Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Llandegla V's Cannock – Red – compare please
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

Hi

Just wrote a big post about my life – sorry.

Could some one please liken the Degla red / black to Cannock red please

Just tackled the red at Cannock for the first time – did OK, but don’t want to go to Degla to early if it is going to knock my newly found confidence

Cheers

Scamper
    Free Member

Have not been over to degla for a year or so since they opened the new sections, but previously thought Cannock red was like degla black sections in difficulty.

_tom_
    Free Member

Llandegla is alright, bit overrated. I don’t reckon it’s worth a longer drive than going to Cannock if that’s closer.

ljs1977
    Free Member

The main reason I am asking as it is 3 hours away from my house and 40 mins from my mum’s who I am visiting at the weekend.

curlie467
    Free Member

If you ride cannock red then you can easily ride degla red.

ljs1977
    Free Member

How black are the delgla blacks

Rorschach
    Free Member

grey (charcoal)

takisawa2

Degla is better surfaced & smoother. I prefer Degla.
    I live 15mins from Cannock though.

nosedive
    Free Member

do you mean the monkey or the dog? If you are riding the monkey trail then you can ride degla no problem. The black bits at degla are less technically severe than a lot of black sections (including some at cannock) but they are often fast and things can get messy if you get out of shape over the jumps.

give it a go though, it’s all a giggle

curvature
    Free Member

As nosedive says Llandegla is fast and flowing where Cannock can be a little more technical.

If you have a crash at llandegla chances are it will hurt!

I would go and enjoy yourself but be careful.

tazzymtb

llandegla is ace for playing on, the climbs are bit longer, but just spin and grin, the rest is a fast swoopy jumpy fun fest. There will no doubt be others along in a bit to tell you it’s rubbish not gnarr enough etc.. but it’s a great place to just have a laugh at. With regards to difficulty as said above it’s an easy place to ride, but you can carry too much speed into things if you’re still new to biking, just ride a speed you’re comfortable with until you know where everything is and then go nuts nest time 😀

rOcKeTdOg

you’re just as likely to get your bike knicked in the car park at either venue

RoterStern
    Free Member

As some have already said I also think that most of the black stuff at Llandegla is easier than some of the red at Cannock. But Llandegla is much faster but if you take your time all the jumps etc are roll-able. Llandegla does have more climbing than Cannock if fitness is an issue.

Rorschach
    Free Member

it’s rubbish not gnarr enough etc..
    There you go.

mrphil
    Free Member

Llandegla recently refurbished the 1st black section (150ft jump section) after the severe rain last month it is back to a nice rough surface.

Ride the black at llandegla and you will enjoy it,as compared to the Marin it is a more technical ride.

Saying this though take a trip to Penmachno and enjoy it.

tazzymtb

cheers Rorschach, I serve them, you bat ’em back! 😆

nwill1
    Free Member

I live closer to cannock than degla, I’d pick degla every time for 1 reason….flow, cannock just has a lack of flow (i won’t mention braking bumps, they upset some apparently). They’re is nothing ‘difficult’ at degla in the way of technical or jumpy terrain as everything came be rolled, there are few challenging (for me at least) climbs on the black.

Do it you won’t regret it!

Rorschach
    Free Member

only the underarm ones 😐

ian_mclean26
    Free Member

Degla has more punishing climbs and is very fast because of the packed stone surface. It’s well looked after and is is purposed built. Try Gisburn very long and technical in places but watch out for no chicken wire on the raised sections lethal in the wet 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

I think you’ll be fine on Llandegla if you take it easy. My mates had hardly ridden any off road stuff and they got through all the blacks no problems. I think they actually enjoyed it a lot more than I did!

continuity
    Free Member

You’d best be able to clear every single table, double and stepup at degla whilst throwing cuttys and whips before you even begin to mention that it’s “easy”.

It’s rollable, but if you want to roll degla you may as well go for a road ride.

tazzymtb

You’d best be able to clear every single table, double and stepup at degla whilst throwing cuttys and whips before you even begin to mention that it’s “easy”.

it’s easy 😛

MrsToast
    Free Member

Llandegla red is easier than Follow the Dog, and a lot easier than the Monkey. I’m told that the black is generally easier than the Monkey too, although the big boardwalk can be a bit intimidating. The blue is good fun to blast around too, although it’s very easy. There’s a nice skills area too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cannock is rough, Llandegla is smooth.

Cannock is flat, Llandegla has a small hill.

Cannock has badly designed take-off’s to nothing, Llandegla has jumps.

Cannock would be fun going flat out on a skinny XC bike, Llandegla probbaly more fun on something more comfortable jumping.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

A 40 minutes drive to either might be accepted, 3 hours certainly isnt worth considering.

FWIW – I thought the black stuff at Llandegla was rideable by anyone, if you rolled it, whereas some of the black at Cannock was fairly tough (that set of rocky steps with the sharp left hander at the top is tricky for a trail centre).

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

The ammount of spent gel wrappers is the main difference.

v8ninety

A 40 minutes drive to either might be accepted, 3 hours certainly isnt worth considering.

It all depends on how much you value variety, really…

the black at Cannock was fairly tough

Its gnar to the max radcore!!!
    OK, it’s a bit tricky. no run in/run out drops leave little room for error, but any offs are for the same reason, slow in nature. Much more oportunity for big offs at ‘Degla; I’m still aching about 8 weeks later…

shem
    Free Member

For an improver, usual red route rider id say degla black would be a great next stage. Nothing Id class as black on there, my 11 year old Son will happily ride all of it at a decent pace. The surfacing there is all awesome. A lot of guys that I meet up with there for ‘old mates’ rides ride Cannock weekly, and they say it comes no where near to being as good as ‘degla.

Is very much an over grown BMX track, but is also guaranteed to put a big smile on your face, without making you have to do to many killer climbs.

Go ride it 😀 and then have an epic cheese burger and chips!

wrecker
    Free Member

Cannock? Technical? Gnar? 😆

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I took a bunch of newbies to llandegla and cannock the next day.

No problem with llandegla.

They actually found Cannock harder because the ups are more technically difficult and they upy downy nature tired out the guys more than llandeglas one big up.

readikus

Rode both on the same weekend earlier this year. Cannock was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun than the Llandegla red route.

v8ninety

S’all opinion innit. But I tell you one thing; Degla’s cafe knocks Cannock’s into a cocked hat!

v8ninety

Cannock? Technical? Gnar?

Obviously I was having a laugh, but I stand by my ‘blacks are a bit tricky in places’ assessment of the new bits on the Monkey…

disco_stu
    Free Member

I grew up just down the road from Llandegla and have been biking there for years ( since before there was planks across the moors ) but I now live in Brum for ages so I end up at Cannock more.
    They are both good places to ride, Llandegla is fast with lots of jumps with Cannock being a bit more techy and harder work.
    Cannock really shines in its off piste riding, you can ride there for years and still find new stuff, just keep exploring!

wrecker
    Free Member

If degla is less demanding than Cannock, I’ll give it a miss I think.

RoterStern
    Free Member

If degla is less demanding than Cannock, I’ll give it a miss I think.

That’s not what people are saying. Degla is easier to ride slowly as all the jumps are built to be rollable. Add any amount of speed though and Degla soon becomes demanding. The consequences of an off are much higher too if you do put the pedal to the metal as the speeds involved are much higher than at Cannock. It’s difficult to get up to a really fast speed at Cannock because most of the turns are tight and do lack a certain amount of flow as already mentioned.

st

hmm, the Cannock lacks flow chestnut. Sure there will always be bits that don’t always work but it’s important not to get tight and twisty mixed up with a lack of flow.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not more or less demanding it’s just different.

A beginner could ride the Llandegla black at a slow pace and wonder what all the fuss was about then break themselves on the rocky corners at Cannock mentioned above. Equally someone who can clear all the rocky steps at Cannock might find repeated jumps at Llandegla hard work and nail themselves to a tree at 30mph+.

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Rode Degla a few weeks back and Cannock last year, Degla is much better although a bit smoother but much more on the grin factor – jumps and flow if you add all the Black bits to the Red. Didnt like Cannock – braking bumps bigger than a big thing on almost every corner due to people skidding I can only presume. Oh and the trail is armoured to death with polished smooth stones.. was sliding all over the place in the wet.

Preferred Degla, but much more of a drive!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmm, the Cannock lacks flow chestnut. Sure there will always be bits that don’t always work but it’s important not to get tight and twisty mixed up with a lack of flow.

Naaaaa, GT has flow, even Swinley has Flow, Cannock just lacks it and always seems hard work (apart from the old section 13/chainbreaker which was ace).

Surface which sapps speed + jumps to nothing + too many flat loose corners = no flow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla V's Cannock – Red – compare please’ is closed to new replies.