Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Local big hill near Glasgow
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t bring my bike up here so I’m planning to get a train out somewhere and run up a hill this evening. I was planning to go to Kilpatrick and run (or walk) up something called The Slacks just to the North. Maybe do a bit of a loop round. Lots of paths visible on satellite pictures, nothing on the map!

Good idea or not? Any better suggestions?

Merak

My choice would be Campsies. Start at wheelcraft and follow the path to the top.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

How far do you want to go?

Doughnut Hill in Dumbarton (West
    Dumyat – Bridge of Allan (North)
    Arthurs Seat – Edinburgh (East)

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Just a nice 10km or so to appreciate the countryside a bit. Doesn’t have to be big specifically. Donb’t want to be on the train for an hour, needs to be as close as possible. By train, I have no car.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Train to Old Kilpatrick, and then up the er, Old Kilpatricks. Pretty easy navigation, a multitude of tracks once yer up the steep tarmac approach.

Or Train to Tarbet, couple of mile round to Arrochar and up the cobbler.

Or Train to Lochwinnoch, then up Misty Law.

amatuer

Train to Dunbarton. Loads of walks and trails around the hills north of town.

seosamh77
    Free Member

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw campsies are fine in the dry, you could head up, dumgoyne or up to earls seat too(gairloch hill is as far as you need to go height wise).

campsies can be mushy after rain though.

better to drive though, you can get a bus right out to wheel craft and up cortmalaw, talking 45 minutes from city centre though.

kilpartricks probably the easiest/closest without a car.

you’re looking at 35 minutes or so train to bridge of allen for dumyat, and about 1 10 hour out to arrochar, but you can get to proper mountains then, ie the arrochar alps.. got a mile or 2 to get on the cobbler path though round the bay.

One thing edinburgh has over glasgow is the big hill in the middle of the toon!

you could make up upy downness out in back mugdock. the back of the hill to south of strathblane.

edit: guess you could also just go and run the commonwealth track too up cathkin braes. just the number 20 from glasgow city centre and headin through castlemilk/fernhill. (take a chib 😆 )

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Molgrips

Take the train to Old Kilpatrick. You can then go under the underpass beneath the A82 and run up the singletrack road onto the hill. Before the track takes a dog leg right and steepens, there is a gate on your right that you can go over then follow a zig zag path up to the summit. Just keep going up! Lots of lovely little tracks to follow and they are super dry at the moment.

Alternatively, you will see a little singletrack path on your right heading up just after you clear the trees. You can run up that too and join up with the zig zag path.

Hope you enjoy it! That is the easiest route to take and closest to the station.

Cheers

Sanny

molgrips
    Free Member

Also limited by the fact I’m really crap at running, so whilst it would be awesome to roam the hills it’s not that practical 🙂

Might take some of the further out options when there’s even more light and I’m better prepared. I’d love a bivi too but I’d probably need a bag which would end up costing the same as bringing a bike.

Sanny, that’s more or less what I’d seen on the satellite pics I think. Then from the summit (or the trig point) I can head West to the big track that comes all the way round and back down again. About 10km ish.

iainc

sanny – YGM re Cairngorms 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just keep going up! Lots of lovely little tracks to follow and they are super dry at the moment

Skies looking a bit gray, best be quick.

Another alternative is to take the bus up to Eaglesham, then run on the road out to whitelee then run round the forest. It’s a climb pretty much all the way from Eaglesham to the entrance to the forest visitor centre.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If my life wasn’t so hectic right now I’d suggest bringing a bike out and going for a ride. If you don’t mind a 40lb Trailstar… (slight exaggeration but probably only just)

molgrips
    Free Member

I am determined to do at least one ride whilst up here, even if I have to hire a bike from somewhere. And I don’t mean the city bikes, although I have used them this week 🙂

irc

Train to Milngavie. Up West Highland Way (well signposted) to top of Craigallion Loch. Hard right (5o yds before hitting tarman road) up track to Mugdock Country Park. Through park, past reservoir and back to Milngavie. Great views, 95% off road. Not hilly though.

iainc

I am determined to do at least one ride whilst up here, even if I have to hire a bike from somewhere. And I don’t mean the city bikes, although I have used them this week

give Keith at Mugdock Country Cycles a shout and he’ll sort you with a bike – our GMBC rides are Tue and Wed nights in same area.

molgrips
    Free Member

Up West Highland Way (well signposted) to top of Craigallion Loch. Hard right (5o yds before hitting tarman road) up track to Mugdock Country Park. Through park, past reservoir and back to Milngavie.

That looks good.

molgrips
    Free Member

Heading out to Kilpatrick. My geographical knowledge of Scotland is terrible. No idea where any of these places are 🙂

And the only time I recognise a name it’s cos of listening to the footie results as a kid when my Dad played the pools.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

How long are you here for and how tall are you? I’m aiming for a bit of local wilderness this sunday, have a spare large bike and happy to go at any pace

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Local big hill near Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.