• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Local council healthcare funding lottery
  • woody2000

Patient A – mid stage dementia, can function up to a point, but can’t care for himself. Toilet, feeding, medication, dressing etc all require assistance, but is sufficiently aware to be able to converse and take part in activities. Currently living at home (and wants to stay at home), self funds a carer to the tune of approx £2.5K a month with no assistance from local council (they will not provide assistance). He cannot keep funding his own care indefinitely.

Patient B – paraplegic, requires assistance for everything so has a carer, both live in and also visits from additional care workers. Completely funded by local council.

These 2 patients live within 200 yds of each other and it’s the same council. Both patients are of similar financial circumstances. Both require nursing care to live at home.

Can anyone tell me why there’s a difference? We sure as hell can’t figure it out and it’s splitting a family apart trying to keep Patient A in his own home and make sure he’s cared for.

br
    Free Member

Patient A could stop funding own care and then call the council to get them assessed, but at some point presumably they’ll run out of money and be assessed anyway?

Also I’m guessing that the paraplegic has been this was a while, so all already setup?

Once it was identified that my Dad was in need it’s all been sorted out quite quickly, although a hospital stay (urine infection) did pave the way for most of it as he needed a ‘package of care’ to be able to leave.

woody2000

He’s been assessed already b r, they said no. His needs have been clearly identified, they just won’t help. It’s an all or nothing “thing”, you either get assistance or you don’t. He’s just had a hip replacement & even that wasn’t sufficient – despite the fact that dementia patients are at high risk after that kind of op.

The paraplegic chap had an accident some time ago, so yes, he has had care in place for a long time.

This is not about dementia care as such, it’s about nursing care. They both need nursing in the same way.

br
    Free Member

We’re in rural Scotland, so it might be easier for us to access this as everyone is ‘on first name terms’ etc.

What does their Doctor say, ie do they actually (medically) need the assistance. If so then Google the laws etc and follow whatever the appeal process is.

Also, when they had the hip operation was a care package discussed, we made sure it was for my Dad.

woody2000

Thanks b r

He’s been failed all though his care pathway really unfortunately. He’s a vulnerable adult, and without his family intervening I don’t know where he’d be. I think a large part of the problem has been the family’s willingness to help him, but it’s getting increasingly difficult as his needs change. His 2.5k a month doesn’t even buy him full time care unfortunately, a large part of it is eaten up by him needing overnight assistance and so there is still a need for others to help him.

The additional funding would help him to pay for extra nursing care and reduce the burden on family. We shall be appealing!

DrP

When it comes to care, the key difference is to identify if it’s MEDICAL care, or SOCIAL care.
    TBH, the ‘toilet, feeding, medication, dressing etc all require assistance’ sounds very much like social care.
    You could think of this as the sort of thing a family or friend could do with minimal training – kind of ‘looking after a person’ type stuff.

This is (IIRC) means tested, and if you have above (about) £22k in assets, then you have to self fund.

Medical care is different, and should be provided without means testing.
    The two types of care seem similar, and even I get muddled by it at times.

Essentially, social services would/should assess and decide on teh care needed, then the funding process will be reviewed.

Hope that helps a bit, but as I pointed out – it is confusing!

DrP

woody2000

It’s very confusing, and no-one fully explains anything. Or you get a different social worker who doesn’t have all the facts from the last visit. Or…..

When does social care become medical care (or vice versa) DrP? He has a medical problem for which he needs help, much the same way as the chap in the wheelchair does – obviously there’s some special equipment required for him as he can’t walk – but he still “only” needs his arse wiping, food cooking, help with dressing. I’m simplifying things I’m sure, but it does seem hard to understand what the [i]real[/i][/u] difference is.

MoreCashThanDash

Dread to think how this will pan out for my parents when and if the time comes, terrible situation.

Just another thought – you say the paraplegic had an accident, so is his care definitely LA funded, or did he get compensation that covers it?

DrP

When does social care become medical care (or vice versa) DrP?

Yeah, erm, hum, yeah, er..the weather’s getting better isn’t it…(avoids eye contact and actually answering the question..)

At the extreme ends of the spectrum the difference is clear and easy to see.
    It’s the ‘middle range’ – old people with illnesses etc – that it becomes challenging.

Not sure.

DrP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Local council healthcare funding lottery’ is closed to new replies.