Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Loire Valley cycle route – getting to the start from calais
  • twosheds
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing the new Loire valley cycle route this summer with Mrs TS. I really don’t want to take the car over the channel and want to just go over with the bikes on the ferry as a foot passenger. What’s the score getting down to the Loire? What are the train options? What’s the best section to do, will probably have 7 days or so.
    Has anyone done the same?
    thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

Have ridden around Sancerre at the eastern end, and spent a lot of time between Angers and Chinon visiting vineyards and cycling around. Both beautiful areas. No idea how to get there from Calais though.

Sancerre AOC

Edukator
    Free Member

Why Calais?

Newhaven – Dieppe lands you at the start of the tarmaced railway trail to Forge les Eaux and avoids Paris. Bikes go on local TER trains for free if you get there and decide to train it. If not just keep heading south. It’s a couple of days’ ride to Blois from Dieppe.

Last Spring I landed in St Malo and found another railway trail (a bit dusty) that went about 120km before taking smaller roads and paths. Again two days to the river. Map.

Sandwich

Which end are you looking to start from inland or sea? It makes a small difference on the station in Paris and whether you can get there by TGV in one hit or need to change to a local train. Starting inland would be my choice as it’s all downhill! All your train info can be found here.
    Leave enough time to visit Chambord, Chenonceau and Amboise on your way. Contact me off-forum if you want some more detailed advice.

Edukator
    Free Member

Why not post all your details here, Sandwich, then everyone can benefit?

I can’t think of any direct trains from Calais to anywhere on the Loire route and there are so few bike places on TGVs you need to book months in advance (or turn up in Paris and hope because they keep half of them back and you can only buy the tickets in main stations). You need to speak enough French to explain their system doesn’t work and that there are places left if they can be bothered to check how many bikes are already booked onto the train.

The prevailing wind is westerly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Loire Valley cycle route – getting to the start from calais’ is closed to new replies.