Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • Liverpool (snigger)
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As a Leeds fan who has been through this many times….

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9074311.stm

binners

Liverpool FC really is the gift that never stops giving.

But I’m not gloating too much, as I fear we’ll be following in their footsteps 🙁

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/08/manchester-united-losses

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah, I saw that too. I do think that Manyuu have stronger foundations though – just by being in the Champ’s League gives them the guaranteed income I assume Liverpool thought they too would have.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I think a 16th place finish is exactly what Liverpool need this yr.

binners

As a Leeds fan you’ll know how fast it can go tits up though. Liverpool finished second by a point two seasons ago and got to a champions league quarter final. This year the best they can hope for is mid-table obscurity.

Unless they fall into the same mindset as Leeds, Newcastle and City before them ie: “we’re too big a club to go down”

Bregante

Help!.

Does anyone know how to cancel an ebay bid?

I placed a bid a couple of days ago on a Mickey Mouse outfit and now I’m just a few hours away from owning Liverpool Football Club!!!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to see the local derby as Liverpool & Everton fight it out for the title of the “little club”.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As a Leeds fan you’ll know how fast it can go tits up though.

Ohh yes. I was at the match when we missed out on another season in the Champion’s League after (IIRC) a very late goal somewhere else and Liverpool got the spot.

Soon after O’Leary was gone and we went into freefall. Things are looking better this year though. 4-1 up at home against PNE and lose 6-4 😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How can a Leeds fan gloat over the demise of another club? I mean, look what it’s done to Leeds; sunk them down to the 3rd division, where they’ve been fighting to get out of for the last few seasons. May take them a season or two to become proper title contenders in 2nd div, then the inevitable struggle to stay up even if they do eventually get back to the top flight. Meanwhile, teams like Man City and Chelsea just have millions pumped into them, making it even harder for other teams to compete. Leeds went from playing in theChampions League, to a team which may not win a major trophy again in your lifetime.

All because of money. Do you think that’s good for football? I don’t. The current system is unsustainable. As Binners points out; even mega-bucks Man U could be facing he same problem as Liverpool, in a short while. The Banks want their money back, and don’t care which businesses fail along the way. I think the Liverpool situation will be sadly repeated throughout football. Which won’t be good for what really matters, the game. Look at Scottish football; it’s crap, with only two teams ever winning owt, and the inability of Scotland to produce good players, due to no money for other clubs to provide decent training facilities.

Liverpool will survive this, as they are a major global brand, which someone will be only too willing to take on. It’s yer clubs like Portsmouth that will fall by the wayside. And that’s not good.

Sad that football has become almost entirely dictated by money. Arsenal are one of the only clubs actually turning a profit, but they won’t win owt because they are too concerned with staying alive. The price of failure is becoming too high for clubs to take risks now.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How can a Leeds fan gloat over the demise of another club?

Because that’s football rivalry for you. Probably because I have never been able to bear listening to the Liverpool fans singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone (that has ALWAYS got on my tits at every match I have been to or seen on the telly). Not meant to be an offence to you Fred, it’s just the way it is – we all laugh at other clubs demises don’t we?

to a team which may not win a major trophy again in your lifetime.

Yep I know – I had committed to going to the final had we got there and the single reason why? Because I knew THEN that it might be my one and only chance in my lifetime. I was almost relieved when we went out because I couldn’t really afford the expense.

kimbers

elfinsafety is right

and as a luton fan i can entirely sympathise

the FA is entirely unfit for purpose and should be completely reorganised, i dont think it will ever happen though

however having just had a conversation with a liverpool fan who is completely of the mindset that liveropool are too big to fail and will never go down, it would be kinda funny

at the end of the day its only football

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

we all laugh at other clubs demises don’t we?

Not when it’s due to things beyond the manager and players’ control. I din’t enjoy watching Leeds slide down the league. I believe football should be a sporting contest, not ‘who’s got the biggest transfer budget’. That a mediocre club like Chelsea or Man City can suddenly get good simply because they have unlimited funds to buy the best players puts other clubs at an unfair disadvantage. Granted, money has been part of the sport for decdes, but the current situation is just ridiculous.

Personally, I’d impose a budget cap, bit like in F1. That would put an end to ridiculous transfer fees, and limit club’s spending on new players.

Greedy bastard money men probbly have other ideas though…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I din’t enjoy watching Leeds slide down the league.

Good on you. I didn’t either 😉

But the way I feel is about rivalry, not budgets or anything in the background. I want Leeds to do well, I like to see Manyuu succeed too (to a much lesser extent, but simply in memory of my dad). I don’t really care why other clubs implode but really Liverpool (and a few others) should have learnt something from the Leeds’ debacle.

binners

As the article about man yoo pointed out we’ve lost 84 million last season (havig bought nobody), but the Glazers took 127 million out of the club in various ‘fees’

So they’re paying themselves to bankrupt our club. Then when they’ve milked it for all they can get they’ll simply waltz off into the sunset. Its a bloody disgrace. And the FA should be ashamed for letting this kind of thing go on. How long do they think that they’ll be able to sell their lucrative broadcasting rights if teams like Utd and Liverpool can’t even field potential championship-winning squads?

mikey74
    Free Member

You people seem to be ignoring the fact that Liverpool have been sold to a company that will pay off all of the debt. The fact that the current owners are dragging it through the court is irrelevant as even IF Hicks wins the case, RBS step in and say “where’s our money?”; Hicks says “erm, I don’t have it”; RBS says “ok we will take control of the company and force the sale to NESV”, therefore paying off all the debt.

surfer
    Free Member

The current system is unsustainable. As Binners points out; even mega-bucks Man U could be facing he same problem as Liverpool, in a short while

Fred is right, As a Liverpool fan this shows us one thing that if this can happen to the greatest team we have produced it can happen (very quickly) to others including Man U.
    I also didnt enjoy the demise of Leeds and I wouldnt even relish the downfall of Man U (wouldnt catch me saying that on match day) because at the end of the day its bad for football.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Probably because I have never been able to bear listening to the Liverpool fans singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone

Jealousy will get you nowhere. It is the greatest football anthem of any team. Those that hate it do so only because they don’t have it.

it’s just the way it is – we all laugh at other clubs demises don’t we

In fairness m_f, that’s a load of shite. We may laugh at other sides losses. Of course I piss myself if Man Utd or Everton screw up and lose. But am I somehow happy to see a club as great (that was hard to say) as Utd owned by Americans who call it a “franchise” in private who leverage their debt against the club and put the whole club in a precarious financial position? My fat hairy arse I am! It’s disgusting. There’s a permanent “for sale” sign outside every flipping club in the country – especially those hungry for success – and the board and fans get blinded by the desire for cups and champions league football. It’s disgusting. It always has been.

I may have always slightly disliked Leeds and their brand of romping all over the country kicking lumps out of other teams, but did I like seeing how they were destroyed inside a decade by financial mismanagement. For sure, I didn’t.

surfer
    Free Member

therefore paying off all the debt.

Yes but we could be docked 10 points and while I dont worry about Liverpool ending the season in the bottom 3 it does make even a mid table finish unlikely.

grumm
    Free Member

So they’re paying themselves to bankrupt our club.

I’m amazed that these kind of shenanigans are even legal.

xcstu
    Free Member

Its these outside buyers that are really in it for the money not the football 🙁

M Utd used to be one of, if not highest profiting clubs in football.. year after year until greedy Americans borrowed money to buy it! Now all they seem to do is pay back the interest!

Can’t see it being good for football.. Chelsea and City run on big losses, and without these owners with big pockets how can that be good for the business??

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes but we could be docked 10 points and while I dont worry about Liverpool ending the season in the bottom 3 it does make even a mid table finish unlikely.

Why would we be docked [10] you mean 9, points? The club would not actually go into administration, technically speaking.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In fairness m_f, that’s a load of shite.

Well it’s how I feel, shite or not. Perhaps it is a bitter Leeds fan wanting another team to suffer a similar fate.

And I am being honest here – I wonder how many of you can honestly say you felt anything but amusement at Leeds’ fate?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I didn’t.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well good on you then Fred. Clearly more of a man than I.

binners

Whats most offensive (and there’s a lot to be offended by) about the Liverpool situation is Gillet and Hicks attitude that they have some god-given right to make a huge profit.

They paid 400 million for a club that very nearly won the premiership and did well in the Champions league

They then sell half the decent players, renege on a promise of a new stadium, load the club with debt .

The club then fails to qualify for Europe, sits in the relegation zone and they value it at 800 million!!!!!

Thats like buying a car, putting 100,000 miles on the clock, crashing it into a wall, then expecting to sell it for twice what you paid for it

The sooner they **** off and take the Glazers with them, the better

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wonder how many of you can honestly say you felt anything but amusement at Leeds’ fate

Me neither.

surfer
    Free Member

Why would we be docked [10] you mean 9, points? The club would not actually go into administration, technically speaking.

Typo,

possible

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And aslo, how about if each club’s owners were limited to putting in a certain amount each season. Like the F1 budget cap. Any other money could then be raised through merchandising and from the fans etc. This would still see bigger clubs have bigger incomes, but then moneys would come in from being good and getting results, not just because some Russian or Arab billionaire fancies a new plaything.

So, for eg per season:

£50 million investment
    £50 million transfer budget
    All other income through merchandising etc.

This way, successful clubs could be able to buy swanky new stadiums, and please their shareholders, without incurring massive debts. Plus, clubs could choose to either buy more players, or invest in training facilities etc, it would be up to them. Or buy 2 or 3 star players, or several cheaper ones. Maybe a bit simplistic but you get the idea.

And also, limit squad sizes to say 25 players per season, like the F1 engine allowance. Works in International tournaments. That way, you wouldn’t have clubs buying up all available talent simply to stop other clubs getting them, and full of whole teams of benchwarmers who could be playing regular first team football for other clubs. You buy, you reach your ‘allowance’, you have to sell.

Just ideas. Don’t see why they can’t be looked at really. I believe the game would be better off for them.

dooosuk
    Free Member

even IF Hicks wins the case, RBS step in and say “where’s our money?”; Hicks says “erm, I don’t have it”; RBS says “ok we will take control of the company and force the sale to NESV”

I think that is what Hicks wants as he stands to lose less money if the club is taken off him than he does if it is sold (I think that’s what I read somewhere).

Garry_Lager

Administration is a tantalising thought, but I’d ride Glentress black bollock naked if the RS get docked ten points. There is literally no way the prem would allow that to happen. We’re not talking Portsmouth or Leeds here.

kimbers

id probably agree with garry_lagger

there is so much money tied up in the sky tv rights that the fat crooks at the fa would step in and make a special case for liverpool

if they did go into receivership, get fined and start plummeting down the tables id like to think that would be enough to have the fa exposed as the useless corrupt scumbags that they are

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think it’s more a case of “who’s laughing now?”

There were a helluva lot of people rubbing their hands with glee when Leeds went into administration.

The “football family” wasn’t paying attention then and is probably still not paying attention now – how many clubs have gone into administration since Leeds did? Far too many. Portsmouth were the first top-flight club to fall but I bet they won’t be the last…

mikey74
    Free Member

The sad thing about the Liverpool situation is that none of it is our doing. If you look at Leeds: They overreached and over=spent and ultimately paid the penalty. Liverpool, on the other hand, have been dragged into this by a couple of cowboys who clearly don’t know what they are doing. The club i.e. Liverpool FC is still extremely solvent: it’s only Kop Holdings, the company set up by G&H, that is in debt.

maxray
    Free Member

I wasnt happy to see Leeds fall from grace but I was happy to see them fall from romping League 1 and let us pull back around 20 points on them to win the league last season 😀 OTBC!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Liverpool, on the other hand, have been dragged into this by a couple of cowboys who clearly don’t know what they are doing.

They let them buy the club surely?

schrickvr6
    Free Member
    GlitterGary
    Free Member

“Probably because I have never been able to bear listening to the Liverpool fans singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone”

What’s a Celtic song got to do with Liverpool?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They let them buy the club surely?

Yeah but they promised to invest loads of money for players and a new stadium. They din’t do a great job on the first one (not helped by the purchases of Robbie Keane and Aquilani it must be said), and have failed to deliver on the second. The Credit Crunch hit them hard, leaving them unable or unwilling to invest the promised funds to make Liverpool competitive at the very top. Now that just want to screw as much money as they can out of the club, and bugger off. NESV do at least look a slightly better prospect.

I’m not too knowledgeable about the Man U situation, suffice that the Glazers have created astronomical debt. I would not want to see Liverpool’s greatest Rivals suffer due to similar reasons, I must say. Much rather play them and hopefully win, on equal terms.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What’s a Celtic song got to do with Liverpool?

Ha ha!

Nice one. Very funny! 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Liverpool started singing it before Celtic.

Oh, and G&H bought the club on the promise that they wouldn’t put a load of debt on the club.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Liverpool (snigger)’ is closed to new replies.