Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • lodging an objection to a planning proposal (any tips?)
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

without going into detail of the application itself, i want to object to a proposal in my local area.

i have all the necessary details of where to sent said objection and have made a list of my reasons (i’ve found out that on a couple of my points both highways and the environment agency have already expressed concerns), but wondered if anyone could give me any advice/tips as to how to go about writing the objection so that it may have more effect?

pjm84
    Free Member

You need to state local planning policy guidlines and were the proposed development differs / contravenes. Emotive objections are irrevelant.

Be wary of concerns. Both Highways and the EA will comment on applications where applicable. This may be addressed during the application process.

Try and speak to the planning officer beforehand and run through the points you have.

pjt201
    Free Member

yup, as pjm states get a copy of the local town plan (or equivalent) and look at it thoroughly to see if the planning application falls foul of any local policy. if it doesn’t there’s little you can do to stop it – apart from getting your local councillor to call it in to committee who can turn it down (normally only for it to be contested and the planning inspectorate finding in the applicants favour as councillors can only turn down for legal reasons not emotional ones)

wwaswas

as above – speak to the planning officer. I did for an application near me.

The planning officer basically gave me a list of all the objectiosn he thought I could raise (I don’t think he approved of the plans either) and told me not to worry about spending days preparing a document but just to list my objections clearly.

This was last year before the new rules came in (have they yet?) that gave preference to allowiung development though..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Go through the literature and find out what valid reasons are applicable, I was supprised how many grounds we couldn’t object on, and how many points we thought were trivial were actualy the basis for past refusals. NIMBY is all very well, but you have to justify it on more solid grounds like car parking, refuse disposal, increaced opening hours etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup sit down with a “planning officer”*

If you can, seek thoughts and opinions from others that may object too.. In essance don’t sing a lonely tune. If you need some sort of petition, then organise that too.

I’ve been involved with a planning app for 2500 houses in adjacent fields to MrsBouys family home, it’s been fraught of late with many different views and such, but a “Group” consisting of 4000 local residents are opposed to this development, so the song is not being sung alone.

* other names are available

Esme
    Free Member

I have been directly involved in many planning applications . . . objecting, supporting, discussing, deciding . . .

There are lots of issues which planners are not allowed to take into account, such as reduction in value of your property, disturbance during the construction process, etc. It’s worth trying to exclude this sort of stuff from your letter, as it undermines the other valid points you raise.

As others have said, try to relate your objections to planning policy. The planning officer should point you in the right direction for this.

Is it an application which only affects the immediate neighbours, or does it have a wider implications? Are other local residents in favour of this development? One of your local councillors MAY be able to help you, but avoid contacting someone who sits on the planning committee, as you may compromise their position.

Another important point is will the decision be made by the committee, or by the planning officer (“delegated decision”)?

Good luck . . . and remember there’s no logic in the planning process!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks, its actually for a large campsite with ‘owners accommodation’, set in a designated area of outstanding natural beauty. the developers are trying to say it will be a save the world type of centre and are trying to say that they consulted people… except i’m effectively one house away and only heard about it through a chance encounter with a local games keeper (who stopped me on mon night thinking bikes were not allowed on his bridleway). so much for talking it through with the locals!

anyway turns out the parish council have already given it the thumbs down, but thats a good call to speak with the planning officer. will do!

cheers

Esme
    Free Member

Forgot to add the most important thing . . . . FIND OUT TODAY if the application has already been decided (determined), and if not, when is the Determination Date?

Councils are expected to make decisions promptly, and if you’ve only found out by chance, then it may already be “done and dusted”.

If it’s been approved, that’s generally the end of the matter. However, if it’s been refused then the applicant has the right of appeal – and the opportunity to make further very similar applications.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘lodging an objection to a planning proposal (any tips?)’ is closed to new replies.