Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • London. Beer, Tonight
  • Stoner
    Free Member

From 5:30 ish, central location.

Anyone around?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sorry not tonight. Supposed to be home ‘on-time’ tonight as it’s the Mother-In-Law’s birthday.

Oh the joy…..

Stoner
    Free Member

take her to look at “caravans”…on the inside…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You said Tuesday, last week, surely?

Got to go bank in a mo, then playing footy later, so nae bev. Otherwise, I’d be up for it.

Stoner
    Free Member

maybe tomorrow night too.
    have to be up here today, tomorrow and weds this week. Recession? What f***ing recesssion.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

take her to look at “caravans”…on the inside…

Tempting………

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Who TF put ‘domestos’ and ‘meths’ as tags?? 😆

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I might swing by for a quick one – will have the commuter bike with me tomorrow though, so will have to be somewhere on my commute home!

Stoner
    Free Member

which way do you go pk?

aP
    Free Member

buggrit – just back from a meeting in Notting Hill Gate.

Might be at Marble Arch on Wednesday avo.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

out from bank, via parliament square and through chelsea harbour, putney, kingston to surbo.

might be able to stop in near there as long as i can watch the bike, as won’t be carrying locks.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh, what you need is somewhere with a beer garden. Not a great deal of those about, in the City.

See, I’d say the Cheshire Cheese, off Fleet St, as it’s as central as you can get, but not good for an unlocked bike.

Can you not just bring a lock in this once?

Stoner
    Free Member

Another night in London, another quest for ale.

PK – how about meeting above the pasty shop in the North West corner of Covent Garden (they do good Rock brewery beers there usually. And pasties 🙂

Ill have a lock with me and there’s rails to lock to, some of which are in sight of the terrace bar anyway.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

stoner – going to have to bail I’m afraid, got the option of a couple of laps of Richmong Park with a mate and want to test my 2100 lumen light combo properly.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So, in a city with thousands of pubs, Stoner picks one of the worst spots… 🙄

Sorry. Spose it’s ok, for watching tourist girls, but really really bad for bike security, and you get a lot of **** going in there. I could think of quite a few places that are a bit nicer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And, in further shocking news, I agree with RudeBoy! The P&J is a hole!

Late calls wiv da West Coast of da US of A tonight, I’m afraid.

Stoner
    Free Member

there’s me trying to accomodate hoi poloi and I get dissed!

I prefer Gordons (as you well know Captain) but the chances of getting commoners to a) find it and b) come in are remote 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    …, I agree with RudeBoy!

(falls over in shock)

Sorry, Stoner, you’ve gone to the trouble of choosing a location, and all I’ve done is be negative. Didn’t mean it like that, really.

I much prefer the proper nice old city pubs, like the old one by Holborn, what’s it called, the one along towards that Model Zone shop. Real character pub. There are some proper hidden gems in the West End, too, but I can never bloody remember where they are.

Couple nice ones near London Bridge, and along the South Bank. Bit touristy, mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member

I much prefer the proper nice old city pubs, like the old one by Holborn, what’s it called, the one along towards that Model Zone shop. Real character pub

Sam Smiths place, isn’t it? The name escapes me too, but it’s a gem of a place if it’s the one I’m thinking of (Proper old engraved glass and tiles everywhere)

pk-ripper
    Free Member

uuurrgh, sam smiths place are just plain awful. Wouldn’t get me in one of them regardless of location or company.

Stoner
    Free Member

urghghhh. Sam Smiths beer. only good as a back up pint.
    Nice pubs though, Ill credit. Like the Dead Pirate one over at wapping.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

PK, I have long suspected you are a Philistine. Now, I am convinced.

Flashy- it’s the Princess Louise, I think. Lovely old place.

Granted, there are Sam Smiths and Sam Smiths pubs. There is a tiny hint of the Wethersoons about them, due to cheap beer, no music, etc, but a hell of a lot nicer. My fave is the Captain Kidd in Wapping. I think several STWers will actually back me up in saying it’s a lovely pub. And the beer’s good.

So, come on then, where would you suggest?

(Personally, the Greenwich Union, but possibly a bit out of the way, for some)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

And Stoner too!

Sod having a drink with you miserable sods!

I’d really love to know what fantastically wonderful ale you boys actually drink! Stella?

Stoner
    Free Member

haha – posts colliding.

Yep, the Captain Kidd is a ncie pub, but Sam Smiths beers is awful.

Im with PK. Right I shall research a WC1 pub thats isnt sam smiths but has a congenial environment.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

But most of them sell pish mainstream stuff!

Out of interest, what do you drink? And why is SS so bad, in your onion? Most people I know, love the stuff!

I like the Wheat beer and Pure Brewed Lager. Not realy an ‘ale’ man. Don’t mind a Porter or something, now and then.

Stoner
    Free Member

If Im forced to Ill drink the wheat beer in SS because their Bitter is worse than Youngs dishwater. Im a bitter drinker. At home I Drink Malvern Brewery, Wye Valley, St Austells and usually whatevery guest beers are on if they arent bulk producers (like Greene King or Wadworths). Im lucky my local was Camra UK Pub of the year 2008 and has 12 real ales on every day.

In London Ill drink most bitters except SS or Youngs. Often that may mean a Fullers ( I like Discovery and Chiswick) but Ive drunk far worse. Finding micro bitters is hard. If Im somewhere that knows something about wine (Davys, Gordons, Balls(ish)) then Ill spend more on a decent wine instead. Cant remember the last time I bought a spirit in a pub.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

SS beer? Hmmm, I would rather chug bukkake leftovers than their vile flavoured stuff.

Plus, I tend to drink wine / whisky, both of which SS fails miserably on.

Then there’s the clientele. Most of them look like they actually did drink mead back in the day, with the only thing updated about them is their clothing. Most of which looks like they wore it on the picket lines of the miners strikes.

hateful, hateful places.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Stoner; fair enough. I’m not a bitter drinker (I’m a happy one!), so I can’t comment on that. And I like wheaty beers; SS wheat beer is lovely stuff.

PK: “Then there’s the clientele”

Oh dear. This is the man who didn’t want to com eon the Swinley ride, because there would be too many people or something. Don’t you like people?

Lighten up, mate. Personally, I couldn’t give a flying **** who else is in a pub; I’m in there to enjoy beer, not judge others.

So, anyway, you haven’t actually come up with an alternative…

Maybe a Wine Bar is more your thing? Know any good ones?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

blimey fred, you really have used the swinley thing completely out of context – if you want to clarify my opinion on that, feel free to speak to CG. I’m still right about the clientele tho.

I haven’t come up with an alternative is because I’m going to Richmong Park instead, and will have a beer by the river after.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I’m part of the ‘Clientele’!

And there are several SS pubs in London, with a broad range of clientele. For eg; the Cheshire Cheese is full of legal types. In the Capn Kidd, you get quite a few touristy types, wandering past, some cabbies, and quite often some of the bods from the River Police pop in. And of course, loads of ‘Yuppies’. The Cardinal sees lots of government office workers, whilst the Chandos attracts lots of tourists. So, a broad range, really. Bit blinkered to suggest there’s one particular ‘type’.

As for the Swinley thing, apparently you don’t like riding in big groups, fair enough.

So, somewhere poncy, next time? 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘London. Beer, Tonight’ is closed to new replies.