• This topic has 73 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • living legends
  • Garry_Lager

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Still havent seen anyone apart fro maybe Mercx who dominated his sport in such a manner or for as long as Lester Piggot. Those of you posting lists just show your low standards. Some definite non-legends have been mentioned, true. Jockeying is sort of unique, though – can’t think of any other sport which has such longevity for the top men. Piggott rode at the top level for 40 years. Is there any other physical sport that you can do for so long at the elite level I wonder?

Marion Tinsley was one of the most dominant players of any game (draughts) – lost 7 games in 50 years. I guess you’re more likely to see these massive differentials in talent with the less popular sports / games.

dallas95
    Free Member

Tony Alva

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

King Fabu.Cavendish. Jack White. John Holmes.

clubber
    Free Member

did Redgrave need to win 6 to get a mention? 😯

Pigface
    Free Member

Graham Noyce
    Hakan Carlqvist
    Geraint Jones
    Martin Lampkin

jota180
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Still havent seen anyone apart fro maybe Mercx who dominated his sport in such a manner or for as long as Lester Piggot. Those of you posting lists just show your low standards.

Piggot as good as he was – only really dominated in the 60s
    Gordon Richards – although now dead – was in another league altogether

anagallis_arvensis

Piggot as good as he was – only really dominated in the 60s

that i’m afraid is pure bollocks. Pretty sure he won the Derby four timrs in the 70’s not to mention the triple cown on Nijinski. Ten days into his come back in about 1993 aged 56 he won the richest mile race in the world on Royal Academy in a breath taking bit of riding. No won else would have won on that horse that day go google it.

mudshark
    Free Member

Anyone who mentions a cyclist without also mentioning Eddie Merckx can’t know much about cycling. If Lance hadn’t focussed so much on the TdF then he’d be up there but maybe he only did so well by being so focussed. So a Tdf legend anyway.

Cav is on his way, I smile when I remember the Cav threads back in 2007/8 when so many here slagged him off, so wish we could go back to those threads now.

shogger
    Free Member

Can’t believe it took 30 posts for someone to say ‘Michael Jordan’!!
    The guy was a sheer force of nature!!

anagallis_arvensis

Ok so he was a 54 year old living legend like the man says[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ymmTcCW31JE[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Ole Einar Bjørndalen. 1993 all 3 golds at junior worlds, 1996 first World Cup win, 2002 all 4 Olympic Golds, 2012 latest World Cup win. All in one of the most physically and mentally demanding sports. Not my fault if you’ve not heard of him.

anagallis_arvensis

Her he was schooling the Yanks in 1968 over twenty years before[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vtCzut8FyGM[/video]

Cletus

Jack Vance
    Andy Morrison
    Malcolm Hebden

headpotdog
    Free Member

Senna???

yunki
    Free Member

Bez

donsimon
    Free Member

headpotdog – Member

Senna???
    Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

Bruno? Interesting choice. 😀
    I’d possibly put in Mark Spitz.
    Redgrave for longevity under a ridiculous training regime.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Phil ” the power ” Taylor,
    Shaun white.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Redefined a sport…10x world champion

Travis Rice

Redefined our sport.

SaxonRider

Wayne Gretzky
    Ken Dryden
    Vladislav Tretiak

Pele
    Johan Cruyff

Greg LeMond

Jacques Villeneuve

cove123

Robbie Naish, windsurfing

Tomac MTB

Cav/Wig/Lance/Indurian and Robert Miller road

Bubba golf

Garry_Lager

SaxonRider – Member

Wayne Gretzky
    Ken Dryden
    Vladislav Tretiak

Pele
    Johan Cruyff

Greg LeMond

Jacques Villeneuve Do you mean his dad Gilles?

saleem
    Free Member

Pete Sampras, Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson, Floyd mayweather jr

shaggy

Lots of obvious ones, several dead ones. No mention of Kelly Slater.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Apart from the rather nice picture of him doing a forehand snap oop there /\ ?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Jason McRoy

Living legends mate, not dead ones.

RIP.

**** waste that was.

jota180
    Free Member

that i’m afraid is pure bollocks. Pretty sure he won the Derby four timrs in the 70’s not to mention the triple cown on Nijinski. Ten days into his come back in about 1993 aged 56 he won the richest mile race in the world on Royal Academy in a breath taking bit of riding. No won else would have won on that horse that day go google it.

He did indeed win lots but take a look at the jockey champs over the years to see how much domination of the sport various jockeys had

Richards was the champion jockey for almost 30 years, Piggot did it for 7 or 8 years in a row
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_flat_racing_Champion_Jockey

RustyMac

I’m gonna chuck Sir Chris Hoy’s name into the hat.

Bear
    Free Member

Pigface – Geraint Jones? Cricketer?

redfordrider
    Free Member

What no female legends?

martina navratilova
    Gunn-Rita Dhal
    The Queen
    Williams sisters
    Paula Radcliffe
    Thatcher (…let the flaming begin)
    Billy Gene King

…let’s have some positive female role models for all your daughters to be inspired by!

anagallis_arvensis

He did indeed win lots but take a look at the jockey champs over the years to see how much domination of the sport various jockeys had

Lester, being very big for a jockey, struggled to make the weights needed for the daily grind of tryingto championships. Thats why he concentrated on winning big races. He was champion jockey 11 times but holds the record for British Classic victories at 30. Gordon Richards didnt get even close to winning as many classics or big races and like you said is dead anyway.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Some rubbish here but John Holmes – LOL assuming its the John Holmes i am thinking of!

bellerophon
    Free Member

I learnt something about Spitz, in that he not only won 7 gold medals they were all in world record time 😯

theblackmount
    Free Member

Agree with Naish and Hamilton.

Skiing? How about Hermann Maier aka “The Herminator” Legend before he almost lost both legs in a car crash but he came back from horrendous injuries to be crowned World Champ.

DezB
    Free Member

Active: After Saturday night, definitely Floyd Mayweather.
    Living but not active: Roberto Duran.

(boxing, in case you live in a cave)

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘living legends’ is closed to new replies.