Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Llandegla, tell me about it..
  • honourablegeorge

Never quite understood the fondness for Penmachno that people have, I rode it years ago, can’t remember anything of note, apart from one rocky bit.

Garry_Lager

What’s the score with bringing the bairns to Landegla? Is there a skills loop or a blue bit out the way? I’ve just moved down south and it’s reasonably close so will be heading over at some point.

I took our kid to Glentress a couple of times on the balance bike and he loved it (he’s 3.5). But GT is often really quiet. Sounds like Landegla is heaving at the weekends, which wouldn’t be great for hitting the trails at 1 mph with the wee fella.

konagirl
    Free Member

To the OP’s response, you could always do Llandegla with the neice and do another set of trails; either Penmachno / Marin Trail (as suggested) or chose a natural trail from one of these: ride the clwyds.

And to Garry Lager, there are green and blue routes and skills loop, although the skills loop is more a bmx track and gets busy. The blue is one big up (the same as the red/black) and then a lovely flowly down, which is great fun and usually empty, but your kids’ enjoyment of it will depend on whether they are fit enough to get up the hill without being knackered. Had a friend who chose to bail out at the bridleway because his son was too tired, which is such a shame as he was nearly at the ‘top’. The green route is just fire roads, as far as I know.

Raindog
    Free Member

The green route takes in the first third (appx) of the climb then does a loop round the reservoir. Much shorter for young legs.

milkyman
    Free Member

I have been a few times and always enjoyed, true not very hard but some things dont have to be hard work to have a good time,

its easy access via the road network, about 4 quid i think to park your car, and a great cafe to boot, not a lot really to not like if your just out for a bit of fun,

I would say go and make your own mind up, not the end of the world if its not for you

might even go this afternoon and avoid the masses

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I agree with honourablegeorge – I’ve never quite seen the attraction with Penmachno. Its nice but theres quite a bit which just seems a bit nothing’ey.

Thats not to say its rubbish though! Any type of place where you can ride a bike is mint.

Raindog
    Free Member

Any type of place where you can ride a bike is mint

I couldn’t agree more 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

Any type of place where you can ride a bike is mint.

Good point.

Sometimes I think we over-analyze with all this ‘which trail is best’ stuff.

Kinda misses the point of riding for me.

Blower
    Free Member

Think of blackpool pleasure beach. Thats what llandegla is.

alpin
    Free Member

only been there the once. in fact it is the only trail centre i’ve ridden in the UK.

i thought it was good fun.

everything i saw was rideable (red and black) by anyone with a bit of bike sense.

had a mate who rode with me who doesn’t ride often and even he had fun.

it’s not the most difficult place to ride, but as said before if you go “balls out” and hack the place to buggery it’s very good fun….

wallop

Ok, what is the black like? I don’t mind steep and technical but I would like a chicken run for the boardwalk if possible (it petrifies me).

Got a potential work day out up there in a few weeks.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its black that is really a red at ‘normal’ speeds. At warp speed, then it becomes a black! Loads of jumps and stuff but its all rollable (apart from the drops at the end of the skills line).

wallop

Perfect. I’ll surprise all the boys by agreeing to do it. Thanks.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just go on a wet weekday in term time, you’ll practically have the place to yourself and then its pretty fun.

nealy
    Free Member

We went there today and started a very wet and muddy ride at 9ish leaving a fairly empty car park behind us, it was much busier when we ended up back there. Even in driving rain everyone we saw was having a laugh and was very friendly whether they were 15 or 50. The trail is bucket loads of fun and just keeps getting better the faster you go, also I saw a few sections of new trail and twisty bearmed northshore that is being linked to the existing trails although isn’t open yet.

Special mention should go out to the truly awesome burgers and the staff who keep the cafe looking nice even though every chair looked like the occupant had had an accident on it after they left (see muddy)

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

When folk say it isn’t technical enough, it means they aren’t doing it fast enough! Cracking little trail centre, head and shoulders above Penmachno. Add that to the cafe at the end and you have just about the best Trail Centre in the country!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Head and shoulders above Penmachno eh, priceless 😆

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Bloodynora – your point is?

tops5
    Free Member

I’m a confirmed Llandegla fan but your way off there Chunky! 🙂

vegasdave
    Free Member

His point is,you’re wrong.
    Llandegla is fine,loads of people enjoy it.Not my cup of tea,but so what?

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

At the end of the day it’s all about personal peferance. I thought Penmachno was absolutely sh*te, doesn’t mean other folk do. I love Llandegla, doesn’t mean other folk do. I ride a 6″ FS, Bloodynora may ride a rigid hardtail so I suppose we all differ.

samuri
    Free Member

Llandegla is a great place to have a laugh on a bike.

+1

It’s not hard or big but you can have fun there. Unless lowey is there, then I feel really down and miserable and don’t talk to anybody.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Add that to the cafe at the end and you have just about the best Trail Centre in the country!

I would say Kirroughtree may have a thing or two to say about that, as may many others but it is a great laugh and gets you back into that amazing feeling of being 10 again and messing around on a Grifter with not a care in the world 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

Gay.
    I geddit.
    Choco boy.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

“I would say Kirroughtree may have a thing or two to say about that”

Isn’t Kirroughtree in Scotland????

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oh blimey.

Are you just limiting it to Wales then??

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well, thanks very much for all the replies but the fact is…we didn’t make it after all! Silly niecey forgot she had ‘rugrat naming ceremony’ to go to today. We had a ride on the North York Moors in some p!ssy wet drizzle instead!

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

“Are you just limiting it to Wales then??”

Not particularly, other than the comment that Llandegla is the best Trail Centre in the country??

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla, tell me about it..’ is closed to new replies.