Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Little Advise Please – Gears and Brakes
  • timg147
    Free Member

Hi All

can someone give me a little advise regarding gears and brakes

Firstly I am running xtr dual control shifters – M966 i believe. I have always seemed to have had less power on the rear brake than the front. I have changed the pads and the problem still remains. I have noticed that where the brake hose goes into the shifter / brake lever it looks as though the hose has been bent at some stage and has pinched by the union. I have tried using some pliers gently to try to get it round again but it always goes back to the same shape. Can I just cut the section off, do I need a new fitting? Or am I best to replace the hose and upgrade at the same time (i do need to shorten the front hose as well), if so does anyone have any suggestions what to get and where from?

Secondly I have a problem with slipping gears, it seems to be on a couple of the larger rear cogs. I tried fitting another set of wheels with a different cassette, I have also tried changing the rear derailleur and altering the chain length but the problem persists. I this the rear derailleur is the M971 and I believe this doesnt have the little thunbwheel for fine adjustment. Do I just persist with small adjustments or what can people suggest? Am I best taking it to my LBS and getting them to set it up?

petrieboy

hard to tell what the issue is with the brakes. is the joint leaking? if you need to shorten the hose then you need a replacement olive, inexpensive from your LBS or CRC/Wiggle

for the gears, assuming you’ve played around with the barrel adjuster and they change gear at the right point, try the B Tension screw. this adjusts how far the top jockey wheel sits from the cassette – if its set too close, perhaps because you previously had a smaller cassette?? it can cause jumping

petrieboy
    cynic-al
    Free Member

gear issue is wear or set up.

If the hose isn’t leaking then it’s not at fault.

gnusmas

I too have the XTR dual m966 set up, similar problems here re braking. Front no problem, rear never felt great always seemed to be spongy. I replaced my hose with a goodridge one and that helped a fair bit but still not as good as the front. I just assumed it was the way they were.

The only time i had a problem with slipping gears was on a sram cassette, the cogs had unbonded themselves from the carrier. I didn’t notice this on the wheel, i took it off to change the cassette and chain to see if this helped and then noticed it. No problems since.

timg147
    Free Member

The hose isnt leaking it just looks as though it is a bit crushed. Surely that will affect the amount / pressure of the oil and thus the braking force?

I dont think there is a barrel adjuster on the derailleur, i dont think this model came with it. I assume that since I have changed various bits and the problems remain that it is probably set up???

gnusmas

Might be worth shortening hose and bleeding rear brake if for nothing else peace of mind.

Just checked my rear mech, i have the XT771 rapid rise model. There is no adjuster on my mech either, i remember setting it up with the adjuster on the shifter. Sounds like a set up issue to me.

coatesy
    Free Member

Worth checking your mech hanger’s straight too, often shows up as shifting fine at one end of the cassette, but getting worse at the other.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If the hose isn’t leaking then it’s not at fault

Kinked hoses can definitely make it harder to get a satisfactory bleed. The kink can act like a small springy reservoir and give a spongy feeling. for the sake of an olive and a bleed I’d shorten the hose.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Little Advise Please – Gears and Brakes’ is closed to new replies.