Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Litespeed saber – fixed build?
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a litespeed saber tt frame that I bought to do ironman on this year, however with work commitments I am unable too. I have tried a few times to sell this frame (still available if anyone is keen) but nobody seemed interested.

Rather than have this frame just sat gathering dust, I may build it into a fixie, does anyone think I would have any problems doing so? Not gonna do any tt’s so I’ll use it as a coffee bike! How would I go about achieving the chain tension? The dropouts on the rear are adjustable it would seem but I am unsure as what for.

Thanks

Sven

In theory, you can convert it into a fixed gear bike, but it would be a rather nice one indeed.
    In short, the main two problems I can see are: 1) The ‘drop-outs’ are indeed horizontal ones rear-facing which is what you want for a singlespeed/fixed gear, however, they are not real track-ends and only designed so that one can move the rear-wheel as close to the seat tube as possible for aerodynamic reasons, not to tension a chain, so you would have to check whether you have at least 1/2 inch movement; in the worst case, you would have to play around with a few chainring/sprocket combinations. 2) Most fixed gear rear hubs are spaced for 120mm, but there should be some around for 130mm.

Sven

toppers3933
    Free Member

you can alter the spacing on a phil wood hub to accommodate 130mm spacing. not a cheap hub though. you obviously just ned to be careful of the chain line.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I didn’t consider the face that the dropouts would not be long enough, I will have to check. The bike has chain tugs fitted but again whether these will be of any use is yet to be told. I will look into hub spacing.

Josh

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Litespeed saber – fixed build?’ is closed to new replies.