Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Local bike shops and discounts
  • smell_it
    Free Member

I just can’t get with the notion that somehow I have to court a bike shop to get a good price, I don’t want to have to be buying them cake or pretending we are all such great mates. I have real friends so that base is covered, i just want decent service and a good price. If I’m laying down serious cash, I’ll want to deal, but I don’t want to be dicking around to get 2 quid off some headset or wasting my life staring at stuff in a shop just to groom some lbs when I could be riding. I don’t mind paying a few quid more on smaller items if I just get good effecient service. But given the range of views on here, the lbs has a tough task, and they will never please everyone.

aracer
    Free Member

I get a discount without asking in several “local” bike shops, but then I’ve put plenty of money through the till of each of them, and am known by first name terms. I’m not sure whether getting a discount in multiple shops is missing the point of a “loyalty” discount, but they give it to me so I don’t complain. This is on parts rather than complete bikes, so the margin is presumably a bit better. Once or twice on high ticket stuff I’ve got a bit more than the standard 10% – over 20% on a high end full-sus frame which presumably had a very good margin.

My most local shop has a clever till with customer accounts – you give them your name (or not as the case may be depending on who’s serving), discount is applied automatically.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the tesco analogy is correct in very similar ways to be honest, you say you dont haggle or get a discount at supermarkets…BUTTTTT have you all forgotton most stuff in tescos etc is heavily discounted? one cheaper than the other chain, and then one cheaper than that chain etc etc etc….beer especially, 2 for £14 for 2 crates??? how much discount is that off the rrp??!?!?!?!? so it is comparable to some extent! you dont feel the need to haggle as its already discounted at tescos! you look on the receipt at the end of the shop, and its usually around a tenner off or more from £100 shop….that to me makes 10% discount! like it or not discounts and bargains etc drive punters to buy!

im personally in the if its your local shop, get to know them and use them abit before trying the abrasive give us a discount card! it took me a while, but chatting and having a few jobs done there has now got me a discount on most things i buy there!

popartpoem
    Free Member

It’s all about a fair mix and balance … I negotiate the big purchase stuff, however, my LBS know that I keep going back for parts & servicing (I’m not skilled enough to do the forks, shocks, pivots etc.) without even questioning price.
    I’m happy with the o’all ratio.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Local bike shops and discounts’ is closed to new replies.