• This topic has 41 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Live Strava segments on Garmin Edge devices is out
  • bitasuite
    Free Member

Exicited to try this out tomorrow on the commute. Anyone used it yet? I think it’s going to take Strava to another level, but I hope people use it sensibly especially on segments with pedestrians/walkers.

It looks great by the way. I’ve loaded some of my nearby segments via Strava. You enable it through Garmin Connect.

coblck
    Free Member

Had a look but cant see an option on my garmin connect ….how did you enable it ????

rondo101
    Free Member

Firmware update needed on 510, 810 and 1000, which is being rolled out between now and sept. 520 is the only unit that has it currently. No other garmin units will have it as I understand. You also need to be a premium strava user.

So basically a reason to buy a newer garmin and subscribe to prem strava. Almost like the marketing teams got their heads together…

Superficial
    Free Member

Does it track any segments you ride through, or do they have to be from a preloaded GPX that you’re following? If it’s the latter then I don’t think I’d ever use it. The former? Maybe. It seems like a cool use of the technology but not worth £whatever/year (For Strava premium) IMO.

legend
    Free Member

£120/year (For Strava premium)

Strava premium isn’t £120

cheekyget
    Free Member

£44.99 a year…….still a lot I think……£20 to me seems right

You would think for the amount of people using strava…..and in my group I don’t know anyone who has premium , that strava would cut their prices to make it more appealing

BenjiM

If you use all the features available, I think that £3.75 a month is pretty reasonable and conversely I know lots of folk who have premium.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Got to agree with the point if it was cheaper there would be more people paying for it. I know of a couple of premium strava users but hundreds of free users, £20 and I’d buy every year.

njee20
    Free Member

It will automatically add any ‘favourited’ segments to your device, then pick them up as you ride through, whether navigating or not. I’ve been manually putting the odd one on my 1000 for months, and it works well, so I think it’s a brilliant evolution.

Don’t think Strava Premium is overpriced for what it is. If you do then don’t pay, not difficult.

Checked my 1000 this morning quickly as I ran out the door and it didn’t say there was an update, is it there for all devices?

legend
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

It will automatically add any ‘favourited’ segments to your device

Didn’t realise that’s how it worked! Might have to actually load the initial roll-out this time rather than waiting for the fix in 3 versions time 😉

munkster
    Free Member

To be fair if people are baulking at Strava Premium then just trace out the same segments you might be interested in to Garmin Connect and use Garmin segments to see how you’re doing (in real time) on a particular stretch of your ride. Do we know if the Garmin segments will continue to work after the Strava stuff muddies the “segment” waters on the devices?

njee20
    Free Member

If you don’t want to pay for Premium, just use this, you have to manually create each one and upload it, works very well though. Converts Strava segments to Garmin ones.

deadkenny
    Free Member

This is one feature that would encourage me to go premium. The other premium features are interesting but nothing I really want to pay for, but with segment support in Garmins added then it adds more value to it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Avoiding this as it would likely turn my disciplined z2 training rides into z5 thrashes! 🙂

bitasuite
    Free Member

Used it this morning on my Edge 1000. Works really well and so easy to load segments to the device. All you do is star a segment in Strava and it almost instantaneously loads to the Garmin. You obviously need to be on wifi though. Well worth the money for a premium account IMO

edit: more info here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/introduce-segments-series.html

Superficial
    Free Member

That does sound pretty good. I wonder, what would stop you uploading all your ‘favourite’ segments to the garmin then cancelling your strava subscription?

ant77
    Free Member

I am on this when I get home!

Will be interested to see what it does when there’s some segments close together. Will it stop the navigation of one as it approaches the other to let you know you’re almost at a new one as it does currently?

Is there functionality to turn off individual segments from the device?

bitasuite
    Free Member

ant – yes you can turn off individual segments from the device. I’m not sure what happens with overlapping segments yet. I guess it will continue with the current segment and ignore others until you’ve finished the segment you’re on. Not 100% about this though.

njee20
    Free Member

It only deals with the first segment you start, ignores any others altogether. It struggles a bit if you have two very close together too, ie one ends and another starting 100 yards later – climb and descent type thing.

munkster
    Free Member

No update for 810 yet 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you use all the features available, I think that £3.75 a month is pretty reasonable and conversely I know lots of folk who have premium.

A lot of people won’t benefit from the premium featuers. If you have a power meter though it’s a no brainer because the tools it offers to help you analyse your power, particularly the ability to monitor power by segments is incredibly useful.

legend
    Free Member

Bugger, was just about to ask that. Was hoping to have a wild Live Segment party ride tonight 🙁

DT78
    Free Member

If you use a hrm the sufferscore is useful and is used for the fitness / form graph which i think is great. Obviuosly a power meter is better.

Ive been using manual segments on my 1000 for a while knowing exact start and finish points makes it much easier to snatch koms. Interesting to follow traces where you can see how inaccurate the leaders device was (usually phone) as you can find yourself 1 second behind, then 10 secs in front, then 5 behind etc…as each second ticks by

munkster
    Free Member

This must be a first actually; people actually looking FORWARD to a Garmin firmware update 😆

I just hope it doesn’t all end in tears, bricked devices, lost data, missed KOMs….. Nooooooooo!!! 😉

legend
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they’ll still make a mess of it……. but the draw is definitely stronger this time!

DT78
    Free Member

Anyone know how it will work if you are following a route on the garmin, and it comes to a segement you’ve favourited? Switch from navigation page to the segment page and then back again?

njee20
    Free Member

IIRC navigation takes precedence – no segments if you’re navigating. Could be wrong though, I don’t navigate all that often!

rsvktm

Might be me being dumb, but just linked strava and Garmin, starred a couple of segments. Showing on garmin but do they show anywhere on the garmin 1000 itself as a list ?

Cheers

ollieT
    Free Member

Is this available foe the 510 yet and if so wheres the link to update it. All I can find in an old update.
    Tahnks

njee20
    Free Member

Might be me being dumb, but just linked strava and Garmin, starred a couple of segments. Showing on garmin but do they show anywhere on the garmin 1000 itself as a list ?

There’s a “segments” menu somewhere, I forget where, within settings perhaps. That shows them as a list.

rsvktm

Thanks, thought would be in the segments folder on main page but they aren’t. I’ll see if they show tomorrow on the commute.
    Dont think released yet for 510, wife’s not happy..

bitasuite
    Free Member

You need to authorise Strava from within Garmin Connect. I did this on my PC. If it’s not working try logging in and out of both Garmin and Strava.

When it works the segments icon on the garmin is replaced by the strava logo.

rsvktm

Cheers bitasuite, I was just coming on to say that it’s now showing them. I had authorised but don’t think the 1000 had downloaded properly before, because when I switched it on again later to check it the icon changed as you said.
    Looks like will be a great little tool, like the fact that can choose either PR or KOM.

bitasuite
    Free Member

It shows the fastest rider that you follow too. So you can either race against your pb, the KOM, your fastest friend for that segment, or you can set a goal via Strava.

Not sure what happens if your following a route. If anyone can report back it’d be appreciated.

otsdr
    Free Member

Enabled it, a bit shit that it always defaults to ‘carrot’ mode (next fastest friend) instead of remembering what you were on (i.e. PR).
    Also, disabling all segments doesn’t seem to work, I still get the segment notifications.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

More useful on the road, but the Strava App also has the live features if you’re Premium and happy to have your phone on your bars.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

So is the update out for the 810 yet?

Don’t know why I’m so excited as I’ve been converting strava segments to Garmin ones for a while now!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What am I missing on this ? Why is it useful ?

Surely it’s just going to increase the amount of idiots riding dangerously as they look at their computer trying to beat an EPO’d KOM?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

You’re not missing anything. Move along now, nothing to see here…

EhWhoMe

i might be missing somthing but you can do this with garmin connect anyway..FREE..just open an existing segment or create your own, in the top corner is send to device..it then shows your on your edge your PB and the Leaders Time, it kicks in when you enter that segment start point and shows how your doing against your pb…granted that isnt linked to the strava leader board but you can race your own pb which is really the only one you can beat and if its fast enough it will be the fastest

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Live Strava segments on Garmin Edge devices is out’ is closed to new replies.