• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mrl.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • London-ists. Car Parking advice in area of US Embassy required….
  • smogmonster

I have to go to the US Embassy on Feb 19th, so im staying at the Radisson Blu off Portman St the night before. I despise trains so i want to drive down and park overnight. The Congestion Zone seems to stop at the end of Oxford Street so id like to avoid that if possible. What are my options for parking nearby that avoid the CZ? I see there is a Car Park at Marble Arch. Does anyone know of any options, or does anyone live down there that has a space on their drive (do you have drives down there??)to let out for a night?
    All advice appreciated.

molgrips
    Free Member

TAKE THE TUBE

Park in z4 or something.

Driving into the centre of London is like walking into Mordor. One does not simply walk into Mordor.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I did this recently and found a multi storey car park a few minutes walk away.

Be sure not to take your car keys or mobile phone into the embassy, they won’t let you in with them.

deadslow

Park at my house
    Great service, used it a couple of times, tends to be cheaper than commercial services.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can park right outside the embassy without any problems but you need to leave the engine running and have the windows blacked out otherwise you’ll get a ticket.

smogmonster

McMoonter, any idea which car park it was?

uwe-r
    Free Member

I am in that neck of the woods often on business and it simply doesn’t work in the car. Train to Euston – tube to Green Park or anywhere nearby and enjoy the walk. Or car to a tube station anywhere and tube to green park.

geoffj

I despise trains so i want to drive down

That’s got to be some level of hate to avoid using public transport.

Dickyboy

car park on church Street off the A5 Edgware Road then tube to destination or walk down Edgware road if you fancy an amble.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    You can park right outside the embassy without any problems but you need to leave the engine running and have the windows blacked out otherwise you’ll get a ticket.

POSTED 33 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

This
    But make a loud ticking noise just so they know there’s someone looking after the car

luffy105
    Free Member

There is an NCP right behind the Radisson from memory, pretty sure I parked there last year…

Failing that, if coming from the north it is really easy to park at Watford Junction train station and you’re in the centre of London in 25 mins and the trains are every 20 mins. I really dislike trains too but this is the best compromise I have found as you come in off the m1 one jct after the m25 and you’re at the train station in less than 10 mins. £9 per day to park and then you can get a travelcard for the whole London train network

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s plenty of on street parking around but even if you do find a space it’s crazy expensive. There’s an underground car park under Hyde Park with in entrance on Park Lane. That’s probably the easiest/closest. No idea of price/availability.

It’s a 5 minute walk from Paddington, that would be my choice.

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

What’s the issue with the train? I wouldn’t go near central London in a car, an exercise in futility

theflatboy
    Free Member

I can’t see any good reason to want to pay to drive into and park in Mayfair / Marylebone. It’s an expensive way to make yourself suicidal with rage. The tube and your feet are all you need. 😕

smogmonster

luffy might have right idea, but the thought of leaving the car in Watford station overnight in an unsecured car park……..

molgrips
    Free Member

As often mentioned, if you are coming from the West you can drive down the M4 til it ends then you come face to face with a big multi-storey at Hammersmith. Park in there, walk to tube, job done.

You ought to end up despising trains a lot less after attempting your planned journey by car! You could always park up and then ride to the embassy.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

McMoonter, any idea which car park it was?

Sadly not, It was a random sat nav find. I had to deliver some paintings to my gallery by car, given the choice, I’d park a bit further away and use public transport to get there. As a country boy, city driving freaks me out.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The Marble Arch NCP is a mere £25 for 4 to 24 hours stay

br
    Free Member

There’s an NCP on Oxford Street you can reach without the CZ, but last time I was there I got to the maximum £32 by midday… Hyde Park sounds cheaper and outside the CZ.

As for driving. Come down the M1, turn left at the bottom and take the first exit (Brent Cross). All the way around the roundabout(s) and aim for London. When you get to Swiss Cottage aim straight on and go through Regents Park taking the Baker St exit. Then I’ve no idea of the non-CZ way, as our company cars were all registered.

luffy105
    Free Member

I have no qualms about leaving my car there. I have left mine multiple days there before and never had an issue. It’s full of high end BMW, jags, mercs etc and I have never seen one broken into. Just don’t leave your sat nav out.

I’m actually leaving it there tomorrow night as off down in the morning. I’ll let you know if anything happens.

I have tried all sorts of drive/train combinations over the last 5 years and if you’re coming from the north Watford junction is the best as its so close to the m1 and no m25 involved. If you’re going for multiple days then the qpark/purple parking on the bath road (heathrow) is superb as they drive you and pick you up from the tube station at heathrow and it is very secure. Very quick too

konabunny
    Free Member

Are you doing anything apart from your embassy appointment? If not, why not just stay at a nice hotel with a car park slightly further out of town and close to a convenient bus or tube station.

And if you hate trains, you’re on your way to the right country…

grantway
    Free Member

There is a car park on the edge of Hyde Park just across the road from Mayfair.
    BCP Parking

mrl

Driving is okay if you doing it at night. if not get the train!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘London-ists. Car Parking advice in area of US Embassy required….’ is closed to new replies.