Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Locksmith fitting some new..erm…locks. Should it cost this much?
  • smogmonster

Got a quote today for window locks fitting to our sash windows (12 locks required), a 5 point mortice lock to the front door and also rear door. Ive been quoted £800 for this..£500 for the windows, £150 for each door, all fitted. I haven’t a clue of this is excessive (it does seem rather steep to me), or if this sounds about right. I’ll be getting some more quotes but if this is roughly what it costs then the kids wont be getting fed next month!8O Any locksmiths out there able to advise?

Murray

5 point or 5 lever?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the locks will cost about £150 at non trade prices and they wont be there all day to do this so I would say yes

You might not be able to get it any cheaper but i think i could do most of that in day never mind a pro

Can you not do it yourself

Replacing a lock is pretty straight forwards assuming you just get the same size/type

gobuchul
    Free Member

You can buy good quality 5 lever locks for less than £30.

Are you just swapping the mortice locks? It’s an easy enough job to do.

The problem for the locksmith, is he has to charge a lot to cover his overheads, he doesn’t get that much work.

I am assuming it’s a “proper” locksmith and not one of those rip off 24hr emergency call out franchise ones?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you don’t fancy doing it yourself get a joiner in to do it. Fitting locks is Meat and drink to them at probably half the rate you’ve been quoted.

smogmonster

Yes, its a proper locksmith, has a shop in our local town and all that. Im going to give the window locks a shot myself, see if its easy enough as they’re about a tenner a piece on Amazon. The doors , well I haven’t a clue, so a locksmith will definitiely be doing them, perhaps not this one…its a 5 lever mortice, on insurance company insistence.

boxelder

Get a joiner and half that cost would seem right.

footflaps

The problem for the locksmith, is he has to charge a lot to cover his overheads, he doesn’t get that much work

Our local locksmith seems really busy, has about 6 employees, 6 key cutting machines (at £10k each), always see their vans out and about…

Cougar

its a 5 lever mortice, on insurance company insistence.

Handle off, bar out and it’s two screws. Can’t imagine sash locks being anything other than simpler. £800? I’m in the wrong profession.

You don’t need a locksmith to fit locks, you need a locksmith to get past them. Get a joiner. Or a screwdriver.

CheesybeanZ

Do it Yourself or get a decent carpenter in .

Wally

Cougar is right, have a go yourself.
    If you can service a fork or change bearings, fitting a lock will be easypeasy. I would recommend you take lock out, put chain on, keep dog or wife with frying pan in hallway and nip down to shop. They will probably match the innards very closely and fitting will require minimal hacking about and filling/repainting.

flaps
    Free Member

So what exactly needs doing to the doors?
    When we moved in I bought some new locks that are meant to be far safer that the ones used in the brand new house and swapped the barrels myself, 2 minute job (apart from having to drill the patio door to find the screw on that one). Locks were about £35 each and I’ve now one key for them all.

therag
    Free Member

As above, carpenter or Upvc fitter will do it in a couple of hours. Labour only, £120 is a nice easy day for them.

project
    Free Member

Mortice sash lock 5 lever less than 30 quids each, toolstation or screwfix.

Sash window locks a few screws and easy to fit, throw away the screws that come in the kits and buy a box of the same size better quality steel.

where abouts do you live.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Labour only, £120 is a nice easy day for them.

That’s a day staying in bed…

jim25

You want a carpenter, not a locksmith and definitely not a joiner.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You want a carpenter, not a locksmith and definitely not a joiner.

Why on earth would you want a Chippy rather than a joiner?

Cougar

Not sure what the difference is TBH.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Fitting locks is well within even my capabilities…think it was probably the first DIY job I did when I bought a house. Even my dad did it and he doesn’t do diy.

RustyNissanPrairie

Don’t underestimate locks & insurance companies – we had an insurance company wrangle out of a £50k personal injury claim that nearly broke us due to the BS standard of a lock completely unrelated to the accident. Cost us £££££ to fight it but have the “have you ever been refused insurance?” thing over our heads forevermore.

jim25

Because a joiner makes windows, doors, furniture,stairs etc in a workshop.

A carpenter goes to site to fix and install the various things the joiner has made.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joiner

A joiner is an artisan who builds things by joining pieces of wood, particularly lighter and more ornamental work than that done by a carpenter, including furniture and the “fittings” of a house, ship, etc.[1] Joiners may work in a workshop, because the formation of various joints is made easier by the use of non-portable, powered machinery, or on job site. A joiner usually produces items such as interior and exterior doors, windows, stairs, tables, bookshelves, cabinets, furniture, etc. In shipbuilding a marine joiner may work with materials other than wood such as linoleum, fiberglass, hardware, and gaskets.[2]

Cougar

I did not know that, thank you.

footflaps

A carpenter goes to site to fix and install the various things the joiner has made.

Well sort of, but if you have bespoke furniture made it will be scribed and fitted on site by the guy who made it in his workshop….

tacopowell
    Free Member

£150 for a days rate plus materials,
    I’m a handyman/qualified carpenter.

If its simply replacing them, I’d charge £50 plus materials, That said if you’re just replacing them, do it yourself.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Window locks? What is the point? One generic key for many many handles.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Like the BS 5 lever mortice lock I assume it’s an “insurance company insistence”.

project
    Free Member

Window locks? What is the point? One generic key for many many handles.

according to a chap who was a claims assesor, reaso for window locks is window was either locked or open, forced entry or just climb in.

Same with Bs locks need a key to lock them and unlock them or drill them out, again forced entry or key entry, who has keys.

Tiger6791

Well sort of, but if you have bespoke furniture made it will be scribed and fitted on site by the guy who made it in his workshop….

Yes but that will be a Cabinet Maker though

Pigface
    Free Member

Look on youtube

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey OP that’s a lot of money … 😯

footflaps

according to a chap who was a claims assesor, reaso for window locks is window was either locked or open, forced entry or just climb in.

Can’t say I’ve ever locked any of our window locks. I see that as a fire escape hazard.

therag
    Free Member

A joiner usually manufacturs the windows, doors, stairs ect in a joinery shop, a carpenter fits them on site,
    But a lock only keeps out an honest man

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Locksmith fitting some new..erm…locks. Should it cost this much?’ is closed to new replies.