Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Living in/near Forest of Dean?
  • skyhigh_71

Any STW'ers living in Forest Of Dean area? Conisdering moving that way from Thames Valley. Looks very attractive, house prices good compared to current area. Specifically anyone in/near Cinderford?

What are the drawbacks? – Looks like about 15 miles to Gloucester for nearest mainline train and M5 motorway. Anyone travelling extensively for work from this area – how do you find it.

Also any comments on local schools?

Many thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

Is your partner also your cousin (or maybe even your sister)?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You don't know much about the FOD do you? 🙂

What nickjb said…

and

ski
    Free Member

Friend of mine bought a place near to Cinderford, came with a deep mine shaft in his back garden!

nickjb is correct, it does have a bit of a reputation 😉

Alternatively, Cheltenham is maybe the Town to look at locally.

Bedds
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

Is your partner also your cousin (or maybe even your sister)?

oi! 😉

I live there..

House prices depend on where you want to live.. move over towards Ross On Wye and you hit commuter land, prices therefore higher

I live in Cinderford.. bit of a shite hole if I'm honest, used to be a good area but has gone down hill over the last few years, I guess it's a typical ex-mining area although there are nice parts (luckily we live in one)

Schools, best school is in Monmouth, very good reputation.. not sure on local secondary schools anymore..

Cracking riding though, i'm right in the middle of loads of singletrack :mrgreen:

I know ALeigh off here lives over Ross way and commutes, we're lucky to be accessible to Bristol, Cardiff and Brum. There's a (very) small rail station in Lydney that is on the Gloucester line too (Lydney is 8 miles from Cinderford but only about a 15 min drive).

If you want any more info drop us an email 🙂

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Cinderford is quite a run down town – never really recovered from the loss of heavy industry/the pits etc. There is regular talk of 'regeneration' but not much seems to happen. I would get to know the area a little better before you decide where to live (and don't be fooled by all the nice scenery…)

Bedds
    Free Member

Yeah I agree SF..

We're moving to Ross in the near future.. much better IMO

Steelfreak
    Free Member

I like Ross (go there shopping) but wouldn't want to live there.

TooTall
    Free Member

From reading posts on here, it seems you develop a fetish for no gears on your bike – some sort of regression in the FoD to fit in with the locals!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Bedds – How do you find typing with those webbed fingers?

Bedds
    Free Member

TSY..

Yeah not too bad, takes a bit of getting used to.. 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Look on the bright side…. I bet you're ace at swimming!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Living in/near Forest of Dean?’ is closed to new replies.