Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Log burner stove now in..so do I still need a radiator?
  • rockhopper70

As per the title really. I have a 4.9 Kw multi fuel stove just being finished off in the lounge and the upheavel means the lounge is going to be redecorated anyway. At the moment, I have a fairly large radiator on a wall where the sofa is.
    The thought is to remove the large radiator and free up some wall space. But, just thinking of those days when you are out and its cold, or overnight, when the stove hasnt been on and coming in to a cold room. Is it worth keeping at least a small radiator in the room to provide some heat until the stove can be fired up?. We can put a shallow one under a window in a bay so not using up wall space but the output won’t, in theory, be enough to heat the room on its own.
    Just wondering what the vast numbers of STW stove owners are finding?

trail_rat
    Free Member

is the one behind your radiator a double convector rad ?

you may find it doesnt need to be as big if its not currently one of the above.

We did have a massive single rad in our place

we replaced it with a much much smaller under window double convector and Its in a much better location so the room heats up much better. the old one was behind the door so the door didnt even open propper.

Id always keep the radiator though – what about in the mornings when you get up for work , nice to be able to sit on the sofa and see the news without freezing your arse off.

Put a TRV on it though so it kicks to off when the fire has got the room to temp. Means the rest of the house will heat up as well as the lounge , although my eco fan is doing a sterling job of getting the room warm in an hour and the house warm in a couple of hours.

my heating only runs in the morning – might adjust that once it gets really cold though so the house is moderately warm for me getting in with numb toes

rockhopper70

Yes, great big double thing….
    your set up sounds pretty much like my arrangement.
    I’m thinking that a slim one under the bay window might be sensible for just those occasions.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

If you have the space, keep the rad and make sure it’s on a TRV. Then you can leave the heating on and the tad will shut off when the burner is kicking out enough heat.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Think ahead. When you sell the place are potential buyers going to be put off by the fact that the only way to heat the room is with the stove?
    If it were me I’d not be impressed.
    Also there will be times when you don’t want to, or can’t, light the stove.
    Leave the radiator and just turn it off.

rockhopper70

It’s staying.

johndoh
    Free Member

We’ve added a rad since fitting a stove. It’s cold in a morning otherwise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Log burner stove now in..so do I still need a radiator?’ is closed to new replies.