier the second year after i’d been commuting daily.

You should do it easily in under 4 hours at a steady pace, under 3 if you are a quick/fit rider (i’m not – just under 4 hours for me last time).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aP
    Free Member

It’s ok but if its raining it’ll be a bit miserable though…

wwaswas

Might be worth planning a semi-rural route rather than just slogging down the A23 etc, too?

s
    Free Member

Hardest part is avoiding all the other cyclist 😉

Zoolander
    Free Member

I’ve booked in for the BHF London to Brighton off road event in sept. Absolutely no idea on what I’ve got myself into tbh

wwaswas

Zoolander – it’s fairly gentle – mostly following the old railway line that’s the ‘Downslink’ – couple of hills when you get to the southern end but it’s easily doable on a cross bike.

Will_B
    Free Member

Is there an excepted route? From a quick look at bikely once past the M25 I’d planned to go down through Turners Hill / Ardingly / Haywards Heath on to Ditchling then down to Brighton.

Am I going to be dodging traffic all the way down or not too bad?

wwaswas

Turners Hill / Ardingly / Haywards Heath

that’s not too bad – not quiet rural roads but not dual carriageway either. I’ve not ridden further north than turners hill so not sure what you’d do prior to that.

5lab

the bhf route is the same every year.

If you wanted, you could avoid ditchling beacon by joining the A273 and going along the cycle path next to the a23. Its not ideal, and there’s still a bit of a hill, but if you’re suffering its an option. I think the BHF route (which is fairly established, but not very direct) is available online

Zoolander
    Free Member

Cheers wwaswas

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘London to Brighton – how hard?’ is closed to new replies.