Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Loads of rain reported in the South East
  • nickc

You have my sympathies, it’s awful. Hope that you’re all safe and no-ones flooded!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Worse than the flooding and property damage is the fact that the trails have been lethal for the past few weeks – it’s like midwinter out there right now.

Green chalk is not your friend.

zippykona

I love mudguards.

acidtest
    Free Member

Riding from the north downs to Shear and under the a25 is literally a suicide mission. The off-camber chalk is so unpredictable except the fact you know you’re going to end up on your arse at some point.

nedrapier

And there’s a load more just on its way though Southampton now. Just started raining at mine now. will be getting heavy quite soon!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s so wet I’ve put the fat bike in the shed and riding the rigid SS.

And even that struggles, I had to re-lube the chain with putoline twice this month, even in the depths of winter it usually makes it through December-January!

freeagent
    Free Member

Dunton slip road off the A127 this morning at approx. 9am.

deadkenny
    Free Member

That’s why the Greensands ridge is better (the Peaslake/Holmbury/Leith side of Surrey Hills). Muddy, but it’s a soft landing and still some grip rather than sheet ice like on wet chalk. North Downs, Ranmore etc in the wet… nope (like Aston Hill).

And yeah, can we have winter back! I preferred it to this so called summer.

scotroutes

There’s a water shortage in South Uist
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36605377

steve_b77
    Free Member

The off-camber chalk is so unpredictable except the fact you know you’re going to end up on your arse at some point.

So not then.

Well it’s cracking the flags up norf

zippykona

On my ride to work.This rises from a spring less than half a mile away.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I got caught out in the first installment of of this cloudburst last night.

Think it’s possibly the wettest I’ve ever been on a bike. Absolutely sodden.

Bike is nice and clean though.

Kryton57

I heard the thunder last night and didn’t even realise until I woke up this morning what the impact was – peoples house on normal suburban streets like mine with a foot of water on the ground floor!

Round 2 coming I think, its getting darker as I type (North London).

corroded
    Free Member

I just pray that my locally baked sourdough supplies can make it through.

nedrapier

that lot’s just passed. I’ve had to get busy with a syphon to drain a blocked gulley in front of our garage.

acidtest
    Free Member

Currently hooning it down in Guildford, apparently light rain according to my phone.

perchypanther
    Free Member

EU Quotas innit?
    The plain in Spain has exceeeded it’s allowance and we need to subsidise it.
    We should have a vote or something.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I just pray that my locally baked sourdough supplies can make it through.

We’re all praying for you.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve done a 30 odd mile road ride on the North Downs around Biggin Hill today which was fine – nothing more than drizzle really.

There was shitloads of debris on the lanes after last night’s downpours mind.

nedrapier

not raining now, but rain alarm says more of the same on its way. Raining for longer, not all of it as hard as just now, but some of it will be.

woffle
    Free Member

Our kids + dog awake a lot of the night due to the (amazing) thunderstorm and accompanying torrential rain. The run to the station this morning was a sodden, proper paddle in places due to flooded roads and the trains were inevitably running late. Doubtless the heavens will open again just in time for my walk home.

But not too bad in the scheme of things. At least I’m not being roped in every day to keep the garden watered…

GavinB

There’s a water shortage in South Uist

@scotroutes heading there very soon 😀

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Been sat outside a lot today baking in the sunshine.

Mid Wales

scotroutes

@scotroutes
    heading there very soon [/quote]Just back.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JoJwsY]P1030203[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

jimdubleyou

Mrs Dubleyou is away camping with loads of DofE students.

Think we might have some wet kit to deal with when she gets back…

Trains were truly screwed this morning too: flooding where it always floods in Fulwell, lightning strikes taking out signals all over the place & a tree down across the main line near Ascot.

Rode to the station as had to go via a couple of polling stations and was already soaked. Gave up and am WFH…

footflaps

Yep, hit Cambridge about 5pm, although the main chunk is still South of use, slowly moving North..

jambalaya
    Free Member

We where in a car around midnight and it was biblical. Trains disrupted today too 🙁

@scotroutes – nice 8)

@deadkenny as you posted, Tuesday was the evening to be out

tonyg2003

Certainly it was interesting at Waterloo station this afternoon. Delayed and cancelled on every board. Lots of frustrated people the a sweat box home. All of which reminded me why I prefer to cycle!

GavinB

Loving your work Colin – heading over there end of next week. Hope we’ve not jinxed it!

allthepies
    Free Member

I was there @ 16:15, carnage. Manged to get on a 16:55 train which left on time and I had 4 seats to myself, couldn’t believe it.

senorj

I had to cycle commute this morning . My hands and feet were wrinkled when I got to work.
    Lovely and warm and the bike got a good clean 🙂
    May have to dig out the mudx’s for the slop bike! 🙁

corroded
    Free Member

Waterloo was mayhem at 5. Took me 3hrs to get home. You’d think we could cope with a bit of rain. Taking tomorrow off – but reckon I’ll stick to a road ride rather than chance the South Downs.

tonyg2003

Corroded – With the amount of crap washed into the roads take a spare inner tube or two.

Waterloo at 17:10 for me. Not pleasant. I reckon I was lucky to catch a train.

dovebiker

Grim driving down to Portsmouth this morning – foot-deep for a hundred metres through Selbourne and people still driving like cock$, creating a big wash flooding oncoming traffic. Felt sorry for the guy on a motorbike on the A3 – pulled onto the hardshoulder in a cloud of steam and knee-deep in water.

fenred
    Free Member

@freeagent, went through that myself this morning…Work at FMC?

Lummox

And the bonkers thing is that the fire service is not currently funded to attend flooding incidents.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Loads of rain reported in the South East’ is closed to new replies.