Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Living in a flat and washing bikes?
  • dan77
    Free Member

so we just moved into a flat and it turns out that if I wash a bike in the bath she will more than likely kill me! I thought it was great idea! So what’s a cheap way to do it, I was thinking of one pump garden sprayers but I never seen one that give you that much pressure?

jekkyl

run a hose out the window?
    wash it at the trail centre

Edric64
    Free Member

You need the local Polish car washers to do it ! Get them to turn the pressure down and mind the bearings !

bob_summers

I’ve been living in flats with no way of washing bikes for about 20 years 🙁
    Some (or most IME) garage jet washes give out a fine spray/mist if you don’t pull the trigger, they work a treat on the way back from a ride. My MTB gets the full blast and it doesn’t seem to impact much on the bearings or seals, but YMMV. Occasionally I’ll wash the road bike in the shower if I’m home alone, but it means I have to then clean the shower as well so I try to avoid it.

yunki
    Free Member

You need a new partner..
    My ex was as you describe.. My present girlfriend has no qualms about my bike though..

I carry it upstairs wet and muddy, leave it to dry for a few days in the corner of the living room (vacuum cleaner gets up any dry muck from the carpet) then a good brush down in the kitchen to remove dry mud, sweep up and then give the bike a wash..

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

1st floor flat dweller of three years, here.

A powered, portable pressure washer + MucOff (other cleaner juices are available).

We have a 12volt, car powered version (brandX, I think). I’ve had to repair it a few times, so if you have the money and expect to be using it a lot, buy the best you can.

You can wash in the bath but its a nightmare to clean up afterwards. It really is….

takisawa2

I used to secrete a water drum & bucket in the bushes around the back of the block.
    Also used a local lake, stand the bike at the edge & use a toilet brush to clean it.
    Had some odd looks though. 😕

Good tip I had off here was blagging a king size mattress bag from a bed shop.
    Literall put the whole bike inside & carry it upstairs for a day or so, till I could be bothered to clean it.

Then I discovered the joy of rigid singlespeeding.

nickdavies

Nomad pressure washer lives in the car. Bike gets washed after a ride if i’m in the car, if not I just nip down to the car park and blast it off.

Better when it gets cleaned before driving home though, cos the roofracks give it an air dry too!

poolman
    Free Member

I love these threads – last week I washed my bike by riding through a fountain, it was a
    pavement level ride in water feature. Enough pressure to get the mud out from under the
    mudguards.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Living in a flat and washing bikes?’ is closed to new replies.