• This topic has 45 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cb.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • London: Ghost Town
  • billyboy
    Free Member

Cycling through the west end was quieter last fri/sat/sun than I have known it for several months.

globalti
    Free Member

Up to a week before the ‘lympics the Premier Inn website was giving all rooms in London at £199 a night, presumably in the hope that some visitors would be stupid enough to book at that price. Courier companies were warning about extra charges for London delivery and I’m sure loads of other people were rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of lots of extra profits so if London is empty it serves them all right.

We went down by train from Manchester for the men’s road race and were very impressed at how smoothly everything went. Finished with an outstanding meal at Maroush on Edgware Road and went home contented.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

…and not just London. I’m told that Weymouth is ‘comin like a ghost town… as a result of the games. Do you remember when it was announced we’d first been lumbered with them how the local traders’ organisations were almost wetting themselves with excitement?

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBuoy went to (Greenwich) market to buy supplies and said most of the traders were grumbling like stropy kids cos all Limpic tourists are being kettled into and out of the arena, she says its difficult for them to actually see any of the town. T’was dead she said….

globalti
    Free Member

We couldn’t get into the ‘lympic village but someone told us that John Lewis in the Westfield mall had a viewing gallery. So we trotted up there only to find it rammed with people and a lot of space taken up with piles of tacky Olympic souvenirs, JL management were standing around looking anxious as the Public flooded through without stopping to buy.

cb

bregante – where would i find these bargains please?

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘London: Ghost Town’ is closed to new replies.