Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • London eatery recommendations
  • lunge

Meeting some old uni friends for the first time in 15 years. Despite 3 of them working in London it has been left for the token Brummy to organise. I’m delegating it out to STW.

The requirments:
    Lively – I’ve not seen them for a while, somewhere with some atmosphere/something to talk about might help conversation.
    Not expensive – It doesn’t need to be a dive but not The Ritz.
    Easy to find – One of the party is an American flying in from Turkey who has never visited London. A dive bar in a hidden alleyway may not be found.
    Not too formal – I’m thinking a pub that does good food or a relaxed bar would be better than a restaurant.
    Central ish – 1/2 the party go home via Waterloo, the other via Marylebone/Euston. My thought was somewhere in The West End or maybe near Embankment/London bridge but open to ideas on that.

Thank you, all help is gratefully received.

IHN

The two times we’ve stayed in That London for RideLondon we’ve eaten here:

Homepage

Restaurant, but great lively and relaxed atmosphere. Brilliant food.

Not the end of town you were looking for, but it’s two minutes from Limehouse DLR, and everywhere in London is just a tube ride way, right?

dknwhy

The Big Easy in Covent Garden would be my vote.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Big Easy is a good shout. Should suit your needs.

Doggetts Coat and Badge pub on Southbank does decent food and top ales in a well priced (for london) pub and has River views.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

The Ship and Shovell, just off Trafalgar square.

Olde worlde style pub, great beer, good food, quiet upstairs room if you want.

Oh and get this there are TWO pubs (linked by underground cellars), one on either side of the narrow street.

(and yes, i get the potential issues with meeting up with mates when there are two pubs but you can see into one from the other, that’s all part of the appeal)

chakaping
    Free Member

Browns Covent Garden?

lunge

Awesome, I’m thinking The Big Easy works perfectly. Thank all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mind if I come up with some additional late thoughts?
    Firstly, the obvious answer is Cask, in Pimlico. Epic beer as in truly epic, great food. A proper pub as well, with the hubbub of conversation ringing around. Love it.

Marquis of Westminster, also in Pimlico. Piss easy to find from Victoria tube, away from the main touristy areas (Covent Garden, etc) and just another good pub. Proper pub. Their Scotch Eggs are astonishing.

I got very, very drunk indeed doing a Ship and Shovell pub crawl once. Back and forth…. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘London eatery recommendations’ is closed to new replies.