Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • London Directions again please
  • lunge

Afternoon all,

Today’s London based challenge is that I need to get from Marylebone station to Blackheath on Friday at 6:30pm ish. I will have a bike but I will also have a 60 litre rucksack which makes riding with any pace or finesse challenging.

The the questions are:
    Is it a reasonable route to cycle, Google maps suggests 10 miles which is fine, an idea of straightforward routes would be useful though.
    If it’s not feasible to cycle, would a black cab take a bike? Or will any of the tubes trains take a bike?

Thanks all.

stoffel
    Free Member

That’s really not a great journey through central London in Friday evening rush hour. Here’s ne option:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?es_sm=91&q=marylebone&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=t1-xU-7nDIHbPK68gLgK&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

If it’s not feasible to cycle, would a black cab take a bike?

Marylebone to Blackheath. Friday evening rush hour. Are you rich?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Black Cab will take your bike (as will the IMO dreadful Addisson Lee who use People carriers). You can’t take a normal bike on the tube but in any case the tube doesn’t go to Blackheath, you need a normal train (and a lot of those won’t take normal bikes at peak times)

aP
    Free Member

Some tube lines will allow a full sized bike, however, at 6pm you’re not going to be allowed to do so or use a rail service.
    You’d be better off cycling down through town and crossing over the river either at London Bridge or Tower Bridge then cycling out through Canada Water towards Greenwich before turning off and up over the hill.
    Alternatively, wait for a couple of hours and then cycle down to London Bridge train station and getting a train to Blackheath.
    60litre rucsac? As long as you’re careful it’ll be fine – it will take about an hour though.

lunge

Looking again, and please do bear in mind my London based navigation skills are terrible, how bad a journey would it be if I cycled from Marylebone down the Edgware Road, onto Park Lane and them followed the A202 all the way? It looks easy enough to navigate but I have no idea on how pleasant the roads are.

stoffel
    Free Member

Would be relatively easy to navigate, but it won’t be a particular pleaseant trip, as the roads will be very busy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘London Directions again please’ is closed to new replies.