Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Lobster CX
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

nice. cant find it on the merlin site though. Is it a proto?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Custom I think

paul78
    Free Member
    ourmaninthenorth

cant find it on the merlin site though

Given the look of it, I’d assume it’s a Sadoff.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m surprised at you, Chunky. Disappointed even.

AlexSimon

Beautiful! Love the colour.

sefton
    Free Member

awesome!

didn’t know rocklobsters had a flared head tube???

Rickos
    Free Member

Be careful – there’s 2 Rock Lobster set-ups. Custom stuff from Paul Sadoff a la Indy Fab, etc. or the Taiwanese made stuff sold by Merlin Cycles. 2 very different propositions.

Sadoff did a bit of a Jones type thing many years ago where he designed and sanctioned Taiwanese built frames that sold for several hundred quid. That seemed to die a death after a year or two, but Merlin took it up off their own back (or something like that – I’m making HUGE assumptions on that!), hence the 2 different Rock Lobsters.

That CX bike is clearly a Paul Sadoff made frame.

sefton
    Free Member

whats the deal with “aero” deep dish rims for cx racing?

paul78
    Free Member

Alot of opposing opinions on deep rims for cross but they seem to track better through deep mud and they don’t collect alot of mud while racing.

sefton
    Free Member

thought it might have something to do with mud 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sefton – I’ve been told they “cut through mud better.” I didn’t understand.

ourmaninthenorth

There’s also a view that they cut through sand traps better on the continental and US courses (we don’t tend to have them – well, one NW course does).

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Sefton – I’ve been told they “cut through mud better.” I didn’t understand.

The theory is that is most mud situations the mud doesn’t “flow” over the top of the rim generating extra resistance. In sand they track better by being harder to knock off line as the deep rim would have to “push” more sand to move sideways.

Anyway, who cares about the theory. As everyone knows, its all about what Sven does.

Nice bike BTW

sefton
    Free Member

kind of makes sense

ocrider

http://rocklobstershop.blogspot.com/2011/10/disc-only-steel-cross-frame.html

That’d be an 18 Bikes headtube there (assuming that it’s the same frame)

rOcKeTdOg

Love the swoopy seat stays

clubber
    Free Member

It’s pretty simple isn’t it? V-section rims have less surface around the nipple holes for the mud to sit flat on – eg because the surface is more hoizontal it tends to slide off. It certainly fits with what I’ve seen with mtb rims in nasty conditions.

oldgit
    Free Member

Weighs a ton, and looks horrible if you look at it long enough.

Think the owner uses my logic. Get an expensive good looking but heavy frame, then go deep dish coz you’re worried about performance.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

deep dish

???

those rims are “deep rims”, dishing has nothing to do with it: see wikipedia

oldgit
    Free Member

Never post at lunch time….what a tit 😳

Making myself laugh at that, and to think I edited disc wheels to write that instead.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Looks brilliant, love it

AlexSimon

oldgit – posting at lunchtime, I’m surprised you didn’t call it Deep Pan!

I’m not a fan of the look of the wheels. One of the likeable things about cross bikes is that they retain those classic timeless bike lines that just work. The wheels fight against that a bit.

Still liking the frame though!

noteeth
    Free Member

I really like Paul Sadoff’s frames. Must… start… saving.

MrAgreeable

A lot of opposing opinions on deep rims for cross but they seem to track better through deep mud and they don’t collect a lot of mud while racing.

I was told it’s because they’re extremely strong (I’ve seen folded rims even in the little local cross races I dabble with), stiff, and a lot of cross racers also prefer tubular tyres. I’d imagine that similar wheels are also available cheaply second hand from people with upgradeitis.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

If you jolly over to Belgium most pro’s use box section wheels. Nys has not ridden deeps on his colnago all season

Deeps for cross seems to be a US thing.

Sty bar been the exception. He is now on zipps but can not help but think he has to for sponsorship reasons. In an interview given last season he said he preferred normal wheels. More consistent braking!

AlexSimon

More consistent braking!

I guess with discs that argument goes out the window.

I can’t imagine we’ll see many discs on the pro’s bikes until someone (sram/shimano are probably the only ones who could) launches an ultralightweight hydraulic cross/road specific disk set.

fatboyjon

Thats happening, there are a few spy shots online of the prototype Hydraulic STI lever. Looks like a Campag esque shape with an even more crazy leaning tower of Piza extension on the top.

AlexSimon

Can you point me to these spyshots please?

guimet
    Free Member

What fork is that, and is it horrifically expensive?

paul78
    Free Member

Looks like the 3T fork .. if so it is a little pricey

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Lobster CX’ is closed to new replies.