Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Loch Ness Trails
  • GSter
    Free Member

I will be staying in Drumnadrochit on the shores of Loch Ness soon and ask if there are local trails near by, within riding distance from the village?

What is 'local', 'not so local' and within a short car drive?

Thanks

devs
    Free Member

Loch ness is 22 miles long but from DnD there is Abriachan and also Balnain in peddling distance. Have a look at Balnain but the last time I went most of it was beyond me. I haven't been recently and I am a better rider so it might be worth a pop but IIRC a lot of it was trials based and 6 foot in the air skinny see saws.

epicyclo

It is the Highlands and you have the right to roam anywhere within reason. Get an OS map for a few ideas. Also the Great Glen Way passes by.

If you want something with more scenery, head down to Ft Aug, you can always try the Corrieyairack to Laggan. (Can be isolated and I've been snowed in near the top in summer many years ago.)

spudgun1

Yer nae tae far from Golspie laddie, mebe an hours drive from Drum, would be well worth a visit. Otherwise head to Contin just outside Strathpeffer (20miles? away) for some xc, Learnie on the black isle (40miles?) for a short but technical trail. There are also loadsa secret trails about, including mine (10miles away) but im no telling where it is.
    Abriachan is a basic route made out of the wrong type of gravel/marbles, only gets interesting when you head into the red natural trails where you will find some nice singletrack mixed with peat and the slipperiest north shore in scotland, its been coated with eels. There is a route which takes you over the top of the hill which gets interestiing on the descent, lots of steep steps. You can also link this up with the west highland way which will take you to drum without to much tarmac pedalling.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Loch Ness Trails’ is closed to new replies.