Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Living near Aberdeen
  • flatfish
    Free Member

The opportunity has arisen for Mrs Fish to have a six month contract working in Aberdeen earning a tidy sum.
    We live just south of Bristol.
    The contract has offered to pay for weekly flights to and from or rental of a property.
    Mrs Fish has suggested she commutes initially then we all move up there during the summer holidays and I do a bit of daddy daycare with decent riding thrown in to entice me for 6 weeks.

Where should we be looking to live about an hours driving commute from Aberdeen.

Thanks.

I fully expect at least one answer referring to the North Sea. 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

where is she working …. you can live in the city and be an hours commute to anywhere.

or you can live on the right side of the city for your work and be quite far out into nice countryside within an hour.

gonefishin
    Free Member

The opportunity has arisen for Mrs Fish to have a six month contract working in Aberdeen earning a tidy sum.

Where in Aberdeen would she be working. Not being funny but that would have a serious impact on where you could live with a good quality of life and still have a reasonable commute.

flatfish
    Free Member

At the uni apparently.

trail_rat
    Free Member

which one and which campus. if its RGU garthdee you want to be on the southside/deeside

if its aberdeen uni in town , you want to be somewhere with a train station and get the bus out with the students

FG
    Free Member

Aberdeen or Robert Gordon?

flatfish
    Free Member

Not sure yet, she should know more tomorrow when she goes for her meeting.

gonefishin
    Free Member

If it’s Aberdeen uni then that’s old Aberdeen. If you can get somewhere there then I don’t think that would be too bad. Other than that you’d be looking at Bridge of Don and further North perhaps Balmedie or any of the small villages that way. Not an area I know very much about I’m afraid. If it’s Rober Gordons University then you would want anywhere on Deeside probably out as far as Banchory on either side of the river would be great. You’d struggle to find a bad place to live out that way.

FG
    Free Member

Was going to suggest Banchory if it was RGU mrsFish was going to. Less than an hour’s commute and decent riding 😀

benz
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Westhill or anywhere else out the A944 corridor. Pitfichie and Bennachie amongst others but a stones throw away. In addition no real hassle to get to RGU by going through Cults. Potentially quicker than Banchory.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Used to live near Stonehaven (south) – loved it. Some riding, but not as much as Banchory way. Commuting in to Aberdeen is ok as long as there aren’t roadworks/accidents on the A92 – can be a disaster if there are, good train service though. Banchory road probably not as susceptible to disruption.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mrs tr teachs next to the uni and we live between peterculter ad drumoak on deeside . On a clear day can take 30 minutes to get in – on a bad day it can take 3 hours.

On a bike its consistant

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My uncle was a professor at Aberdeen University, he commuted in from Banchory for twenty years or so.

crawf44
    Free Member

Avoid the commute. Aberdeen is a fine place to live and the hills aren’t far away.

oli31
    Free Member

spent two weeks with the inlaws in keith (I know but hear me out . . . . ) weather on the Moray coast and some distance inland is simply amazing proper little micro climate often sunny when everywhere SW is damp and driech. Some ok riding too Ben Aigan, Ben Rinnes, Banchory and the Lecht not too far.

Hohum
    Free Member

Living that far north would be great in the summer with all of that daylight available, but it must be extremely hard going in the winter when the sun keeps setting earlier and earlier and earlier….

Then again, you will miss the “dark” half of the year, so I hope you have lots of fun!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Avoid the commute. Aberdeen is a fine place to live and the hills aren’t far away.”

which was the advice i heeded when i moved up.

I HATED the city.

depends what your used to , if you come from bristol and live in the city and are used to the city life then it maybe ok. for me from growing up on the edge of a small town and a farm it was hell on earth. – want to go somewhere at 4.30 on a friday – takes 2 hours to get to the other side of the city in the car.

where as if you choose you spot right for the traffic you can travel consistently just avoid the hotspots like the haudagain and bridge of dee pretty much. When i drive i can be home by 5.15 most nights from dyce. Unless there is really bad traffic in dyce caused by terrible driving that is prevelent up here. (ie its icy and snowy right now , watch 5 cars turn into the junction at the blacksmiths on the alford road last night while waiting my turn , each one going faster and faster till the transit parked its self in the blacksmiths. )

i realise i just jinxed my self for tonight 😉

You couldnt pay me to live in the city again YMMV

messiah
    Free Member

Location x 3 tonight is Aberdeen…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Living near Aberdeen’ is closed to new replies.