Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Loading Photos to iPad!
  • jerseychaz

On any other device it would be very easy to load a wodge of photos from and SD Card. However, Apple seem to make it virtually impossible. What I have are 1.2GB of images taken on an HTC Phone on an SD Card that I want on my wifes iPad – we have the Apple Camera Adaptor. However, the iPad returns a data not recognised message when we connect everything. Short of uploading the whole lot to iCloud and then downloading to the iPad, any ideas as to where I’m going wrong (3rd generation iPad by the way)

Ta

zippykona

We have a gubbins that slots in the charge point and is the easiest thing to use.

Tinners

When you say “camera adapter” I presume you don’t mean the SD card reader? I use the Apple SD card reader and it seems to do it fine. It’s not as easy as slotting card straight into the tablet and the inconvenience of carrying the adapter, but it does work. The only downside is that it doesn’t work with iPhones, only iPads. I’m far from expert but also check you have enough spare memory on the iPad. Not sure if there are incompatible cards but seems to work with the high speed SD card I use with my SLR (SanDisk).
    Ironically, I can’t paste a link to the SD card reader on the Apple site because I’m typing this on an……..iPad!
    PS there are mixed reviews about the lightening to SD card reader on the Apple site, so if you’re having problems, you might find the answer in some of the comments there. Cost £25 (which I agree seems v steep for what it is).

JulianA
    Free Member

Ironically, I can’t paste a link to the SD card reader on the Apple site because I’m typing this on an……..iPad!

Why?

Apple card reader

Copied and pasted on an iPad…

Tinners

Aha! Well done JulianA. I thought someone would know. I copied the URL by tapping on the box with the arrow pointing out and selecting “copy”. Then when I go to the text box on STW and hold my finger on the screen, I only get “Select/Select all” options, not paste. Go on, how d’ya do it? (I’m a complete tech numpty so it’s prob v easy!)

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I haven’t used an iPad for years, but isn’t it possible to put the photos on a laptop or desktop, fire up iTunes and Sync the iPad with the photos?

JulianA
    Free Member

@Tinners – Exactly how you describe but when I tap and hold I also get a ‘Paste’ option. Are you sure you tapped ‘Copy’ not one of the other options?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why do the photos have to be ON THE IPAD?
    Why not chuck them on Flickr and then you can view them from anywheres he concept of keeping the pics on one device is very dated and very limiting.

CountZero

Just copied and pasted in an iPad, same as I’ve been doing since I bought it over two years ago.

Aha! Well done JulianA. I thought someone would know. I copied the URL by tapping on the box with the arrow pointing out and selecting “copy”. Then when I go to the text box on STW and hold my finger on the screen, I only get “Select/Select all” options, not paste. Go on, how d’ya do it? (I’m a complete tech numpty so it’s prob v easy!)

That doesn’t make sense. If you want to copy a URL, you drag the page you’re looking at so that the header box with the URL shows, tap the text so it highlights, tap again, and you should get the black boxes that give you the option to copy, paste or delete, like this:
    [/url] Untitled by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Then all you need to do is tap the Copy box, then paste into the STW box.

DenDennis
    Free Member

^ what, even somewhere with no internet?

CountZero

It’s possible that there’s a format issue with the photos from the HTC phone, which the iPad is unable to deal with.
    I’ve been using the original 32-pin Apple Card Readers, and I’ve not had any issues with the 6000+ photos I’ve copied from my camera SDXC cards, but then they’re full-sized cards, not MicroSDXC, and I have had problems in the past using SD card adaptors with Micros, and the camera being unable to write to them, or copy data from them.
    I won’t use any system that requires card adaptors, they seem to be somewhat fragile, connection-wise.

Tinners

Thanks JulianA and CountZero. You’re right. I just tried it and had a paste option. I think JulianA was right – I must have tapped copy and it either didn’t register the tap or tapped the wrong option. Thanks chaps.

JulianA
    Free Member

You’re welcome Tinners.

@CountZero – SuicideGirls? Interesting bookmark…

CountZero

You’re very welcome, glad to help.
    I like Suicide Girls, although I tend to generally use their Fb and Twitter feeds, cos they’re free. Pretty girls wearing not much except a lot of nicely executed ink; works for me… 😉

JulianA
    Free Member

Can do without the ink but de gustibus non est disputandum.

Might make an exception for Monique Alexander, mind you.

With you on the ‘pretty girls not wearing much’ aspect though.

JulianA
    Free Member

@CountZero – which OS you on? Your browser is different and you speak of dragging the page so that the address bar appears. Is Safari different in iOS 8 (assuming that’s what you’re using)?

CountZero

Yes, I’m using iOS 8, and there are differences in the way it works. As you scroll down the page, (pushing up with your finger), all the header info disappears, dragging the page back down reveals all the header info, along with all of the open pages in Safari. Tapping on the couple box in the top right corner shrinks the current page, revealing all of the current open pages, along with pages open on any other iOS device, which you can access from the one you’re currently using.
    And I’ve just found this multi card reader on Zite:
    http://shop.brando.com/i-FlashDrive-II_p12453c1842d146.html

JulianA
    Free Member

Cheers CountZero. Haven’t updated iPad 3s / iPad mini yet as I thought they might be too slow. Sounds as though I should check iOS 8 out for compatibility with our devices.

jerseychaz

Thanks to all. It looks like theres an issue with the way the HTC images are formatted. Its either iCloud or Flickr by the looks of it. I want hem on the iPad so Mrs Jerseychaz can access them without reference to Tech Support everytime!!!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

what, even somewhere with no internet?

How often is the iPad taken anywhere where there is no internet?
    Occasionally? Sometimes?
    Considering that, how many times do you need to sit looking at photographs somewhere where there is no internet?
    Rarely? Never?

CountZero

Cheers CountZero. Haven’t updated iPad 3s / iPad mini yet as I thought they might be too slow. Sounds as though I should check iOS 8 out for compatibility with our devices.

My Pad is an early 2012 model, 3rd Gen., and it has to be said, it’s starting to struggle a bit with the latest OS. It’s the nature of electronics to eventually slow down as processors and RAM fall behind the OS as it gets ever more complex.
    It still works, but there are some issues like c’n’p on sites like this. I’ve found ways to work around them, but I might have to consider looking at a replacement some time next year.
    I do rather fancy a 128Gb iPad Air… 😉
    Actually, if I leave it long enough, there might be an even whizzier one late in the year…

JulianA
    Free Member

@CountZero

Cheers – having read your reply and a couple of things on the net I might well carry on ignoring the little red ‘1’ on my settings icons!

Also fancy the 128gb Air. Just not got around to justifying £629 or whatever it is when I have a perfectly good iPad 3. Although come to think of it, my mother was talking about getting a tablet… Not in a ‘here’s your Christmas present I’ve got a new one’ sort of way though. Just an ‘I’ve got a new iPad why don’t you see if you like this one before you get a brand new one’ sort of way. Just wanted to clear that up before anyone has a dig!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Loading Photos to iPad!’ is closed to new replies.