• This topic has 30 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • living with idiots….
  • alpin
    Free Member

we've a housemate who is, let it be said, odd.

he sits there snorting (some problem with his throat) and touching everything he sees. he'll rub the tap when standing next to it with nothing to do. if your cup or glass is sitting near him whilst he's sitting he'll touch it (!??).

i think (really i know, but i'm not a doctor), that he suffers from autism and i/we try to bear this in mind, but….

i go to have a piss the other day and there is his staring back at me. bear in mind this is one of those german bogs with a 'viewing shelf'. and to top it off there was no paper in the bowl and then he starts to unload the dishwasher.

i told the tale to another housemate and he says it is not the first time that the poo thing has happened and we've had to pull up several times for not washing his hands after going to the toilet and then touching everything.

last monday i went downstairs at 12ish to put the bins out and the door was wide open. luckily nothing had gone, but we live near the centre of town and a relatively busy, yet quiet street. donkey sack was the last person to go outside three hours earlier. the bike room leads on directly from the entrance; 7 bikes worth LOTS of money (€1000 plus) and another six 'push bikes'. i kicked off once he got back and thought he'd understood the concept of closing doors, especially the door to your house.

and now, i go downstairs again and the front door is wide open! arrgh.

he's 29.

does anyone have any tips for living with austistic people. or better still tell me about your worst housemates…..

Drac

does anyone have any tips for living with austistic people.

Yeah don't call them idiots and have some patience.

uplink
    Free Member

he sits there snorting (some problem with his throat) and touching everything he sees

i go to have a piss the other day and there…

I stopped reading at this point ……. I don't want to know any more

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Self closing spring on the door seems to be a good starting point… 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am not convinced labelling him autistic helps and to me that does not sound autistic necessarily.

How does he react when confronted?

tails
    Free Member

This a troll right?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

don't you live in swisserland?

isn't most of his behaviour illegal

wwaswas

well if he doesn't wipe maybe he feels there's not need to wash either?

I'm not sure you're living with an idiot (or even someoen with autism), just someone who doesn't apply the same standards to their life that you do in yours?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Whats a "viewing shelf"?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Whats a "viewing shelf"?

traditionally Germans inspect their poo for worms etc…

wwaswas

what's 'etc' in that context then?

woody2000

Colour, shape, texture, jewish gold :-). Heard of the Bristol stool form chart?

OP – sounds more like OCD?

Drac

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Man, thats OK, then. I had images of an inspection team sitting on the viewing shelf watching you poo.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oops that wasn't the one I meant!

alpin
    Free Member

tj. not well. he just got in and i said "-X-, the door was open when i went down. can you just ma-…."

"verdammte scheiss!" and stormed upstairs.

he then comes down and says something like "i give you my word, that i'll close the door".

he's now stormed off outside again. thankfully i heard the door closetwo floors up.

alpin
    Free Member

i've seen that chart in people's homes before….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds more like a sociopathic type disorder – or maybe you are a bit anal and drive him crackers? At what point does eccentricity become an abnormality?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

At what point does eccentricity become an abnormality?

I wonder 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

At what point does eccentricity become an abnormality?

about now…

he can't/won't tae criticism. someone pointed out that his design of a house didn't have any windows in the kitchen and he flipped out and tore it up in front of everyone. i wasn't here at that point. what's a sociopathic disorder?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hence the term 'back to 3s and 4s'.

As in 'Heard you were dancing the sour apple quickstep last week, are you better yet?'

'Yeah, back to 3s and 4s'

Gary_C

I'd be hiding all the cutlery before going to bed tonight…..

samuri
    Free Member

Why do you keep a dishwasher in the bathroom? That's probably what's pushed him over the edge.

ourmaninthenorth

He's Swiss or German.

Surely that's explanation enough.

Drac

Sounds more and more like a clash of personalities.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

someone pointed out that his design of a house didn't have any windows in the kitchen

what, you mean like all commercial kitchens ??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

what's a sociopathic disorder?

I just checked – now an outdated term for antisocial personality disorder

I always thought that sociopath was less serious that psycopath – but it appears that is not current medical thinking. As always these things are on a spectrum not just the extremes.

Antisocial personality disorder: A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others and inability or unwillingness to conform to what are considered to be the norms of society.

Edit :- I didn't really mean this seriously anyway

Drac

I always thought that sociopath was less serious that psycopath

My Dad worked in mental health for years, he met his share of both. He reckoned Sociopaths were very unstable people, not that the Psycopaths he met were exactly stable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drac – it seems now from my link that they are now considered to be the same thing.

Labels change. The issues don't

zaskar
    Free Member

How come you guys let him move in with you?

Sounds like a disgusting nutter of a flea bag. I feel sorry for you!

Lock your bedroom door at night and barricade yourself in to make sure you don't get killed…

Drac

Drac – it seems now from my link that they are now considered to be the same thing.

Probably not a huge difference between the conditions.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘living with idiots….’ is closed to new replies.