Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Llandegla signposting on the trails?!?!?!?!?!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not a rant nor a moan (probably just me being slightly retarded!)

but is it me, or is the signposting for the routes absolutely SHOCKING at llandegla

I don’t ride it often so I don’t know it at all, infact last time I rode it was 2 years ago in the slush and snow

now I went alone this time, spontaneous, early on yesterday…..come after the first climb up, to the nice flowy section out of the woods into the open, and I couldnt for the life of me see the route and which way to follow, me and a mate did exactly the same last time (should have checked but as I said spontaneous trip), so I ended up looping around it twice at the start (which is a fun section anyways), eventually dropped into the path that takes you back to the woods

anyways, next is the black section (1st black), and after that fun swoopy section you come to a fireroad climb….. as you start to climb just a RED sign to follow up a steep fireroad assumed this took to next black…NO SIGN at all for the black to the left veer off (which I missed on two laps as I didn’t see a sign fullstop)…further on that red section another steep climb at crossroads and one sign again which didn’t really tell you which way to go other than it being red

so missed out a couple of black sections as i did a couple of laps on it, on a full section twice just down to signposting?!

I’m not usually a retard and will ride absolutely anywhere out in the open, but it totally totally baffled me, its weird, ive been before, and still couldn’t fathom it out….

I know most will say you should use your eyes or similar, but seriously I cant be the only one that’s had this trouble 😆

madcow87
    Free Member

Me and mate visited for the first time on Bank Holiday Monday at the start of May, and I have to say I agree with the statement. We we’re ok with the blue, and the initial branch off from there to the red, but once at the bottom of the first red section theres a tee junction where you go straight on or turn left. No signposts there. We just waited 5 minutes for someone else to arrive and followed them haha

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

haha madcow thanks a million for that even just 1 response agreeing with me is enough

I kept thinking all the way at least ive ridden it before (albeit years ago), and imagine if id not ridden it at all before

its totally bemusing to me, obviously if you go with someone who rides it all the time then they’ll know and you’ll know next time

but for fresh users, I think its pretty appalling, how much time and cost does a bleeding decent signpost cost?

so by sounds of it I missed probably one of the best black sections twice, just because of a sign, luckily I actually enjoyed it all anyways, but its still annoying all the same

and that red section bit you mean, I agree totally I ended up waiting there asking if I was even on the correct section as it had 4 way option and a sign that didn’t really point anywhere

also this was the section after id missed the black turn off too, so even more confused after missing the black

gallowayboy

There yesterday with my son, and we found our way round red and black OK, though it needed a bit of thought in places. Only problem was at the bit where the red crosses offas dyke path, at the end of the long haul back up from the black descent. The sign at a four way junction had been removed and was lying by the side of the trail. Asked a nearby picnicking biker who pointed us towards the next section.
    A casual bit of vandalism or accident, who knows.
    What did bother me was the amount of rubbish left by the trails, obviously by bikers.

burko73

I had the same earlier this yr. tried to follow the red all the way through and had to stop a few times and recheck/ follow/ ask others. I don’t know if what I did was the red all the way through, just picked a flowy route that felt right.

I work in the outdoors and live by maps so am pretty sorted usually on this sort of stuff. It looked to me like the trail markers needed a refresh or some we’re missing. If you work somewhere like llandegla it’s easy to ride round and do your inspection and think, yep, all ok but you need to put yourself in the shoes/ look through the eyes of someone who hasn’t been there before to get it right.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Was almost embarrassed to start this thread but seems it’s not just me then!

Definitely needs sorting not only that it also stops the flow to the trials when you have stop and think where the next turn is every 5 mins!

Also the path upto b line where you cross the fireroad, no signs there at all either, I only knew where to go as I followed a group up the climb

martinhutch

Me too – Llandegla’s just about the only TC where I’ve managed to miss turn-offs for the trail I wanted and had to back-track to pick it up again.

Only been the once so can’t say if it was just me being spectacularly dense that day.

whitestone
    Free Member

Only been to Llandegla once so can’t comment on the current setup but I’d expect a coloured arrow before a junction to show where to go and a similarly coloured post after it to confirm that you are on the right track.

Coyote
    Free Member

What did bother me was the amount of rubbish left by the trails, obviously by bikers.

Love Llandegla but this really pisses me off and seems to be getting worse. If you can carry it in, you can carry it out. NO excuses.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep also noticed a load of rubbish on the trails, most weird stuff though at one point there was an empty box of cornflakes on the way round!?!? 😆

its a quality place to ride I must say, it pisses all over Cannock in every way shape and form and is the same distance to get too, guess if I ride it a bit more often Ill get used to all the trails and the layout

but I can certainly see how somebody would not have a clue where each section is

hopefully someone who works at llandegla reads the forum and acts upon the signage for the blind amongst us 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla signposting on the trails?!?!?!?!?!’ is closed to new replies.