Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lock-on grips
  • ntreid
    Free Member

Good thing, or waste of time?

Or to put it another way, what's wrong with traditional grips?

In shouting abuse as a reply, please bear in mind that I am not Steve Peat, I am ordinary.

DezB
    Free Member

They don't improve your riding but they do make upgrading and fettling so much easier.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have found them to be a good thing. Never had them move and makes changing levers a piece of cake.

foxyrider
    Free Member

They don't improve your riding but they do make upgrading and fettling so much easier.

+1 – but the lack of spinning grips when wet improves my control in teh winter esp 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Normal grips tend to slide about alot, especially when its wet. I only use them on my bmx

Lock ons are much easier to fit/remove and are much more secure.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

1) Piece of piss to put on or take off.

2) If you have an off ,might just be a case or replacing the plug, not the whole grip.

3) You can colour co-ordinate the collars with your bike.

4) They don't move round.

cp

very much a good thing for me – no moving grips when riding (no matter how much hairspray!), MUCH easier fettling…

mine are bargain Charge ones – wear fairly quick, but super comfy and right for my hands/head

Mister-P
    Free Member

3) You can colour co-ordinate the collars with your bike.

Ah hadn't thought of that. I have the Koryak bronze coloured lock rings to go with my Koryak bar, stem and seat post.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

5)They now do heated ones

foxyrider
    Free Member

5)They now do heated ones

Blimey they do !!!

But $129 !!!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Heated grips? OM and indeed, F-ing G.

ntreid
    Free Member

I can sort of see the fettling benefit – although tons of brake levers have split clamps (and will Shimano get round to it with shifters eventually?).

BUT if you don't change your shifters/bars/levers every year, then there's no real need for them?

I'd always assumed that the spinny grips was a fettler-error. If they slip, it's because you didn't put them on properly and your masculinity is in question. Of course this can probably be fixed by a new set of carbon bars.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Old squad thoughts there ntreid? 😉 – have you ever tried them? No they are not a requirement but I had traditional grips for many years – once I had tried lock-ons I never went back 🙂 If you need to take the shifters off or your brake clamps are in 2 parts i.e need to remove them to service you shocks then they are handy 🙂

it's because you didn't put them on properly and your masculinity is in question.

Can't be arsed with hairspray etc etc myself 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Can't be arsed with hairspray etc etc myself

Try a squirt of GT85 under grips when taking on and off.

Mine never budge, unless I want them to.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nah I am really happy with lock-ons myself and are generally wider grips 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lock-on grips’ is closed to new replies.