Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Llandegla Clientele
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

Experience on a bike would say it’s often ott, I think that’s what the OP is getting, if it’s about trying to progress too fast I’d agree. OK some may need to stay injury-free for work, but for many I think it’s about risk perception and I wonder why they see it as such a high-risk sport. Pics of massive hucks and bloody injuries in the mags maybe.

I’m feeling old.. MTB was ‘wilderness racing’, adventure and rigid bikes that you were amazed could go off-road at all when I was younger. I guess if you get into bikes now there’s a different set of images projected. Chances of injury hasn’t changed though – or perhaps the bikes going faster more easily (full-sus and better brakes) has increased it for novice riders?

**** don’t get this thread at all, full of XC riders who’s sole idea of a ride is an XC loop.

The kind of riding I do doesn’t tend to be of the XC loop variety….. I like bike parks, downhill tracks or going out riding with the specific aim of finding interesting features to section. Whenever we ride we want to try and do something new that we haven’t done before. We go out riding with friends and goad each other into doing increasingly silly things, so yes, many of us like to go out with proper lids on.

I once passed a bunch of fully lycra’d cyclocross weirdos on a trail loop, whilst I was riding my 32.5lb Mega decked out with supertacky High Rollers. What was even funnier was that I had my seatpost slammed.

Were they XC walts? Probably not, they looked fit but we’re probably tired after doing a bigger ride. I gave them a smile and hello and they seemed friendly back! That’s what it’s all about.

tazzymtb

full of XC riders who’s sole idea of a ride is an XC loop.

you may find there’s a few “Xc” riders on here who have raced at international level or represented their country in MX enduros, even on an XC bike they can blow most Gnarcore DHer’s out of the water. just sayin like so you don’t feel bad if a lycra boy or some niche odd bod destroys you on a rad line dude 😀

EDIT: not me by the way, i mince more than lord mincey of mincington and couldn’t get a bike up a hill without a oxygen mask and at least 2 cake stops and a fag break. Even asthmatic snails carrying heavy shopping are quicker than me.

vickypea
    Free Member

What’s an “xc loop” ?

hora
    Free Member

Tazzymtb. Do you feel qualified to be their spokesperson for this subject?

once witnessed a lad on a shit trek hardtail in track bottoms do a rooty jump/drop. I asked him to wear my lid first! A better rider than all the gear me. Just because someone puffs on the way up doesnt mean theyd be slower than xc-you on the dh

tazzymtb

yes thanks hora 😀

hows the sandy vag?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Of course they probably can – elite mens can get away with riding DH tracks fast butt naked except for an XC lid. Why – because riding within 80 percent of their ability is still fast and unlikely to bring them off.

If a youngsters sole goal on a ride is to go out and section a downhill or hit some drops/gaps then they should probably be wearing a full face.

I’ve never seen anyone (except my brother who is an ex-sponsored rider) hit a large drop at speed on an XC hardtail with an XC lid.

My aforementioned brother did the biggest drop at Chicksands on a 24 inch rigid dirtjump bike with no brakes and no helmet….. he’s a different kettle of idiocy…..but he’d still usually wear his full face when he had days off from his racing and we’d go and mess around at trail centers in Wales or naughty trails that friends showed us in local woods.

The people that you should be laughing at are the people that judge others.

tazzymtb

If a youngsters sole goal on a ride is to go out and section a downhill or hit some drops/gaps then they should probably be wearing a full face.

totally agree with this.

in fact I don’t really disagree with anything to do with bikes and riding, it’s all fab and should be enjoyed to fullest by the whole wide diverse church of “mtb riders”. I love watching skilled folks in fully armour ride mental lines as much as I marvel at nutters riding XC stuff at a pace that would make me puke, as long as you’re having fun who really cares? 😀

The people that you should be laughing at are the people that judge others.

unfortunately mankind’s inherent tribalism means that those that don’t fit into the chosen “tribe” are usually mocked or treated with disdain, same in the world of skiing vs snowboarders, trad climbers vs sport vs bouldering, DH vs xc vs roadies…and so on. I have no bias, I’d have sexytime with each and every one

hora
    Free Member

As long as your having fun who cares?

You and a sizeable majority on this topic do. Im roadriding soon. **** if Im dressing like an advertising hoarding like most roadies. But hey they wont like it. When I see a logo’d up roadie I think of man utd fans wearing their football shirt in the pub.

tazzymtb

You and a sizeable majority on this topic do

hora darling, I really don’t, I just like seeing people out on their bikes. (and please point out to me where I’ve come across as being like that?)

you ok? you don’t seem your normal happy hora self?

crikey
    Free Member

Im roadriding soon.

Sweet baby Jesus.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

beicmynydd
    Free Member

On a visit to llandegla I got talking to a bloke on a 40lbs dh bike, he said that he was from Liverpool and that it was the closest place he could ride. Not my choice of bike but he was having a great time on it.

So each to his / or her own

nickc

Now TJ is not around the general consensus would probably be that helmets are a good idea

TJ never said helmets were not a good idea, what he said was “They have their place, sometimes you don’t need to wear one, and people sometimes perceive them to give more protection than they actually can”

I think we’ve all seen people dressed oddly whilst we think we’re not. example : seen a roadie in full cervelo gear, from shoes and socks and shorts, jersey, helmets gloves…everything, and the bike as well. He looked like he was having a great time doing his own Sunday morning TdF stage, he was doing about 10mph but **** it, he was having a ball…Same thing off road, seen the armoured guys, some seem like them don’t need to be wearing it, but you never know what accidents they’ve had or seen…Last visit to Cannock, a guy had come of the trail and bust his leg, he was wearing lycra shorts…perhaps if he’d been wearing armour…who knows eh?

Yeah, sometimes they look incongruous, sometimes they make you smile, and shake your head, but remember, they’re probably doing the same to you.

joat

@nickc. I agree with your point, I was just trying to avoid the helmet effectiveness issue. I don’t mind what anyone wears or rides, we all have to start somewhere. However we all make mistakes, and sometimes a bit of advice on clothing, bike set-up, or technique, be it from mates or magazines can improve your biking experience.

loddrik
    Free Member

smash out two early laps

Did I just read that….

There really are some knobs in the world…

bwaarp
    Free Member

I thought this post was pretty good. I know I’d rather hang out with the latter. 😈

I think I am getting the hang of this writing gig

posted this morning on my blog

While prepping my tools and parts for this transition to a road bike for the next 6 months I have been putting away most of my baggy downhill gear and chuckled when busting out the bibs and skin suit roadie stuff and I started to think how one gets so entangled into opposite sides of the spectrum. So I thought I would write on the subject.

I have never been that much of a roadie over the years of my competitive cycling. My first road bike was a 80’s steel frame Schwinn that was way to big for me and had toe clips. Needless to say it was the start of frantically trying to get your foot out before sacrificing my genitals on the top tube and hitting the asphalt since there was no standover. The only differences I have noticed from the downhill MTB crowd vs the roadies is technology but the demographics seem to have staying power that rivals a Vegas STD. Since I am legitimately both I guess I can get away with the real details.

Demographics of the Roadie Stereo type

Granola crunching, Latte sipping, Leg shaving, Prius driving, weight weenie. These are the yuppies that are dropping major coin to shave grams on their water bottle cages. The tech nerds that hover over the counter salivating on the newest power meter gadgets and talking to each other in watts while slipping and falling in grocery stores when wearing their 300 dollar Italian bike shoes. They can usually be found at a coffee shop listening to nora jones on their iPhone and discussing the intricacies of riding on cobble streets and the dynamics of bruised bananas in their jerseys during a metric century. They will often be found riding 3 or more abreast off the fog line taking up a whole lane but will still flip you the bird for not “sharing the road”. They will always have a matching dayglo florescent kit from socks to gloves and wont buy anything that doesn’t match the bike. They will buy a 300 dollar helmet every year because the last one was 3 grams too heavy. They don’t smoke, would never stay out past 8 and have a single digit body fat percentage and will always be bragging of that one minor case of road rash. They ride in pace lines drafting each other staring at each other butt while leaving a trail of GU wrappers. They pretend they are cars when the light is green but will be pedestrians when the light is red. Dont even get me started on the whole Fixie/Hipster trend.

Demographics of the Downhiller/MTB type

This group is the sloping forehead, dragging knuckle, beer guzzling, pickup truck driving, vulgar mouth breathing, GED holding, energy drink and junk food addicts. These groms are the ones pushing their bikes for miles to get a 3 minute ride in and be on the brakes the whole time. They can usually be found at a chair lift operated resort in the bar slamming down 40 bucks of beers and shots while eating a 99 cent hot dogs and Doritos to feed the “munchies” before they get their 250 lb carcass and 45 lb bike on the lift for another non pedaling run down the mountain. You can hear the squealing of their brakes a mile away and there is no bark on the trees next the trails from constant crashes. The only time you will see them pedal is in the parking lots and they leave a trail of chains and derailleurs down the trails. They will always be shoveling new jump lines and hacking down trees to make the newest “Huck” in hopes they will be in a movie. They will always have their headphones in listening to Slayer at full volume and will have to buy a new 400 dollar troy lee designs helmet every year because the last one was demolished. They are usually missing a sock because they had to take a crap somewhere along the trail and can often be cracking joke about each others moms. They brag about the hardware holding their bones together and complain about getting stitches over the top of their fresh tribal tattoo’s. Dont even get me started on the Dirtjumper trend.

But in the long run it is still two people spending 3-5 grand to get out and ride. In my case I feel at home on both sides.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla Clientele’ is closed to new replies.